AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, received my MFW-15 today, HOLY CRAP I underestimated the size of this thing. Anyways, hooked it up, did some quick MCACC auto setup and then fired up Iron Man and Master and Commander, and while I enjoyed my reunion with bass immensely, there was still a lot left to be desired and I'm thinking room acoustics might be playing significantly into why the bass just doesn't feel like it has significant impact except for when it's blaring at reference level.

This is my first real (non-passive/HTIB) sub so please bare with me as I try to work out how to figure out where to properly place it.

I do have an Avia 2 DVD as well as a RS SPL meter that I intend to break out tomorrow, but I had neither the time nor energy to do it tonight. I'm mainly looking for other ideas to test tomorrow in order to try and find the ideal setup.

Here's a basic floorplan of my living room/kitchen/HT:

Other information:

Concrete slab foundation

Carpet flooring

Sub is firing into the 3 person couch currently

Ascend Acoustic 5.0 moving sale speakers

Here is what I have thought about trying so far:

Option A

Move couches apart further and place sub along the wall in between them

Option B

Move entertainment center out a little bit and put sub in the corner behind the entertainment center

Option C

Move the entertainment center and completely rearrange living room

I plan on getting some heavy curtains to be able to cover the window, but the wife has to pick them out first, etc. etc.

I'm open to any and all advice/suggestions, I figure I'm going to devote a number of hours tomorrow trying to make this system sing.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I would suggest you give the crawl test a shot. Choose which seat you want as the primary LP, put the sub there, then crawl around the room to locate where the bass sounds best. That's where you want the sub. If it's a location you can live with, then rearrange the furniture around it. Do this while you're home alone or else people will laugh at you.

·
Registered
639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/16958384

I would suggest you give the crawl test a shot. Choose which seat you want as the primary LP, put the sub there, then crawl around the room to locate where the bass sounds best. That's where you want the sub. If it's a location you can live with, then rearrange the furniture around it. Do this while you're home alone or else people will laugh at you.

Love the last part....wth are you doing?....uh its called a sub crawl.....whatever....

It works though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, rearranged the whole living room situation today and put the 2 person couch where the entertainment center was, and the entertainment center roughly where the 3 person couch was and then put the 3 person couch in the middle of the room, angled in towards the entertainment center. Also moved the sub out of that corner and to basically where my left surround was before. I played a LFE sweep at -10db and my head felt like it was going to implode sitting on the 2 person couch.

Unbelievable how much difference sub location can make. Much less boomy, with how much output that MFW-15 has for the room it's in there's definitely no need to throw it in the corner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.