AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've been doing some research on receivers. It looks like there are some new ones coming to market and I'm trying figure out the best bang for the buck.

Models considering

Denon AVR-e300 $200 - Amazon prime

Pros

Has an app for remote control though Iphone or Android.

Price is 50$ less than yamaha

Airplay

Internet ready

Cons

No 4k

Don't know what else.

Yamaha RX-V377 $250 - Amazon Prime

Pros

Yamaha highlights - 4k passthrough (i'm sure we will all get 4k sometime in the future) I will probably actually use this with my computer hooked up to the tv when I get a 4k TV. Allows for audio to go back to receiver if streaming netflix from a smart TV.

Cons

Lowest RMS wattage of the listed 3

Sony STR-DH740 $270 - Amazon Prime

Pros

High RMS wattage @ 90 according to crutchfield

Internet connected meaning it can stream internet radio that is supported

7.1 system

Cons

Don't know, no one really talks about sony in receivers.

No 4k

Use case

Planning a 5.1 system with Monoprice in-ceiling parts Looking at using 4013's (6.5) for LR Fronts and rears OR 4104 LR fronts (8") and 4929 for rears (15" directional 8")

Center will be 6317 or something similar. 10801 for the sub. The room is an open concept with the kitchen and dining room merged with the family room. Total space is about 500-700 sq feet we plan to use the system mainly for television / movies. I will use my sonos play 5 outside as I don't think that using 2 ceiling speakers outside would out play the Sonos so I don't see a point to wire it up outthere.

Considerations

Since there really isn't any wall to put in-wall speakers as I'm mounting my TV to brick above a fireplace I am opting for in-ceiling, with a center on the mantel.

I would love to do a sonos play bar but I fear that it wont sound nearly as good as a real 5.1 system and the sonos play bar is tons of money, with limited flexibility as adding play 1's would add another 400$ to the 700$ unit not to mention a powered sub.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated along with any feedback.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, what i'm worried about is will the models I've listed have enough power to power the system I'm looking to build?

Realistically, I'd like to have 4k pass through, and iphone app support since I can stream everything else though my HTPC that I will have attached and I can control that though other apps.

The yamaha has the spot light right now, but I'm trying really find the sweet spot. I don't mind spending up to 500$ if it really means a great improvement. I don't want to spend 250$ in vain for a measly 5 watts of power more per channel and a few other useless features like front surround.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why is 4k moot? I was planning on doing some gaming with my PC on there which has a 780GTX? Wouldn't that matter?

Or would I just hook up directly to the TV?

Thanks for the input, funny, because I've had several contractors come and they all say I need like 6k worth of equipment, I'm so glad I actually did some research.

So for sound quality, of the three and I'll toss in another a an AVR 1610 for HK... I know it's a little apples to oranges since it's a while 100$ more than the yamaha.

The other yamaha I saw on amazon was the HTR-4065 refub for the same price as the rx-v377

·
Premium Member
91,770 Posts
It's moot if you are sitting more than 6' or so away from the display with an 80" or smaller display as sitting at the average distance of 10'-12' from the display, you're not likely to see any difference from 1080p, rather simply spending more for 4k technology. Also, as you point out, you can generally connect the source video to the display with audio to the AVR if necessary.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the heads up.

I guess then is there anything which makes one brand better than another? I know Yamaha, HK, and denon are all quality brands.

I see some people beat up sony, are they really unreliable or is it internet hog wash?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright i've flipped the bird, and I'm now leaning towards the E400 or the RX-V575 because the they have 2 zone support and both can be controlled via IOS app which is important for me.

Any reason the E400 is 500$ and the 575 is $350 on amazon. They look like they are each others competition but the price points are wack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts