AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a home cinema room (4 x 5 meters) with two Proson Stratego Top 10 SAH front speakers, Dynavoice C-6 center and Dynavoice F-6 back. Subwoofer is SVS PCi 25-31 (cylinder). Projector and 106" screen. Yamaha V-661 receiver. I've also another room with the Cerwin Vega CLS series (CLS-10/ CLS-6/ CLS-6C) in a 5.1 setup along with a Zachry 10" subwoofer. Yamaha V-657 receiver. I'm currently testing a NAD effect amplifier, but didn't notice any improvement with the Proson speakers.

I'm not pleased with the bass-sound of the Proson-speakers compared to CV, and I think the treble has a tendency to "scream" in both those and the Dynavoice speakers, especially at high volume. Generally the treble is dominant compared to the bass, I want it the other way round. CV doesn't have this problem, but I suppose they are more limited in the range of treble/ midtone (even though my ears aren't that sensitive in that area). The SVS subwoofer is very good at the lowest frequenzies, but I need more bass in the front speakers for the freqenzies above the sub bass level. After all it doesn't take that much to make film audio sound good, so most of these observations come from musicals and pure stereo music. I mostly listen to pop/ dance/ trance/ heavy (mostly ballads these days). On film everything from European drama to Hollywood-action. A good center is of course important for natural voices/ song.

I wish to replace Proson/ Dynavoice with another brand, I have considered Klipsch and Infinity that have special back-speakers made especially for home cinema surround and that can be installed directly on the wall (floor/ shelf speakers will be hard to place in this room because of windows and door openings). The alternative is to go for Cerwin-Vega in this room as well for front and center, but combined with other back speakers. Klipsch costs a bit more, so it depends if it's worth it. I'll begin with back speakers since I can't place the ones I have now correctly.

Anyone with input? Can I get Cerwin Vega's bass (also at moderate volume) combined with a better, but still laid-back treble that don't "scream" like Proson/ Dynavoice? What about Infinity or Klipsch?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, since I already have one room with CV speakers, it would be nice to have something else in the other room - with better midtone/ treble. However, I still want good bass. I'm thinking around US$ 1200 (for the front speakers).

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeb /forum/post/14324208

What about Infinity?

The Beta and Primus are, IME, quite accurate speakers, so that may not be what you are looking for. Bright recordings sound bright. I've never heard the Cascades outside of a store (and the demo setup was too poor to have any value). Based on the white paper for the new driver tech, I'm guessing they are at least as accurate. Bass extension is not so good (small cabinets), so you'd want two of the matching Cascade subs. That's gonna get expensive. Good luck!

Another idea is have you dealt with room acoustics?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeb /forum/post/14324504

Well, since I already have one room with CV speakers, it would be nice to have something else in the other room - with better midtone/ treble. However, I still want good bass. I'm thinking around US$ 1200 (for the front speakers).

According to this reviewer these CVs don't sound too bad. Less than a grand MSRP too.......should have the bass you're looking for.

I'd like to hear a set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts