AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I soon will go back home to my htpc (from dorms ;) ) ...

and I'm looking to re-do a little bit my htpc ...

so, if u could help me find some good, but cheap (I'm on small budget) stuff for htpc, I would appreciate it very much

so, I'm looking for:

1.) some nice DVD Firewire enclosure + firewire card

2.) Some Touchscreen tablet pc, that will be able to run Talisman and have wireless network, but cheap :)

3.) I don't know if there's a such thing, but I need a switch that I could connect to serial (or any other ) port and control it with program ... this switch should have 4 positions (that way I want to be able to connect my htpc to two TVs ... and choose on what TV I want to watch now ... or on both at the same time .. or on neither ;) )

Well, that's it I think ...

thx a lot :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anton_r

2.) Some Touchscreen tablet pc, that will be able to run Talisman and have wireless network, but cheap :)
Many of us are using Fujitsu Point 510 tablets off eBay for under $200. I picked up four of them for $125 each :)

These are still available if you search on "Stylistic" or "Fujitsu 510"

These will run Talisman fine. You can put Windows 98se on it. Even better you could run VNC (PCAnywhere like) remote control or Windows Terminal Server to remotely control the HTPC.

I like Terminal Server because it can run independent of the HTPC's console.

The only issue with TS is the licensing - you get one freebie administrator license with Windows 2000 Server but if you want more you have to run the TS in Application server mode which can be costly. If you need more than one remote Tablet machine, use VNC.

Larry

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Plus Stan is working on DTPro specifically to provide a crestron competitor and as he has a 510 I belive it will be optimized enough to rn in the small resources of these machines...

·
Registered
396 Posts
You can use your finger if you design an interface with big buttone :)

Personally, I do not like cleaning the screen so often, so I use a pen that is attached to the tablet (the 510 come with a stylus or you can buy a PDA stylus to replace it).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.