AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My taste in music runs along the loud and obnoxious line, like Metallica, Tool and Static X.

I like it LOUD in my mancave.

I have an Emotiva UMC-1 Pre/Pro and a Sunfire amp 5x200 WPC.

My current primary speakers are Polk RTi12's. I have owned Polk a few times in my life and while they're a decent speaker for the price I am having great difficulty in over-driving them, which is to say that I routinely have to replace drivers because I over-drive them.

I have been into rock music and stereo gear since the 70's and it seems to me that speakers produced today are majorly inferior to speakers from back in the day. I had a set of KENWOOD KL-777 speakers that could melt the paint off the walls and never even blink. My Polks fail probably twice a year or more and I'm down until I can get replacement drivers.

I've had Cerwin Vegas in the past and certainly they could take everything I threw at them too but I understand that with them also the newer product line is whimpy.

So I'm wondering is there is a speaker that can take excessive driving without fail, preferrably a tower speaker?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, pretty much waht I thought. It's hard to beat CV for really rocking the house without having to worry about blowing drivers.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
I would look into some active like the QSC K series , it will have more protection against being over-driven, but you wouldn't need to worry about that since your ears would break far sooner then the speakers ever would. I would also take a look at Klipsch products and BIC Acoustech- the PL-89 s have a 98 db sensitivity and wouldn't cost too much over 600 shipped for a pair. I'm sure those can get insanely loud and not break a sweat. The Chase Home Theater speakers look like they could really blaze too, with a 97 db sensitivity. On that note there is also ED's cinema speakers , which should be considered. Any of these will get a lot louder than the Polk speakers, soft-dome tweeters can only get so loud before they self-destruct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts