AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built a new house and have slowly been putting together my sound system/home theater for my 24'x26' great room. I currently have 2 book shelve speakers, 4 ceiling speakers and 2 in wall speakers (in the back of the room). I will be primary using the center speaker when watching movies, but will occasionally use it to listen to music. This will be my 1st attempt to set up a home theater system. My 2 book shelve speakers are Definitive Technology D11s. I originally was going to go with a Definitive Technology CS 9060 for my center speaker, but I don't have the space for it. I have my TV mounted about the mantel (I know its not the ideal place) and I have the center channel speaker wire ran just above the mantel. I want to find a speaker that I can sit on the mantel. The issue I have is the mantel is only 8" deep and the CS 9060 is 12" deep. I have plenty of room as far as width and height goes
. I'd like to stay under $800.

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
Here ya go, 8.25" deep and no rear ports to worry about:

For your $800 budget you could buy 3 of them for an identical front stage (put the other 2 in the shelves on the sides of your TV) and use your D11s for surrounds.

I recently built a new house and have slowly been putting together my sound system/home theater for my 24'x26' great room. I currently have 2 book shelve speakers, 4 ceiling speakers and 2 in wall speakers (in the back of the room). I will be primary using the center speaker when watching movies, but will occasionally use it to listen to music. This will be my 1st attempt to set up a home theater system. My 2 book shelve speakers are Definitive Technology D11s. I originally was going to go with a Definitive Technology CS 9060 for my center speaker, but I don't have the space for it. I have my TV mounted about the mantel (I know its not the ideal place) and I have the center channel speaker wire ran just above the mantel. I want to find a speaker that I can sit on the mantel. The issue I have is the mantel is only 8" deep and the CS 9060 is 12" deep. I have plenty of room as far as width and height goes. I'd like to stay under $800.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Heya,

I will echo the idea of extending the mantle. It's so much easier to put a mantle on there that will have more depth than it is to compromise and find a tiny speaker to sit there and be aimed at the listening position. So instead of all that, make it matter and work for you, extend the mantle with something deeper and then get any center you want and raise it's back to aim at your listening position with the tweeters.

Very best,

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
That screen is sitting too uncomfortably high, first thing that should be taken care of.

Reactions: getcarld

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here ya go, 8.25" deep and no rear ports to worry about:

For your $800 budget you could buy 3 of them for an identical front stage (put the other 2 in the shelves on the sides of your TV) and use your D11s for surrounds.
If I put three speakers in the front what would I need as a receiver? With my current set up I have a front center, front left, front right, rear left, rear right, right sub, left sub, and 4 overhead (ceiling) speakers. I was planning on the Denon AVR-X4700H 9.2. I'm new to the home audio game so any and all advise is must appreciated.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
You can save money by getting the Denon X3700, as the only difference is a slightly better amplifier, and that barely makes a difference in actual sound.

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
If I put three speakers in the front what would I need as a receiver? With my current set up I have a front center, front left, front right, rear left, rear right, right sub, left sub, and 4 overhead (ceiling) speakers. I was planning on the Denon AVR-X4700H 9.2. I'm new to the home audio game so any and all advise is must appreciated.
I would just get the X2700 unless you really need all the extra channels on the receiver.

Receivers make diddly difference compared to speakers and subwoofers, so be careful to avoid the classic beginner's mistake of overspending on electronics.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I would just get the X2700 unless you really need all the extra channels on the receiver.

Receivers make diddly difference compared to speakers and subwoofers, so be careful to avoid the classic beginner's mistake of overspending on electronics.
He has a 5.2.4 setup, requiring a 9-channel AVR...

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
congrats on the new house. I don't know your DIY skills, but consider a new mantle, however, put an in-cabinet center speaker integrated into the mantel. you can find examples at axiomaudio.com ( theirs are not cheap at the moment) .

Totem Tribe might be an off-the-shelf solution

GoldenEar supersat 50 or 60 could work as well.

and the Infinity RC252 would fit as well, and for 99 on sale it is worth the try.

good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts