AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching high and low for a keyboard/mouse, that would not be an eyesore in my home theater, my search has finaly ended. I have tried many different keyboards from CrapUSA and have been unhappy with all of them for various reasons:

a) The range of the wireless signal is to weak, the keyboard becomes flaky and unresponsive when sitting 12'-15' away from the PS3

b) Using a wireless mouse while sitting on a sofa is retarted, especially if you only need it to navigate webpages. No FPS's with mouse support yet on the PS3.

c) They are all too big and ugly. I don't plan on doing and data entry from my sofa so there is no need for a number pad.

The wireless keyboard/mouse combination that I have settled on is Vidabox's HTPC Wireless Keyboard with Integrated Trackball . This is IMHO the finest HTPC keyboard out there. It compliments the sleek look and design of the PS3 and is very comfortable to use. They keyboard keys are laptop style. They have a nice click to then and are very responsive. The trackball is easy to use, although it feels a little "grainy" when moving around the screen. Having the little cutouts on the side of the keyboard make it very comfortable to hold when using the trackball (A+ for ergonomics). Also the keyboard comes with it's own dust bag so that it'll stay nice and clean when you are not using it. It connects via a USB adapter. No bluetooth... no big deal though the PS3 doesn't support Bluetooth keyboards now anyways. I can confirm that the keyboard and trackball work on the PS3. The mouse only works when in the webbrowser though. Also it works perfectly under FC5 and YDL linux distributions too. The "Hot Buttons" don't do anything right now hopefully Sony's new firmware/webbrowser will allow programming or remapping of some of these keys. If Sony was smart they would use these as the model for an official "Sony PS3 Keyboard", and integrate it with Bluetooth and map the hotkeys to the sixaxis buttons.

As far as the price goes it's $89.99. Probably about $100 including shipping to wherever you live. Yea it's a little pricy but you already dropped 6 bills for the PS3 why skimp now. Remember... You get what you pay for!

9.5 out of 10

-.5 for the "grainyness" of the mouse. Perhaps it will smooth out after more use.

Attaching an image so you can see the nice compact size of the keyboard compared to the BD Remote and Sixaxis.

·
Registered
138 Posts
nice review! any chance it works with the "start" button for downloading in the playstation store?

wish i saw this a few days ago, i've been looking for a good wireless kbd with integrated mouse and settled on one from newegg for $42. Not sure how good it will be yet (arrives Thurs).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well....that's a pretty good looking keyboard. Can't beat the price either. For the true hi-end, there is the diNovo edge. Beautiful keyboard, gloss black, glowing, integrated trackpad, etc. It's a beautiful keyboard that works perfectly with the PS3 (and it's Bluetooth to boot) and comes with a charging cradle :) . But for someone looking for a cheaper version, but is still nice, this looks to be it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidgenius /forum/post/0

Well....that's a pretty good looking keyboard. Can't beat the price either. For the true hi-end, there is the diNovo edge. Beautiful keyboard, gloss black, glowing, integrated trackpad, etc. It's a beautiful keyboard that works perfectly with the PS3 (and it's Bluetooth to boot) and comes with a charging cradle :) . But for someone looking for a cheaper version, but is still nice, this looks to be it.

I actually tried the Dinovo Edge. It works well, has a good range thanks to bluetooth via usb adapter. My only gripe about it would be the size. It is a little more than 16" wide and 8 inches deep. That is only 1" shorter than most desktop keyboards. The Vidabox board is less than 13" wide and about 5" deep. It's nice and compact, but not so small that you will lose it in your cushions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.