AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello! I ask your advice: what speakers are better for a large room (55 square meters)
1) klipsch cornwall
2) magnepan 3.6
3) vandersteen 3 signature
4) vienna acoustik baby grand
5) bang Olufsen ms-150.2 ( vintage)
6) technics sb-8000 (vintage)
7) Dali helicon 400
8) .....?????

I listen to jazz, pink floyd, Led Zeppelin and classical music

·
The Village Idiot
9,719 Posts
The larger the room the more efficiency you should look for in a speaker - unless you have some very stout receiver or amp to play them. The Klipsch you have on the list are probably the most efficient.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The larger the room the more efficiency you should look for in a speaker - unless you have some very stout receiver or amp to play them. The Klipsch you have on the list are probably the most efficient.
thanks for the quick response!
if I choose between cornwall 1 (vintage), 2 (vintage) and 3 which one is best for classical music and jazz ?

·
The Village Idiot
9,719 Posts
Any speaker that can cover the full range of sound well should be able to play any music you put to them. I've never bought into the idea that a speaker that does classical well cannot do rock n roll well. Pick the speaker that sounds best to you. You can't go very far wrong if you do that.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
hello! I ask your advice: what speakers are better for a large room (55 square meters)
1) klipsch cornwall
2) magnepan 3.6
3) vandersteen 3 signature
4) vienna acoustik baby grand
5) bang Olufsen ms-150.2 ( vintage)
6) technics sb-8000 (vintage)
7) Dali helicon 400
8) .....?????

I listen to jazz, pink floyd, Led Zeppelin and classical music
I own the Magnepan 3.6 in a large room (but not as large as yours). I too listen to classical and Pink Floyd (and a lot of similar music). I only have a few jazz and Led Zeppelin CDs. The Maggies are terrific for all kinds of music. Their soundstage is huge, deep and articulate. However, they have a sensitivity rating of 84 dB, so I would suggest a pretty powerful amplifier to drive them. I’m running mine with a 200 watt/channel McIntosh amplifier, so that would be the minimum power I’d use for your size room (choose whatever amp you like). I also suggest that if you listen to music with synthesizers (such as Pink Floyd) or pipe organs, that you also get a high quality subwoofer to help the bottom end. The Maggies do go down to around 34 Hz, however.

What I suggest is that you setup appointments for the top contenders on your list. Bring your favorite music and spend an hour or two for each speaker you are auditioning. I also recommend that you audition these speakers more than once. After all, it is you that needs to be happy, not me. What I love in a speaker, you may not.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I own the Magnepan 3.6 in a large room (but not as large as yours). I too listen to classical and Pink Floyd (and a lot of similar music). I only have a few jazz and Led Zeppelin CDs. The Maggies are terrific for all kinds of music. Their soundstage is huge, deep and articulate. However, they have a sensitivity rating of 84 dB, so I would suggest a pretty powerful amplifier to drive them. I’m running mine with a 200 watt/channel McIntosh amplifier, so that would be the minimum power I’d use for your size room (choose whatever amp you like). I also suggest that if you listen to music with synthesizers (such as Pink Floyd) or pipe organs, that you also get a high quality subwoofer to help the bottom end. The Maggies do go down to around 34 Hz, however.

What I suggest is that you setup appointments for the top contenders on your list. Bring your favorite music and spend an hour or two for each speaker you are auditioning. I also recommend that you audition these speakers more than once. After all, it is you that needs to be happy, not me. What I love in a speaker, you may not.
Thanks for the detailed answer!
Which acoustics did you compared before buy Magnepan?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Thanks for the detailed answer!
Which acoustics did you compared before buy Magnepan?
I've listened to line arrays (one from McIntosh) and two Martin Logan ESLs (the Summits and the Vantage). I also auditioned the Martin Logan ESL Ethos a couple of years later. I simply love the sound of panels, so that was what I focused on. I also auditioned the Magnepan 20.1 and Magnepan 1.7. I found that once I heard panels, it was hard to listen to box speakers. But hey, that is just me. It is critical for you to audition and judge for yourself. I wish you the best of luck on your search, and have fun while you are doing it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts