AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

A friend of mine is looking to buy a sub $200 LCD that will accept both coax and component cables. She doesn't need the top of the line, but I've absolutely no clue which low priced LCD's are good/bad/indifferent.

If anyone has any suggestions at all, it'd be great!

Thank you,

-JR

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
At that price I would go for size. No point in a great 17" if you sit 10' from it.

How far will she sit from it? If she is sitting 8' she needs to spend more money. The largest she could get is a 22" if she is lucky. I would find the correct screen size for her viewing distance and spend accordingly.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/18272351

At that price I would go for size. No point in a great 17" if you sit 10' from it.

How far will she sit from it? If she is sitting 8' she needs to spend more money. The largest she could get is a 22" if she is lucky. I would find the correct screen size for her viewing distance and spend accordingly.

Thanks for the response!

She'll be very close, she lives in a very small (cozy!) one bedroom. Her sitting distance is around 5' from the unit.

I'm thinking a 19" would be fine, her big ask is to have it under $200 and to make sure she can connect coax and component (cable and her dvd player).

-JR

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope this is going to be in a bedroom ,not the living room TV, do you have any idea how small a 19" widescreen is? All tv's will have the audio video connections, I would recommend you buy used off of Craigs List and get her a larger TV, nobody will be happy with a teeny tiny TV, even someone who seldom watches anything.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandmcd /forum/post/18276785

I hope this is going to be in a bedroom ,not the living room TV, do you have any idea how small a 19" widescreen is? All tv's will have the audio video connections, I would recommend you buy used off of Craigs List and get her a larger TV, nobody will be happy with a teeny tiny TV, even someone who seldom watches anything.

It's for her front room, and she knows how small it is. Right now she has a 19" CRT that she got for free, and even though that's bigger than a 16:9 19", she's used to viewing things on a small TV.

This is a 330 square foot 1 bedroom, so you can get a sense of how tight things are, and how small her space is.

I was avoiding craigslist only so she could buy a good, new, worry free television for her viewing. I did a search and found some bigger tv's there, but I don't want her to spend $200 only to have the tv she picks up crap the bed 6 months later and be out of warranty.

Having an LCD is important only because of the size of her front room. Otherwise she'd keep the CRT (she can't anyway, since it only has a coax input).

Thanks!

-JR

·
Registered
277 Posts
That is quite a small and cozy apartment! I guess things are really bigger here in Texas. Anyway, a 19" 16:9 is really closer to a 16"-17" 4:3 square TV. I just looked on Best Buy website, and they have a lot of 19" for less than $200. Also a Dynex 22" on sale for $199 right now. Not really a name brand tv, but it should still be okay. At this price, I would just go with the larger size.

Here is an interactive screen size calculator.
http://www.cnet.com/1990-7874_1-5108580-4.html

Dynex 22" $199
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26...&skuId=9135394

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
What is she on welfare - it seems a paper boy could afford more than a $200 TV - Well don't expect much of anything for $200 - LCD Monitor YES but LCD HDTV with a Tuner will be a rebadged turd comparatively unless she buys a used quality panel via Craigslist from someone upgrading and reselling their old one.

·
Registered
431 Posts
There was a refurbished Philips 19" (model ending xxx3504D I think...) that was $135 shipped. It has good inputs and when I've seen these in Target, they looked pretty good off axis, and seemed bright. The refurbs only have a 90 day warranty though... I almost bought one, but I'd rather have a 1080 panel for monitor use.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Sheeeze ppl, stop judging how other people live. The question was very simple, TV under $200. Stop going into the tangent. Am sure she's well aware of the shortcomings. Not everybody is as gadget-crazed as most of us here.

·
Registered
129 Posts
At that size and price range, I would look at what people say about the audio qualities as well as I'm guessing there will be no other sound reinforcement involved (but a small Zvox would be a great gift for her). some TVs in that price range such as the Vizio VA19LHDTV10T and the LG 19LH20 have been reported to have good sound for their size, but reviewers who mention sound on most of these small, inexpensive sets seem to talk about how bad/hollow sounding most of them are.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/18285631

Sheeeze ppl, stop judging how other people live. The question was very simple, TV under $200. Stop going into the tangent. Am sure she's well aware of the shortcomings. Not everybody is as gadget-crazed as most of us here.

westa6969 has proven over and over again to be a rude snob. Don't believe me? peruse his old posts when talking about nearly anything he doesn't consider "1st tier".

If you are looking at anything other than Sony or Samsung, pay no attention whatsoever to his opinion because it is worthless.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Dell Small Business has the ViewSonic VT2645 HDT LCD HDTV & Monitor Hybrid for a low $249.99 Free Shipping after Coupon Code: NWDJ3MLQJSC5L7 (3/13). Tax in most.

1366x768 @ 720p; HDMI; HD Tuner
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...00200414A0A1A0

Seems like a pretty good deal. Only $50 over her budget.

Mike

Edit: I guess it will only display 720P but it will accept a 1080P signal. Still a great deal.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many, many thanks to all of you for the responses!

I've shared your suggestions with her and I have a feeling she'll go with the Dynex (thank you Dathon). It looks like they're in stock close to her house, and I can run over and help her connect everything.

Thanks again,

-JR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts