AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a pair of bookshelf speakers that will stand on their own without a sub. I'll either run them off a 10 year old 100watt analog stereo receiver/amp, or a JVC or Panasonic digital surround receiver/amp.

I am considering: Athena AS-B2.2, Onix Reference .5 or Onix X-Is, Axiom M3 Ti.

However, I am open to any suggestions. Again, I'm looking for performance without a sub, and these speakers are exclusively for music. My budget is up to $400, but I would like to keep it closer to $250 range.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lytalbayre /forum/post/0

My budget is up to $400, but I would like to keep it closer to $250 range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/0

If you can swing $500 then the ERA book shelf speakers are the best book shelves I have ever heard especially for music.

Doesn't look to me like the OP will be swinging for a $500 set of speakers.

---------------------------

lytalbayre,

I suggest taking a look at the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 Bookshelf Speakers

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time /forum/post/0

Doesn't look to me like the OP will be swinging for a $500 set of speakers.

---------------------------

lytalbayre,

I suggest taking a look at the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 Bookshelf Speakers

Well, it was just a thought. I don't think he is going to get the Bass response he is asking to get for under $400. Why don't we let the OP say whether he would be willing to go up to $500 if he can not get what he wants for under that?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:

I want a pair of bookshelf speakers that will stand on their own without a sub. I'll either run them off a 10 year old 100watt analog stereo receiver/amp, or a JVC or Panasonic digital surround receiver/amp.

I am considering: Athena AS-B2.2, Onix Reference .5 or Onix X-Is, Axiom M3 Ti.

However, I am open to any suggestions. Again, I'm looking for performance without a sub, and these speakers are exclusively for music. My budget is up to $400, but I would like to keep it closer to $250 range.

Thanks for the help.

Take a look at Energy C-200 also.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC200

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Quote:

Well, it was just a thought. I don't think he is going to get the Bass response he is asking to get for under $400. Why don't we let the OP say whether he would be willing to go up to $500 if he can not get what he wants for under that?

You simply disregarded the OP's budget. And now to have implied that I somehow restricted the OP from saying whether he would be willing to spend up to $500, is simply wrong. Why? The OP already stated his budget; that means he already determined he would not be willing to spend up to $500. An apology to the OP and to me is in order. Think about it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would want a sub even If with most towers. But If you want bookshelves w/o a sub, put the swan 2.1s on your list. They're a large front ported bookshelf In your budget. Although there advertised to go down to 50Hz, they start falling off around 70Hz. Still impressive for a speaker in that price range.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time /forum/post/0

You simply disregarded the OP's budget. And now to have implied that I somehow restricted the OP from saying whether he would be willing to spend up to $500, is simply wrong. Why? The OP already stated his budget; that means he already determined he would not be willing to spend up to $500. An apology to the OP and to me is in order. Think about it.

No apology here. The OP said "I am open to any suggestions. Again, I'm looking for performance without a sub". I simply said that I don't think he will get what he is looking for in a less than $400 pair of speakers. I stated that if he doesn't find a pair for less than $400 then the Era 4's will meet his requirements if he is willing to step up to the $500 price range.

He even said that his "knowledge is limited, that's why I am asking for suggestions." I was just trying to point out that for a little more than his max he could get a whole lot more bang for his buck.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Quote:

$500 is a little steep for me. I know my budget won't allow for the best out there. I'd like the best I can get for my budget. My knowledge is limited, that's why I am asking for suggestions.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevdart /forum/post/0

Budgets are ******** and everybody knows that. You want something for nothing? You get nothing.

I think what we've got here folks is a reading comprehension issue.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Quote:

No apology here. The OP said "I am open to any suggestions. Again, I'm looking for performance without a sub". I simply said that I don't think he will get what he is looking for in a less than $400 pair of speakers. I stated that if he doesn't find a pair for less than $400 then the Era 4's will meet his requirements if he is willing to step up to the $500 price range.

He even said that his "knowledge is limited, that's why I am asking for suggestions." I was just trying to point out that for a little more than his max he could get a whole lot more bang for his buck.

I wasn't expecting an apology; I just said think about it.

OP has a budget, said it twice now, and yet you can't understand that when he asks for suggestions, he's asking for suggestions within his budget. duh...

Edit: he even states "in my budget" in the title of this thread. Come on already!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

Quote:

I would have to 2nd this the Era's are great speakers the Design 4s are awsome!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Maybe the OP should just buy his speaker wire now and wait until he can afford something "up to standard". Come on fellas, $400 budget but closer to $250 is what OP said. He said he was open to suggestions beyond the speakers he listed, not about his budget.

I'd second the Ascend 170SEs, and also suggest the usual suspects at HTD.com (Middies and Level 2s under budget for sure; Level 3s are close I think) with their no risk guarantee. Also check out Audiogon.com and the 'for sale' section here for good used options. You can get pretty good 2 channel sound for your budget without a sub.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know if anyone is following this thread. I decided I can up my budget a little. I'm interested in the ERAs, but I don't have anyplace locally that carries them, and I can't seem to find a source online.

I was also considering a used paire of B&W 602 S3. What's the consensus on them?? I missed an auction for a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 4i speakers that looked really sweet!

The ascend acoustics look like they perform well, but they are one ugly speaker. They're for my office, but if I ever take them home WAF factor comes into play.

Anyhow, thank all for your help.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.