AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Currently I'm running a Logitech z5500 sound system for my music and home theater. I'm looking to upgrade to a real sound system and I'm pretty set on Aperion Audio for my speakers, but I'm wondering if perhaps there is a better sub out there. If not, I would be going with the Bravus II 12D .

I like the Aperion Sub because it has pretty good frequency response, smallish form factor, parametric EQ, and it looks great. Here's my information:

Room size: 15ft by 20ft by 8ft

Usage: 50% home theater, 50% music

Form factor: Smaller is better, I wouldn't want to go bigger than 20" for l, w, and height.

Finish: Nice is good, but don't need it. Satin black or whatever would be fine.

Price: I'd like to stay at or under $1000 for a single sub. I've heard that running two subs is best, and I'd be willing to go up to $1500 for two good subs.

Timeframe: I'd like the sub to be available within a few weeks of ordering it.

Listening habits: Usually medium volume. Comfortable to listen to. Sometimes I go loud, but my current Logitech system really can't go all that loud anyway, so I'm not an "above concert level" listener.

Here's what I would like in a sub:

- Musical, precise bass tones that don't just sound like booms

- Tactile response, I like to feel explosions in movies and the double bass hits of hardcore music, etc.

- Some way to EQ the sub for the room

- Good finish and smallish form factor

- Something that will last me a long time (quality and durability wise)

- At least 20hz peformance at -3dB

Thanks in advance for your replies!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
20" high is not a hard limit, but I don't want to end up with a huge subwoofer that looks very much out of place.

·
Premium Member
7,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcisbig /forum/post/0

20" high is not a hard limit, but I don't want to end up with a huge subwoofer that looks very much out of place.

With a 50/50 music movie split and that size room I second the vtf3 mk3. Or the outlaw audio Lfm-1 ex which is on sale right now.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, anyone have any other suggestions? Out of what has been suggested so far, I like the HSU VTF-15H the best. However, there are some significant trade offs here versus the default Aperion Bravus II 12D. The Bravus gives me a parametric EQ, remote, better finish for the price, better 30-Day return/guarantee policy, and better size/form factor. It seems that the HSU would give me sound customizability that I wouldn't have with the Bravus, as well as more output.

Any other advice?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts