AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Denon AVR1611 and waiting for it to arrive. I was going to order the Polk RM6750 from newegg for $179, but I missed the deal and now they are $229. Is that the best price I'm going to find including shipping? I am trying to keep my cost around $200 right now. I wish I could spend more, but jst can't do it right now. Any suggestions would be helpful and where to find the best deals would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

erik

Oh yeah, looking for a 5.1 w/ sub room size is about 15' x 25' with one of the walls open to kitchen and dinning room.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
for a larger room, I would not recommend typical small "satellite" speaker bundles. Look at either smaller towers and bookshelf speakers, or bookshelf units all around. Polk Monitor's from newegg.com or Infinity Primus speakers from crutchfield.com are excellent starting points.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I would go with front speakers for now. Infinity Primus speakers are really nice and a good value. Add the center and rear speakers later to make a 5.0 system. I would spend some money on a sub ($500+) to really get the bass you need. The subwoofer forum is a great resource and can get you a great sub for much less than one bought in a store from the large manufacturers. Internet Direct is a great way to go for a sub.

Vanmeter has a great point about small satellite speakers. They won't do a room that large justice which will only cost you more money later. You most likely will not like the sound that you get from small speakers. You really want speakers that can play to 60hz on the low end so a subwoofer can blend with them nicely. If you cross the subwoofer too high (100hz or more) you will be able to localize the bass which sucks. Some voices will come from the sub.

A really nice 2.0 system will sound much better than a cheap 5.1 system. With every speaker you add you will just be happier. Do fronts first, Rears second and a center afterwards (use the phantom center setting). You could add a subwoofer at any point if you can afford to. A sub can make a world of difference to a system overall.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info...I appreciate it and will keep in all in mind.

Im sorry guys, I forgot to mention the fact my wife isnt into the "bigger speakers" I would love to get towers or larger speakers and tried to comprimise to a smaller bookshelf speaker, but hasnt worked out in my favor, as of right now. She see this money could be better spent elsewhere. So I would like to get something for now that will keep her happy, $$ wise, and me somewhat happy having something better than the cheap tv speakers...when I move into a bigger house down the road with a "man cave" I be able to step it up in the size of the speakers. So with that in mind am I doing ok with the polks rm6750 as thay are a bit bigger than the newer rm705s. Or is there another 5.1 set up you might recommend given my situation.

Thank you. I will pull up pictures of those speakers for her and see what I can pull off, if anything!!

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcruzin /forum/post/19580727

Thank you for the info...I appreciate it and will keep in all in mind.

Im sorry guys, I forgot to mention the fact my wife isnt into the "bigger speakers" I would love to get towers or larger speakers and tried to comprimise to a smaller bookshelf speaker, but hasnt worked out in my favor, as of right now. She see this money could be better spent elsewhere. So I would like to get something for now that will keep her happy, $$ wise, and me somewhat happy having something better than the cheap tv speakers...when I move into a bigger house down the road with a "man cave" I be able to step it up in the size of the speakers. So with that in mind am I doing ok with the polks rm6750 as thay are a bit bigger than the newer rm705s. Or is there another 5.1 set up you might recommend given my situation.

Thank you. I will pull up pictures of those speakers for her and see what I can pull off, if anything!!

i've got the 6750. I like them and they sounded good in my town house. Now that I am in a bigger house and just upgraded my receiver, I can tell that they are no longer suffcient for my needs. They will be fine for your needs. If you can afford it, check out the rc-micro 5.1 setup. Will be more expensive but probably be an upgrade.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19581199

If the wife isn't letting your get bigger speakers then the Polk RM 6750 is the best you can do given your budget. I think larger speakers would be better though for that room.

and by the way, they're on sale for just under $200 right now!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290066

Always like a price drop, they were $229 the other day!

I'll have to check out the rc speakers...I am a nebbie to this so I havent heard much of the brand or the price. Are the much better than the polk?

I know in time bigger speakers will come, jst wont be right now, or anytime too soon...

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcruzin /forum/post/19581669

Always like a price drop, they were $229 the other day!

I'll have to check out the rc speakers...I am a nebbie to this so I havent heard much of the brand or the price. Are the much better than the polk?

I know in time bigger speakers will come, jst wont be right now, or anytime too soon...

I started out with the polk and hadnt heard of any of the energy line either until about a month ago. They are a huge upgrade honestly. the polks are good but very underpowered and basically good for a dorm room or small apartment. personally, i would take the other advise and get two towers first or some good bookshelf speakers then upgrade as you go. if you really want 5.1 surround, at this price this is a good deal though

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds5x8 /forum/post/19582852

I started out with the polk and hadnt heard of any of the energy line either until about a month ago. They are a huge upgrade honestly. the polks are good but very underpowered and basically good for a dorm room or small apartment. personally, i would take the other advise and get two towers first or some good bookshelf speakers then upgrade as you go. if you really want 5.1 surround, at this price this is a good deal though

Is there any energy 5.1 set ups close to my price range that you know of? If at all possible in the similar size to the polks.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcruzin /forum/post/19587243

Is there any energy 5.1 set ups close to my price range that you know of? If at all possible in the similar size to the polks.

No there isn't...I would jump on the Polk RM6750 before you loose the $200 deal

The cheapest energy 5.1 is $400

I have the RM6750 in my living room 14.75' x 13.5' which opens to my kitchen and its does its job pretty well. To be honest the subwoofer could have more bass but it still surprises me. If I wasn't an active member here I wouldn't be looking for an upgrade

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help on this everyone...I pulled the trigger and picked up the RM6750 from newegg last night. For the price, right now, it seems to be my best option. I will keep in ind the book shelf speakers for later...by that time I'm sure there will be something better out, but we'll see then!

Now it just waiting on the hdmi's and speakers to arrive to get it all wired up and working...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I"ll probably jump on this deal too. Seems like a good entry level set matched well to our cozy living room (15x15) and our new 47" LG LCD.

Figuring:

$200 for speakers

$200 +/- for amp (probably go the refurb route)

$100 +/- for Blu-ray

Still searching the reviews on Blu-rays and receivers. TV is here, wall mount isn't, and I still need to get some cables/wires to hook everything up.

So, if anyone has any recommendations for a good matching receiver/amp to match up to the Polk 5.1's, let me know.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My policy: She's aware of the Infinity primus line costs (we own 11 speakers in all), however the $1200 I spent for the pair of HSU VTF2 Mark 3's, $350 for the Sennheiser HD650's, and the $1100 I spent on the refurb Onkyo tx nr3007 are all a closely guarded secret (of sorts). Luckily she doesnt ask and its not discussed. I doubt she would understand the value of any of it, thats something that only research can teach...

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type A /forum/post/19602801

My policy: She's aware of the Infinity primus line costs (we own 11 speakers in all), however the $1200 I spent for the pair of HSU VTF2 Mark 3's, $350 for the Sennheiser HD650's, and the $1100 I spent on the refurb Onkyo tx nr3007 are all a closely guarded secret (of sorts). Luckily she doesnt ask and its not discussed. I doubt she would understand the value of any of it, thats something that only research can teach...

The moral of the story. Just bring things home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.