AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello all.  Been lurking the forums for a while and thought I'd join and start off by saying that I never could have realized how many options you have in this field.

I'm looking into a brand new home theater setup, and the size of my current room isn't of concern because I'm going to be moving in approx. 1 1/2 months.  I am still waiting to get official measurements of the new room, but it is considerably smaller than where I am right now.  (I'm guessing it's no more than 14x16, all enclosed).

After a lot of reading/research, I decided to jump on the Denon E300 receiver over the weekend when it was on sale for $199 at Amazon (not looking for a ton out of my receiver, everything I'm using is HDMI and this thing seems to have the power to push anything I could be looking at).  Step one complete.  Now I'm looking into speakers.  This will be a budget system, as I'm looking to not spend more than $600ish on speakers.  The wife isn't really pleased with me spending any on this new hobby of mine, so that is about all the rope I've got at the moment.  Based off of my reading, I'm leaning towards the Pioneer Andrew Jones series for my front 3, the SP-FS52 towers or bookshelfs, and the CP-22 center channel.  Then, I've been debating about a sub and have been reading that the Dayton 12" is a very good sub on a budget that is currently $120 or so I believe shipped.  I know the Pioneer's seem to go on sale every so often at Fry's/Newegg, so I am holding off to jump on them when they go on sale.  However, I did go into Best Buy to test them out and they were demoing them hooked up to an FM tuner, which just sounded terrible.  I'm thinking of buying them full price and taking them home for a test drive, and then returning them within the return policy.  Is that kind of thing frowned upon?  I want to test them to make sure they're what I want, but listening to an FM station that's cutting out isn't the best way to demo a speaker.

Anyways, the TL;DR version is that I'm leaning towards going 3.1 for the current time and adding rears later.  For a speaker budget of roughly $600 for fronts and a sub (I know this is a low amount, and if I need to I can maybe add a bit more, but this will most likely be where I'm at).

This system will be used for video games, movies, and music. Probably 60% TV/Video games, 20% music, 20% movies.

Hope I added any information that was necessary.  I apologize if I left out some important info, and sorry for the wall of text.  Will appreciate any insight you all have.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
The Pioneers are a good choice, I would definitely recommend going with the BS22s and C22, and then add this Reaction sub: http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/products/bps-212-powered-subwoofer

It will perform much better than the Dayton, and really improve the overall sound. Later on you can grab another pair of BS22 for surrounds to complete your 5.1.

Another option to consider is the Infinity Primus speakers, a pair of P163 and a PC351 center would sound very good. This would leave a little less money for a sub, so you have to decide where your preferences are.

One last suggestion, and probably the one I like the most, is to go with Home Theater Direct (HTD). They make great speakers, at an affordable price, and offer a 30 day in-home trial with free shipping both ways. A pair of the Level Two bookshelves , and Level Two center would run you $330, and maybe you can still squeeze in that Reaction BPS 212. If not, maybe consider a pair of the Dayton SUB-1200.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1526539/looking-for-speakers-for-brand-new-home-theater-setup#post_24586836

The Pioneers are a good choice, I would definitely recommend going with the BS22s and C22, and then add this Reaction sub: http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/products/bps-212-powered-subwoofer

It will perform much better than the Dayton, and really improve the overall sound. Later on you can grab another pair of BS22 for surrounds to complete your 5.1.

+1

This would be a great setup to start with, and you could always add the Pioneer towers later for the front and move the BS22 to the rear. That sub would be a significant improvement over the Dayton, and it would pair well with whatever speakers you go with.

·
Registered
19,559 Posts
I would go with the HTD recommendation in post #2 - with the Reaction Audio sub.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1526539/looking-for-speakers-for-brand-new-home-theater-setup#post_24586836

One last suggestion, and probably the one I like the most, is to go with Home Theater Direct (HTD). They make great speakers, at an affordable price, and offer a 30 day in-home trial with free shipping both ways. A pair of the Level Two bookshelves , and Level Two center would run you $330, and maybe you can still squeeze in that Reaction BPS 212. If not, maybe consider a pair of the Dayton SUB-1200.
x2

HTD has an in home trial period too so you can try them out in your home, and return them if you don't like them

As for pioneers just ask the sales person what the return policy is if you don't like the speakers. If they are giving you a hard time then I wouldn't purchase speakers you already didn't like the sound of. See if they can hook them up so you can demo them with your iPod or a CD. Best place to demo speakers though is in your home.

Great move on that receiver Denon makes a decent receiver

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the helpful replies! Ive been reading through the subwoofer forum and I was curious if the BIC F12 is a huge step down from the Reaction sub? It is around $150 cheaper I believe.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor47  /t/1526539/looking-for-speakers-for-brand-new-home-theater-setup#post_24589482

Thanks for the helpful replies! Ive been reading through the subwoofer forum and I was curious if the BIC F12 is a huge step down from the Reaction sub? It is around $150 cheaper I believe.
yes it is a huge step down

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Went to HTD to add the items to my cart and check out the speakers and saw that the center is only available in Dark Cherry and the bookshelves are only available in black.  Says on the website that the center should be available in black in late May.  I may run to BB and try and get a good demo of those Pioneers, or maybe just buy them and give them a test to last me until May gets here since, after reading, the HTD route seems like a better route to take possibly.

Also, another question that I'm trying to find a good solution for (sorry to keep adding them on).  I have a 60" Panasonic plasma that is not mounted but that is just using the stand that the TV came with.  It's just sitting on an entertainment center, but there's not a lot of space between the bottom of the screen and the stand itself.  The TV is super thin, so sitting the center channel on top of the TV won't work, and if I were to sit a decent sized center on the stand, it would easily go 3-4 inches into the bottom portion of the TV viewing screen.  I thought of constructing some kind of box to sit my TV on while it's on the entertainment center, but that seems like a really bad idea, yet mounting the speakers on the wall isn't really an option.  I had contemplated sitting the center behind the TV, but I feel like that's counterproductive and would not be good for the audio quality.  I do have a bay in the center of the stand that I could sit the center channel vertically, but the center would be quite a bit lower than I plan on having the bookshelves when I get them.  Ideally it's not a great setup, and I'm trying to look for ways around this.  I can attach a few pictures if that would possibly help display my issue?

Thanks for all the helpful tips guys.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor47  /t/1526539/looking-for-speakers-for-brand-new-home-theater-setup#post_24589760

Went to HTD to add the items to my cart and check out the speakers and saw that the center is only available in Dark Cherry and the bookshelves are only available in black.  Says on the website that the center should be available in black in late May.  I may run to BB and try and get a good demo of those Pioneers, or maybe just buy them and give them a test to last me until May gets here since, after reading, the HTD route seems like a better route to take possibly.

Also, another question that I'm trying to find a good solution for (sorry to keep adding them on).  I have a 60" Panasonic plasma that is not mounted but that is just using the stand that the TV came with.  It's just sitting on an entertainment center, but there's not a lot of space between the bottom of the screen and the stand itself.  The TV is super thin, so sitting the center channel on top of the TV won't work, and if I were to sit a decent sized center on the stand, it would easily go 3-4 inches into the bottom portion of the TV viewing screen.  I thought of constructing some kind of box to sit my TV on while it's on the entertainment center, but that seems like a really bad idea, yet mounting the speakers on the wall isn't really an option.  I had contemplated sitting the center behind the TV, but I feel like that's counterproductive and would not be good for the audio quality.  I do have a bay in the center of the stand that I could sit the center channel vertically, but the center would be quite a bit lower than I plan on having the bookshelves when I get them.  Ideally it's not a great setup, and I'm trying to look for ways around this.  I can attach a few pictures if that would possibly help display my issue?

Thanks for all the helpful tips guys.

Why not just wall-mount your TV? You can get a good quality mount from www.monoprice.com for like $20, it takes about 15 minutes to install it and then you can sit the center on top without obstructing the picture.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Even though we are moving, we will still be renting so I will have to check with the landlord to see if that's an option.  I know mounts don't require too much besides finding a few studs on the walls.  I will give them a call here in a bit and see their thoughts on that.

