AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just purchased the toshiba 42HL167 and am looking for a upconverting DVD player (preferably one that upconverts to 1080p). Additionally, I would like a region free ( or one that can be reliably hacked into one). Also I have the Onkyo HTS780 for my HTS.

From what I have understood from the 42hl167 thread, I need connect the dvd player via hdmi to the LCDTV to get 1080p. Additionally, the HTS does not have HDMI connections.

Hence, I am looking for a dvd player that provides both HDMI and S-Video/TOSLink connections and around or less than USD100.

Thanks in advance.

Rhainda

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Philips 5982 for $63 at BB website (free shipping if choose local pickup). It has 1080p HDMI, DivX, USB for flash drive, region free with remote hack, newer firmware upgrade already available, black, thin, video controls (brightness, contrast, color saturation, and something else that I forgot), audio delay (cool feature to help lip sync. issue on some movies), and pillarboxing 4:3 and nonanamorphic content.

It does not have optical SPDIF, only coaxial SPDIF (cheaper cabling anyways). HDMI cable is NOT included so checkout www.monoprice.com

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the Sammy 1080p7 i paid 89.00 for it. Its decent for what it costs, i have heard some complaints about menu speed but not been bothered it. PQ is decent keeping in mind its no OPPO. I think PQ will be really close with all the sub $100 players. The Phillips sounds like a nice player for less money. I have also seen a Panasonic for $89.00. The Panasonic is easy to find in black or silver if you prefer silver its a good option for you. I personally hate panasonic remotes so thats why i chose the sammy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huey,

I am strongly considering the Philips player since I have received good recomendations? Is the following a viable setup

DVD-> TV -> HTS

I would connect the DVD Player via HDMI to the TV and connect the HTS directly to the TV via the s-video/optical out.?

Thanks,

Rhainda

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.