AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm looking to put together a 2.1 system for $400-$600 and need some help on what bookshelf speakers, amp/receiver, and subwoofer would work best. I don't have any room measurements, but I would consider it a small room. I will be using this for games, movies, and music on PC/PS3.  

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

I agree. Those are good choices. Also look into the Cambridge Audio S30s that are on closeout at accessories4less.com . Another excellent speaker choice.

Reactions: rasy

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1498834/looking-for-suggestions-on-building-2-1-system#post_23932408

Your right about the Cambridge - I put my second choice up there first.

The Cambridge would be my first preference

Both good choices so far.

Also, if he is watching his money, the P163 could be an option, especially if he is near a Fry's.

And if he is willing to wait a while and spend a little more money,an NXG sub could be a consideration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I've been reading up on the S30 and so far it looks like a solid pair of speakers. I saw zieglj01's thread complimenting them and saw a lot of positive feedback. I will be sitting nearfield and they will probably end up on a desk. I read it would be optimal to place them on stands, but i don't think I want to shell out extra money for them. I was wondering if they would still perform well under these conditions compared to any other speakers? Also, bladerunner mentioned an NXG sub. Would model would you recommend?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
You know what I use instead of stands? Books. As long as you have some the right size, very stable. And about the cheapest thing you can do if you already have the books

Probably meant the NXG NX-BAS-500 subwoofer. But I believe that they are currently sold out everywhere. If this is for mainly desktop use, Outlaw Audio often likes to put the M8 on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Great little 8" sub if you'll be sitting right next to it.

Otherwise, the JBL SUB150P from Newegg that Z mentioned is worth considering.

Reactions: rasy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

How does the M8 compare to the NXG/JBL? I will probably get the speakers/receiver first and wait a bit for the subwoofer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts