AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for suggestions on a receiver I currently have a yamaha v863 amp and an emotiva xpa 3 amp for the front 3 but I was wondering if I could improve the sound by getting a new receiver any suggestions is denon better sound than yamaha or onkyo harmon kardon any suggestions or personal experience would be great

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper334
I was wondering if I could improve the sound by getting a new receiver
No.

·
Registered
28,558 Posts
you'll get better sound by getting better speakers! You've already got enough power with the Emotiva amp.

What speakers do you have by the way?

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper334
looking for suggestions on a receiver I currently have a yamaha v863 amp and an emotiva xpa 3 amp for the front 3 but I was wondering if I could improve the sound by getting a new receiver any suggestions is denon better sound than yamaha or onkyo harmon kardon any suggestions or personal experience would be great
Depends on which receiver you choose. Anthem's MRX line comes with Anthem Room Correction which can definitely make a difference. Check out the MRX thread for user feedback, don't just take my word for it.

Remember, a room imposes the biggest affect on the sound so if you can tame some of the room anomalies, you'll improve your sound likely more than a speaker upgrade.

John

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray /forum/post/20815540

Anthem's MRX line comes with Anthem Room Correction which can definitely make a difference.

The 863 has perfectly acceptable YPAO correction - there is no particular discernable benefit to changing to yet another box that does the same thing.

afrogt is quite correct. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, get better speakers. More efficient speakers in particular. It is much cheaper to buy speakers with 3dB more sensitivity than it is to double your amplifier power and the end result is the same.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper334 /forum/post/20810649

Well, I'll be flamed here, but my recent experience says there may be a difference with a newer receiver. I recently went from my Yamaha RX-V1800, which I have been using for several years, to an Onkyo 809. Now, the 1800 is no slouch of a receiver, weighing in at 37 pounds and being one of the first receivers to be able to decode the new audio formats of DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. Both receivers have been connected and set up the same. I calibrated the speakers to 75db with a Radio Shack sound level meter. I run a 5.1 system. I never ran the room correction with either, but rather just set the Yamaha on "Straight" and I set the Onkyo on Direct or Pure Audio. The front three channels are powered by a Sherbourn A1500 amplifier and I let the receiver power the surrounds.

One thing I always was a bit disappointed with about the Yamaha on movies was that it just did not seem to have that impressive dynamics, clarity, or directionality of channels on these new formats.

I have no explanation, but it was immediately apparent that the Onkyo was clearer, more dynamic, and has better separation and more directionality of the channels when watching movies. It just seems to have more extended frequency response, and seems to take better control of the speakers. The high end is a bit greater, but without any bothersome sibilance that I can detect.

Well, I do have one possible explanation, and it is what I was hoping would be the case. The 1800 does not have the most modern DACs, nor does it have the same good DACs for all channels. I believe the Onkyo has significantly newer and better DACs for all channels. Or, perhaps the pre-amp section of the Onkyo is a bit better

It might be interesting for you to pick up one of the current crop of receivers and do your own experiment, as long as you are able to return it if there is no improvement.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot /forum/post/20816061

it was immediately apparent that the Onkyo was clearer, more dynamic, and has better separation and more directionality of the channels when watching movies. It just seems to have more extended frequency response, and seems to take better control of the speakers. The high end is a bit greater, but without any bothersome sibilance that I can detect.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Well, better DAC's are "possible"...yet still doubtful.

And what speakers are these? One "plus" of moving to an Onkyo over the Yamaha is to get multiple crossovers, instead of a blanket one...but that, again, depends on what speakers you got(are you sensing a theme yet???).

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
OP, I told you I'd be flamed! Well, my front L/R are Legacy II towers, which go down to about 22hz, depending on the room, so I set them for full range on both the Yamaha and the Onkyo.

And, regarding DACs, why could they not make a difference? Why do manufacturers keep upgrading to newer and more sophisticated ones? Yamaha is currently using newer and better ones than in the 1800.

I used the Yamaha for years, in the same room with the same speakers, so I think I have a pretty good handle on a baseline for the sound. I am a very skeptical person, and this is not a matter of my wanting to hear a difference and then fabricating it in my mind.

And OP, it is not just with Blu-ray movies that there seems to be a difference. My SACDs just seem to sound more natural and musical than with the Yamaha, especially in the mid range. Changes in the sound levels of instruments like massed strings also seem to be more apparent with the Onkyo. What do they call that, microdynamics?

Since, for most of us, a top goal of all this is to derive enjoyment and some aural pleasure, which may be different for different individuals, it is not wise to simply dismiss out of hand any possible differences in sound between receivers. I would not recommend breaking the bank over it, but if you have the means and time to experiment a bit, I don't see the harm.

All that said, I agree that, by far, the speakers will make the most difference in your sound.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/20815851

The 863 has perfectly acceptable YPAO correction - there is no particular discernable benefit to changing to yet another box that does the same thing.

afrogt is quite correct. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, get better speakers. More efficient speakers in particular. It is much cheaper to buy speakers with 3dB more sensitivity than it is to double your amplifier power and the end result is the same.

It wasn't power I thought he needed but a better correction system and then keep his speakers. All room corrections systems are not equal. I've owned Denons and they cannot compete with the MRX I presently own. I don't want to get into an argument here, just give him another option other than the usual suspects.

John

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper334 /forum/post/20810649

With your current setup I would say no. With a new Integra or Anthem receiver, I would say it will help you in one way. But money well spent on new speakers would probably do you more justice and then you might hear and feel a difference.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az /forum/post/20817592

With your current setup I would say no. With a new Integra or Anthem receiver, I would say it will help you in one way. But money well spent on new speakers would probably do you more justice and then you might hear and feel a difference.

Jeff

Which speakers does he have?

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts