AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of trying to see whether fixing my JVC 723GD would be a good idea or should I just get a new player. I bought a new JVC S500(?) player last night because I am sick of the freezing I get from the 723 20 min. into the movie. I set it up and notice that first thing is that the display is way too bright. I have not found a dimmer switch, but in my place it glows everything around it and the color is not too pleasing. Anyway, I have noticed that sound tracks and cd's don't quite have the same detail as the 723 does. I cannot explain it but it just "seems" a bit more congested and and missing fine details I have gotten used to with the 723. I thought that with digital out (coax or toslink) that the sound should be the same since it's just a digital feed correct? I put the 723 back on and I used same level matching going back and forth and it is different. That bugs me, so has anyone experience sound differences amongst similarly priced dvd players? I am wainting for the RP62 but in the mean time I'd like the best out there for about the same price. RP56 maybe or should I look for the older JVC players (65,70,75 ect.)? Does anyone have this player? Review? thanks

·
Registered
611 Posts
You'll have a hard time getting people to comment on the sonic attributes of a player as most use a processor that contains the DACs. If you are using a processor, the sound from toslink will differ from the coax. I have found that the toslink is muddier and laid-back whereas the coax is clearer but more forward (maybe even brighter, but that word has such a bad connotation I hate to use it). Bear in mind, the following were found on my Pioneer DV414 DVD player into my Denon AVD-2000 processor with CinemaQuest VSB-1 cable for coax and extremely inexpensive long fiber-optic cable, so YMMV.

·
Registered
568 Posts
What I don't understand about the debate of Toslink VS. Coax.. was I thought that signal being sent to the reciever was digital... a.k.a. 1's and 0's.. So unless there is some dataloss (in which there should be error-correcting other-wise the signal would break) with toslink or coax, then shouldn't they sound identical? A 1 sent via toslink is going to sound the same as a 1 sent through coax... unless the reciever handles the data differently..

or unless it's analog.. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
148 Posts
stovetop: here is a huge discussion about this over at dvdfile.com. (most people agree with you).

·
Registered
611 Posts
People have gone round-and-round about whether or not cables make a difference. All I'm saying is that in my system I heard a definite difference. Not a huge difference, mind you, but a difference none-the-less. I began this hobby as an audiophile and I use audiophile speakers. The sonic advantage given by coax over cheap toslink in my system, though slight, is significant enough that I will not use my cheap toslink to listen to music any longer. Now, it's very possible that the cheap toslink cable is the culprit and there would be no difference if I used a higher quality toslink. All I'm saying is that I heard a difference. However, as I stated in my previous post, YMMV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
avdoc, that may be what I'm "hearing". The fact that DVD players do suffer from jitter and that maybe higher price ones suffer less from this. I could not figure out why there was an audible difference but there is especially with 2-channel music even if my preamp's DAC's are being used. Yes, you'd think 1's and 0's are feeding the same through the cable but it's being altered by something along the way to make a sound difference. That's why I think most use a decent cd player for cd's instead of a dual function DVD player unless you are lucky to own a Meridian 596, Theta DaViD, Sony 9000ES.....

what's a good priced dejitter box go for these days? Where?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well, I definately don't want to start a debate, and I'll be the first to tell you I'm not an audiophile.. but from a techinical aspect, they should sound the same.

On that forum, one person makes analogy that a 50$ cd player and a 500$ will not sound the same.. which totally off base (although they do sound differently, the analogy doesn't apply). A correct analogy would say that a Retail CD and a 1:1 copy of that retail cd on a .25 cent CDR will sound exactly the same on each individual CD Player.

Also someone stated this.

"Many things come into play. First is the quality of the support (CD, DVD, whatever). These expensive audiophile CD are not made of gold just for the cool factor. Gold is more durable, first. It also reflects light better, therefore the laser beam is more certain if it read a hole or a bump."

This is also false. If a digital signal is ever broken, the actual decoding will break. Sure, it may reflect light 'better' but when data transfer is at 100%, why would you care about it reflecting better? With digital.. it either works, or it doesn't. It's either on or off. A 1 or a 0. That's why when you played a scratched CD, you don't get static or noise, you just get skips. And a scratched Gold CD is just as bad as any other scratched CD.

The ONLY way they (the cables) could sound differently is if a Optical Signal is sent to a different DPS then the Coaxial. That's about it. The problem with people is that they still have analog minds I think ^_^.

Just think of it this way.. You download a Zip file, it became CORRUPT during the transfer/download (it wasn't 1:1), what happens? Does the zip file contain incorrect Data now? Yes, but, the Zip file will not open now either. If an optical cable sent data incorrectly, it wouldn't play it at all. The same with coaxial.

Phew! Well, sorry for the long post, but this was my grand entrance into this hugely over-debated subject!! ^_^ In the end, just use whatever makes you happy.

·
Registered
554 Posts
posted by 1starmovet:

what's a good priced dejitter box go for these days? Where?

------------------------------------

i use the monarchy audio 96/24 DIP. it goes for $250. in my system, i use it with my satellite box (DISH6000) which is toslink only. i use a short good quality toslink into the dejitter box, then a coax out of the box into my processor. absolutely makes a positive comtribution to sound quality.

www.monarchyaudio.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.