AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently return my Samsung BD-UP5000 combo player, since it appears samsung really is not supporting it's customers, and I'm looking to get a Blu Ray player that has HD Audio decoding for DTS Master HD, PCM, Dolby True HD, etc. I have a Onkyo TX-SR605, which is capable of decoding the new HD audio formats, but I would like some reccomendations on what a great plaer out there is. I have heard the the Pioneer Elite Players are good, but near $1000, and Panasonic are good too. Obviously, video quality is important too. Can someone please just recommend a great all around player that actually owns one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't mean "perfect" perfect. I know all of the players have some issues, some minor, some major. I just want to know what is the best all around player, with the least amount of issues, and has great customer care.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hopefully the new Panny DMP-BD50 will fit the bill, if it has a respectable price. Otherwise, we may have to wait for the PS4
. Glad people are returning their sammys, maybe sammy will get the hint.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by progolf86 /forum/post/12925517

I don't mean "perfect" perfect. I know all of the players have some issues, some minor, some major. I just want to know what is the best all around player, with the least amount of issues, and has great customer care.

Then check out the PS3... Affordable, speedy loading, upgradable to 2.0 profile, etc.

Advnaced master audio decoding on the way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/12925611

Then check out the PS3... Affordable, speedy loading, upgradable to 2.0 profile, etc.

Advnaced master audio decoding on the way.

Has Sony announced that there will definately be Master HD Audio coming, or is this just speculation?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by progolf86 /forum/post/12925645

Has Sony announced that there will definately be Master HD Audio coming, or is this just speculation?

According to the DTS rep at CES it is already in development and expected to be out this quarter. There is not reason it wouldn't, just a simple software upgrade....

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
You know, I think LPCM and DDtruHD sound like brighter DTS tracks.

Definitely a good quality advantage, but the added perks may just be a wider dynamic range.

Question.

PCM is supposedly the studio master, are DDtruHD and DTS HDmaster the master tracks for Dolby and DTS's version of the Soundtrack or just the compressed PCM track?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by progolf86 /forum/post/12925393

I'm looking to get a Blu Ray player that has HD Audio decoding for DTS Master HD, PCM, Dolby True HD, etc.

I have a Onkyo TX-SR605,
which is capable of decoding the new HD audio formats, but I would like some reccomendations on what a great plaer out there is.

Since your Onkyo605 decodes all the formats you only "need" a player that can bitstream the formats. Of course you can get a player that decodes the formats but it isn't required.

My signature has a comparison of BD players. Right now I would say the best player would for your setup (HDMI v1.3 AVR) would be the DMP-BD30. Just be aware there is an issue with low LFE channel when outputting PCM tracks. Even with the issue IMHO the DMP-BD30 is great buy.

Very fast load times, bitstream of ALL audio formats, good upscaling (but not as good as HD-XA2 or other BD players with Reon), minimal disc issues.

You may want to see if Panny takes good care of their customers with a fix to the bug before buying.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz /forum/post/12925958

PCM is supposedly the studio master, are DDtruHD and DTS HDmaster the master tracks for Dolby and DTS's version of the Soundtrack or just the compressed PCM track?

TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are just compressed version of the LPCM master. Think of them as competing zip formats like WinZip and WinRar. Both can be used to compress a file to make it smaller to store, copy, or download. Think of LPCM as the uncompressed file. Neither is "better" before you use a file compressed by WinZip you "unzip" it. Before your receiver plays a TrueHD track it decodes it back to the original LPCM track.

LPCM = TrueHD = DTS-HD MA.

The only advantage is the last 2 require less space.

·
Registered
570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/12925662

According to the DTS rep at CES it is already in development and expected to be out this quarter. There is not reason it wouldn't, just a simple software upgrade....

I noticed that. I also noticed in the insider thread (which is now closed) that development is completed and Sony is just withholding it for marketing reasons. So 2 insiders are contradicting each other on the details.

I am tire of waiting. As soon as my tax refund comes (hopefully in the next 2 weeks), I am selling the PS3 and replacing it with something that can bit-stream.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burke /forum/post/12926331

I noticed that. I also noticed in the insider thread (which is now closed) that development is completed and Sony is just withholding it for marketing reasons. So 2 insiders are contradicting each other on the details.

I am tire of waiting. As soon as my tax refund comes (hopefully in the next 2 weeks), I am selling the PS3 and replacing it with something that can bit-stream.

If it were me, I would hold off selling. I doubt you are going to notice a significant difference in sound. Also, the hopefully much improved players will be out the second half of the year. Why get an outdated buggy player now?

I would just stick with the well supported and future proof PS3.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Perfect I don't think there is.

Since your receiver can accept bitstream of the new audio codecs, the Panny BD30 fits the bill.

The current issues with it are listed in the Owner's Thread in the first post. If you have the time read through all the thread as well.

The only other is the PS3, but it does not support DTS-HD MA. In my personal experience, it gets very hot and it is noisy. Video wise it is not as good as the BD30 but the image it puts out (and for the price) is excellent.

Take your pick(or poison)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts