AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for suggestions on what you would consider buying for yourself if you were looking for a projection tv system for your home and wanted to spend around one thousand dollars. I am new at this and value your ideas. Some of the items I have looked at are: Gateway 205, Infocus X1, and some others. It appears there are alot of X1 owners on this site. Is that a recommendation? Thanks for your help! Ray

· Registered
115 Posts
I would recommend the X1, if you are not sensitive to DLP rainbows. It projects a great picture for the money. There are also the Epson S1 and the Panasonic L200u which are LCD projectors at around $1K. The Sanyo PLV-Z1 is another popular LCD, at around $1200. Check out the reviews on http://www.projectorcentral.com.

· Registered
59 Posts
I concur about the X1. If you're not sensitive to rainbows, DLP is the way to go.

I'm sensitive to flourescent lights and chose the NEC VT46. Good brightness, great color, terrible contrast/no black. I'm happy with it, but I'll upgrade as soon as I can afford something LCD with higher contrast ratios and XGA resolution.

PS - You're on the right track. I spent only $1200 and have an excellent 84" TV for the price.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help. I am brand new to this type of large screen tv. I have had rear projection units for over 15 years and want this as a basement unit. I have never seen any of these in action so I am not sure if I am one of those that see the rainbow effect. I guess I will have to buy one to see if it bothers me or not. I don't know where I can see one in use locally before I buy one, thanks again !

· Registered
59 Posts
Many of the big electronic stores have one or two projectors you can see. If you live in a big city you may also have stores that sell projectors for presentation purposes. Also, the high-end custom home electronics stores often have a projector or two setup and running all day. You'll probably need to visit a bunch of stores to see a good sampling of units. Most of the big stores don't know crap about selling projectors, so the images often look terrible in the store.

· Registered
1,246 Posts
Well I picked up my X1 last night at BB and I'm VERY pleased. I was extremely worried about the "Rainbow Effect", I'm a programmer and if my monitor is not syncing at 70 or above I get headaches, but I'm not bothered. I do se an occasional rainbow but don't find them to be distracting or a problem. I did the THX optimization tests on one of my DVD's, and during the aspect ratio test, yea, I saw rainbows like crazy, but during a film hardly at all. The image is amazing, watching credits the text is sharper then it was on my 27" tube, and I was projecting an image that was 7' across, 105' diag 4:3, or 96' diag 16:9, I'm so glad I finally pulled the trigger. I did find the ultimate "Rainbow" test DVD, The Nightmare Before Christmas, I did see Rainbows fairly frequently during that movie, but again, they were not especially bothersome. I also noticed that I saw more Rainbows as it got later into the night, and me and my eyes more tired.

Anyway, good luck in your search, you'll probably be happy with no matter what you end up with.

Barry, one very happy X1 owner.

· Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ptdude
I don't know where I can see one in use locally before I buy one, thanks again !
At http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/#1.4 there is a link to a form where you can request a 10-day free demo of an X1.

If you are looking for something to watch TV (in addition to DVDs etc) then the X1 is a pretty good choice because of the DCDi deinterlacing, which is superior to what you find in most other projectors.

· Registered
575 Posts
Rainbows are overrated. I had 6 people over yesterday and no one saw one. I saw them like crazy when I first used the x1, but now, only 2 weeks later I don't see them at all.

Don't let the over hype of rainbows scare you away from the x1. It is the Best Buy in the $1k pj's. Plus buy now and get a 3 year extended warranty from infocus free!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.