AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my HT speakers and need some advice. I know speaker choice is very subjective, but I don't have a lot places to go in my area to listen to them myself. I have listened to some KEF HTS2001.2 and DefTech BP 2002TLs. Have also listened to the Paradigm reference series and Canton (don't remember the series). I'm flexible on the budget, but don't want to get too outrageous. 98% of my speaker use will be for movies & TV, so music isn't that important. My room is about 14'x14' with a cathedral ceiling. I am mainly focusing on mains & center channel right now and will be looking for a new sub in the future. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Out of what you listened to what did you like better? That might help with recommendations of other brands/models that are similar in the sound qualities that you like.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was more partial to the DefTech I think. I didn't get to listen to them all at the same store, so I didn't really have a side by side comparison. I don't have a lot of choices of places to go to listen to better speakers. That's why I'm resorting to asking people for their opinions, even though I know speaker choice is very subjective. I do know that I prefer a warmer sounding speaker than one that sounds too bright or "tinny".

·
Registered
609 Posts
Your profile lists that you have Paradigm's front and center. Which models? Do you like the sound of those?

Also what is the limits of your budget?

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Whatever you choose, you will have a big peak at around 80 Hz in your room, according to your dimensions. I would set main speakers to "small" and set the lowpass on your sub (when you get one) down to about 60 Hz and make fine adjustments from there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm afraid I got a little ahead of myself in my profile. I was looking to pull the trigger on a set of Paradigms at the time I joined the forum, but decided to hold off to get some more info first. I guess I should go in and change that. My budget is pretty flexible right now, these are going to be a late Christmas present to myself. I'm not looking to spend more than $2,000 on mains and a center.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ah, I see. :D

Well, I do not know what the DefTechs sound like so I won't be of much help.

Some speakers you may want to give a listen to if you can, would be B&W, DynAudio, Totem, Rockets. There are many others too, I am sure someone will pipe up and name them. Some of these may fit your tastes. Too bad you don't have much of a selection to listen to in your area.

As long as you keep in mind that recommendations are ideas of what to listen to and not what to get you will be fine. There are many 'cheerleaders' that will say this is by far the best thing ever. Take it with a grain of salt. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm hoping that someone in my general area will give me some suggestions on where to go to listen to some of these. And yes, I'm sure I'll get some suggestions on what to buy, and I will take it with a grain of salt until I hear them. Again, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Try and arrange a listen to Klipsch, Polk and B&W. If you come back and tell us which one of those you liked best, you could receive many educated recommendations...

John

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd love to be able to listen to all of those, I'm just having trouble finding retailers locally that have them. Since I'm new to all of this, I don't know a great deal of places to go. Thanks for the heads up though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Yamaha RX V1300. Thanks for the tip also. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Def Techs great speakers, you will be very pleased..Kef good make, last time I had some Kef, was way back in 89, but my bro as their Q series and he swears by them. B&W great UK company, I only dislike their CC6 centre, just don't seem a great timbre match to their mains. Do they sell Krix anywhere there? Great aussie company and there KDX range are outstanding in my books..:)

Mark

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dude, you are absolutely asking the WRONG person about whether they sell Krix speakers here. I have a hard enough time trying to research just the US speaker makers with all there is to pick from. But I will do some research on them to see if they do. Thanks for the input and have a g'day.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
superdave65,

You might want to go the company's wesite of the speakers that have been recommend to you that you are having trouble locating a dealer for. Most of them have a page to search for dealers in your area.

Thanks,

BB

·
Registered
14 Posts
I see that you are in Richmond VA. There are several good places in the Tidewater area to listen to some pretty good stuff. When I lived there I went to a place in Hampton just off I-64 I think was called Audio Approach. Also, there are many good places up I-95 in the DC/Northern Virginia area to listen and shop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.