I'm planning on going into Best Buy tonight to see if they can demo those speakers with some good quality audio and see what I think then, but will most likely purchase them (depending on the return policy if I don't like them) so I can get some testing done in my home.  I think I picked a bad time to get the itch to do all of this since we are moving pretty soon and the rooms will be significantly different.  General consensus seems that if I am going to push for a good sub (the Reaction one previously mentioned in the thread), then going with the towers up front wouldn't gain me much improvement over the bookshelves?

Thanks again guys.  Appreciate the time.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Yeah I would skip the towers, you get more value with bookshelves and a sub. Best Buy lets you hear the speakers, but the speakers will sound different in your room, and this is where auditions are the most effective. They have a 14 day return policy so feel free to try them at home too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Ended up going to the local Best Buy tonight and got the SP-BS22 Pioneer bookshelves and the SP-C22 center channel.  I heard the towers in the store but they didn't have the bookshelves hooked up so I haven't had a chance to test them yet, but assume the sound is pretty comparable (albeit a bit less bass).  I haven't ordered the Reaction sub yet, but the manager offered to give me a Polk Audio PSW110 while I was there for $115, new in box.  The sub didn't seem to put out much bass, but I figured I could test it out for up to the 30 days I have with the return policy, and if it doesn't perform (which I'm pretty confident it won't), I can return it with no issues.  I will be hooking this all up after work tomorrow and am super excited and will post my impressions of the Pioneers!  If I'm not 100% blown away, I will be returning them and will most likely wait for the HTD to get the same color of center/L&R speakers and will order them, and will most likely order the Reaction sub while it's still on sale so I can ensure that I'll get it for the $329.  

Thanks for everyone's input, and feel free to chime in with any other tips/tricks/suggestions.  It's much appreciated!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
The Reaction Audio sub will be very superior to the PSW10. Don't mess up the packing on it. You'll want to return it if you can get the RA sub

I would email them and ask if perhaps there is one left.

·
Registered
19,559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor47  /t/1526539/looking-for-speakers-for-brand-new-home-theater-setup#post_24594434

Well, looks like I snoozed on the Reaction sub and it appears to be sold out at the moment...

You should have set the alarm clock!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1526539/looking-for-speakers-for-brand-new-home-theater-setup#post_24594463

The Reaction Audio sub will be very superior to the PSW10. Don't mess up the packing on it. You'll want to return it if you can get the RA sub

I would email them and ask if perhaps there is one left.
I emailed and asked if they had any in stock, and if not asked when they may be back in stock.  Hopefully they have one left!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1526539/looking-for-speakers-for-brand-new-home-theater-setup#post_24594476

You should have set the alarm clock!
You snooze, you lose!  I don't mind dropping the extra on the sub if it's that big of an upgrade, otherwise I'd be dropping $150ish now only to drop the $350 or so later, may as well just save money up front so I only have to buy one. 

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor47  /t/1526539/looking-for-speakers-for-brand-new-home-theater-setup#post_24594513

I emailed and asked if they had any in stock, and if not asked when they may be back in stock.  Hopefully they have one left!

They are closing them out. So your best hope is that someone cancels their order.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1526539/looking-for-speakers-for-brand-new-home-theater-setup#post_24594524

They are closing them out. So your best hope is that someone cancels their order.
Sent them an email last night and got a reply that they were back on sale today (have about a two week lead time on the order), but I went ahead and placed it so hopefully I'll have it in a little over two weeks! I am just now opening up the Pioneers and the Polk sub to set them up and give them a shot, so I will give 2 weeks to the Polk and hope I receive the Reaction shortly after and I can see what a difference it will make.  

Will post impressions later, but can't wait to get it all going.

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions.  Been reading about that Reaction sub and have read nothing but great things.  Can't wait to get it all setup.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
That's great that you will be able to get it. I'm sure it will sound quite nice

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same problem as you with the center channel. I decided that I need to buy a new stand with tv mount. My tv is in front of windows, so I can't wall mount. As a temporary fix, I built a shelf attached to my current stand, to set my center abovethe tv.

I already had the L brackets and a shelf. I got the supports from work. I drilled through the back wall of my stand, used bolts, washers and locknuts to secure it. I would suggest sturdier L brackets, these flex a little from the weight of the center.

Wow, these pics made me realize how much dust collects behind my tv, I just put this up two weekends ago.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts