AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there all, I am looking for suggestions on what to do with my Dad's proposed set up in his basement.

He's all gung ho to use the cavity under his stairwell to recess his new 50" RPTV in and then have the speakers flush mounted in the wall.

I would like to future proof the speaker cavities a bit since the two sons got him an entry level set of HT speakers and he's likely to get better ones over the years. The thought would be to build shelves into the rear of the wall where we want the speakers to go that are about the same size as the gap between the studs which should be plenty for any future speakers. What the real problem is is how to finish the other side.

Ideally I'd like to not leave a hole in the wall with these small speakers sitting in these big holes so the thought is to get some speaker grill cloth and adhese it to the wall somehow. My original thought would be to do it like GoM fabric with furring strips on the outside and then finishing it with some trim to match what will go around the TV opening but I don't know how I'll get the trim to look since it will be raised from the wall. One solution for that that came to mind was to use wainscotting trim since it has a "ledge" that could help but it's hard to say. The other thought would be to staple directly into the drywall and then just trim over that but I'm not sure that would work that well. The other suggestion by a co-worker was to do the furring strips on the inside of the hole with the cloth but I don't think it would look that great either.

So there's my long post, any advice from you guys on how to approach this would be great.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,880 Posts
You could make some speaker grills large enough to cover the hole with 1 inch overlap all around and attach with the ball and socket grill guides (Parts express # 260-367 or 260-368). This will cover all your drywall edges.

Or make the grills smaller than the holes and put some framing behind the wall that would hold the grills flush with the wall. You will still need to dress up the drywall edges and I'm thinking about some J channel edge treatment that they use on edges of drywall that don't meet any other wall. Or the thinest trim you can find.

Making grill covers is easy. Basically make a frame and stretch fabric over. Staple and/or glue the speaker fabric on the back. For a quick solution buy a cheap wood frame at Walmart. throw the glass away. cover with fabric. drill holes and insert the socket grill guides.

Something to consider, You don't want a lot of sound resonating around in the under stair area. The simplest fix would be to completely cover the portion of the speakers in the under stair area with some layers of insulation.

A more elegant solution would be to construct MDF pockets that the speakers sit in and to line the pockets with Egg-crate foam or pack with insulation. You could make the pockets large enough to accommodate future speaker purchases.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.