AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm looking into getting a new DD player with upconvert thru the RGB cables (component) I would like a few suggestions as to what I should look into.

I want to spend under $200 and will prob be going to either Circuit City or Best Buy

any help is greatly appreciated

thanx!

Rob

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsoca /forum/post/0

Hi all I'm looking into getting a new DD player with upconvert thru the RGB cables (component) I would like a few suggestions as to what I should look into.

I want to spend under $200 and will prob be going to either Circuit City or Best Buy

any help is greatly appreciated

thanx!

Rob

Upconversion through component is getting hard to find because the industry doesn't like it. It is frequently asked for here, so search for threads with "component" in the title and you will find recommendations.

The Oppo 970 is a bargain at $149. It upconverts over component if you apply an unsupported firmware hack. Not available in stores, internet only.

-Bill

·
Registered
708 Posts
Closest you're going to get to a retailer selling a player doing what you want is overstock.com who's selling refurbed LG DV418b's

or www.kingwell.com (though obviously an internet vendor)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responses guys...but I have a few more questions.....

would there be any benifits in getting the oppo 971 modle?

will it still do what I am looking for with the upconvert theru component with the unsupported code put in?

and last will the 971 give a better picture than the 970?

thanx again!

Rob

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,496 Posts

Quote:

will it still do what I am looking for with the upconvert theru component with the unsupported code put in?

thanx again!

Rob

The 971 has component but that port is not supported like the DVI port; performance is nothing special, so 971 is pretty much considered DVI-only, as the 981 is HDMI-only. Both have composite and s-video but those are for diagnostic support.

The 970 is their only quality component system.

-Bill

·
Registered
16,177 Posts

Quote:

thanx again!

Rob

The 971 should be avoided if you have to use component (it cannot upscale over component and cannot even send a 480p signal over component).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.