Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, fellows.

I am looking for a thick (no lighter than 10 awg.), cheap, and good looking cable for my two Buttkickers.

Since I will be using 30 ft.-long runs, I'll need the cable to be 10 awg. or thicker (according to the recommendation in the BK User Guide).

Regarding the "good looking" thing, two conditions apply:

1) The cable's outer jacket color must be a dark one, such as black, dark blue, dark red, dark green, etc. (and not white, yellow, beige, grey, etc.), and

2) The finish of the outer jacket must be fashionable enough. It doesn't need to be fancy, but crude/rough industrial looks don't need to apply.

Right now, the cheapest cable I've found which fulfill these requirements is Kimber 8PR.

Any other options out there???

Thanks a lot for sharing!

J.V.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since the ButtKickers and hooking-up cables are going to be displayed inside my room, the cables fit and finish must be fine enough as to not disrupt the visual armony of the room. So, for instance, a 10 awg. cable that looks like an industrial cable for, say, an electric wall driller doesn't need to apply.

In other words, by "fashionable" I do want to mean: "not too utilatarian or industrial looking". It doesn't mean fancy at all, just not too industrial looking.

Thanks for your help! :)

J.V.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm thinking this is cheaper than your alternative, so it depends how much fashion is worth to you. How about some 12 ga outdoor low-voltage wiring? It has a nicer sheen than dull industrial cord, will last longer than plain zip cord, is VERY inexpensive, and will sound as good as anything else. Home Depot sells it for $0.20/ft. I am not familiar with Buttkickers, but find the need for 10 ga wiring very unusual.

If you really want to stay with 10 ga, try doubling-up some 14 ga low-voltage wire and put a pretty sheathing over it! Or get a heavy duty extension cord and do the same.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ssabin
I am not familiar with Buttkickers, but find the need for 10 ga wiring very unusual.
I'm not familiar with them either but J.V. stated it was as per the BK guide. So I'd trust that.

Quote:
Originally posted by ssabin
If you really want to stay with 10 ga, try doubling-up some 14 ga low-voltage wire and put a pretty sheathing over it! Or get a heavy duty extension cord and do the same.
I really like the first part of your idea. Doubling it up should be effective. And I was also going to suggest the "sheathing" idea. Seems like you can get cheaper (but still sufficent quality) wires, and pretty it you how you'd like.

For an example of what someone did...
http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/printpost.php?postid=1009526

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, fellows for your ideas and suggestions.

Goodconsumer is right, I am just mentioning the wire gauge recommended in the BK User Guide. Depending upon the length of the cable run, the Guide recommends cable gauges of 16, 12, and 10 awg. For runs 25 ft. and over, the Guide recommends 10 awg. Since my runs will be 30(+)ft., I am assuming that 10 awg. will be needed.

I am giving due consideration to all your recommendations.

Thanks a lot, fellows.

J.V.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Get whatever cable you want and encase them in braided nylon shield & heatshrink. Check out the bottom of this page for details. Markertek also sells the TechFlex cable tubing & parts...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.