AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble finding a tin-snip cuttable perforated metal for use as a grill in my subwoofer build. The 18" grill I ordered from PE is 7/8" deep, way over the depth that I need. I did find an aluminum panel at Grainger that has an open space percentage of 77%, which is excellent. Here's a link:

Opinions on whether the Granger offering would be good enough? Or any alternatives?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Try searching for perforated aluminum automotive grill material on Ebay. They are marketed for guys making custom car grills, but there seem to be a fair amount of options out there, and you can get them in black!

That said, I have ordered that same sheet from Grainger to make some speaker grills a few years back. Mine were for some pretty small driver 5.25's, but for an 18" woofer I don't think the 20g material will be stiff enough and would likely flex a lot in the middle so I'd look for a thicker material.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try searching for perforated aluminum automotive grill material on Ebay. They are marketed for guys making custom car grills, but there seem to be a fair amount of options out there, and you can get them in black!

That said, I have ordered that same sheet from Grainger to make some speaker grills a few years back. Mine were for some pretty small driver 5.25's, but for an 18" woofer I don't think the 20g material will be stiff enough and would likely flex a lot in the middle so I'd look for a thicker material.
Thanks a lot for the reply. It’s nice to get a first-hand user report on the Grainger grill. I’ve ordered it, but I can cancel if I need to.

I’m planning on modifying some L-brackets to hold the grill down around the woofer edge. Do you think that would hold the grill taught enough to resist deflection, assuming I use enough of the brackets? My concern about a thicker grill is it’s more difficult to cut.

I’ll definitely check eBay. Thanks again!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Aluminum unless somewhat thick is going dent/bend easily. You'll want to to use steel if you want a thin grill that's reasonably durable. That's why SVS used steel, not aluminum when pb2000 had a metal grill. If you really would like a thinner cloth grill why not make one ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aluminum unless somewhat thick is going dent/bend easily. You'll want to to use steel if you want a thin grill that's reasonably durable. That's why SVS used steel, not aluminum when pb2000 had a metal grill. If you really would like a thinner cloth grill why not make one ?
Thanks for the reply. I’m intend to use this metal grill behind a mellotone fabric frame so it will be hidden. The sub I’m building is intended to be used occasionally as a bench seat near a foosball table. I’ll inform people that they should resist kicking the speaker front, but I don’t trust the grandkids not to do that.

Since the metal grill will be hidden, it doesn’t have to be pretty, it just has to keep anything from reaching the speaker cone. If it does the job and gets a bit dented, that’s Ok.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Thanks a lot for the reply. It’s nice to get a first-hand user report on the Grainger grill. I’ve ordered it, but I can cancel if I need to.

I’m planning on modifying some L-brackets to hold the grill down around the woofer edge. Do you think that would hold the grill taught enough to resist deflection, assuming I use enough of the brackets? My concern about a thicker grill is it’s more difficult to cut.

I’ll definitely check eBay. Thanks again!
I used frames I had made out of MDF to hold the grill material and then used some of these to hold the grills to the speakers.

Grill Guides

If you're worried about the grill being kicked I'd be nervous going with this material. My main concern was finger pokes from toddlers, but kicks are another animal and I'm not certain this material would be strong enough. As other have mentioned I'd look into steel rather than aluminum.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I used frames I had made out of MDF to hold the grill material and then used some of these to hold the grills to the speakers.

Grill Guides

If you're worried about the grill being kicked I'd be nervous going with this material. My main concern was finger pokes from toddlers, but kicks are another animal and I'm not certain this material would be strong enough. As other have mentioned I'd look into steel rather than aluminum.
This looks pretty substantial - I just have to figure out how to cut it.

Edit: This looks like it might work as a cutter...

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
This looks pretty substantial - I just have to figure out how to cut it.

Edit: This looks like it might work as a cutter...
The nibbler would work, but I think you could manage just fine with a good metal blade on a jigsaw if you've got one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts