1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup:
It's a 3.2, and I'm trying to upgrade the main LR speakers

Onkyo TX-RZ 820 receiver

Canton Karat 707 DC Towers as main LR (powered by Marantz MA6100 monoblocks)

KLH Story Center Channel
(powered by bridged parasound Zamp v3)

Dual SVS PB-1000 Subs

LEADING CONTENDERS:

1. Focal Chora 826 (maybe 826-D... but it's out of my price range)

2. KLH Kendall (just for the sake of timbre matching with my center channel... but not set in stone)

3. Bowers & Wilkins 603 S2 (maybe 704 S2... but it's out of my price range)

4. Revel Concerta2 F36

5. Monitor Audio Silver 300

would really appreciate some inputs!!

·
Registered
23,615 Posts
My current setup:

Onkyo TX-RZ 820 receiver

KLH Story Center Channel

Dual SVS PB-1000 Subs

LEADING CONTENDERS:

2. KLH Kendall (just for the sake of timbre matching with my center channel... but not set in stone)

4. Revel Concerta2 F36

What specific attributes on your current Canton 707 do you wish to improve on?

More detail?
More "warmth?"
Better mids?
etc.

Reactions: Darth Machu

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What specific attributes on your current Canton 707 do you wish to improve on?

More detail?
More "warmth?"
Better mids?
etc.
The Canton 707s are divine.. they got damaged during a move, so I'm retiring them.

At some point, I plan on replacing the blown tweeter and woofer... then set them up in a different room for a 2.0 stereo application!!

Honestly, if I could buy a new pair of 707, I would gladly do that.

Unfortunately, new Cantons are hard to come by (especially in US).

So, looking at new towers..

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
My current setup:

Onkyo TX-RZ 820 receiver

KLH Story Center Channel

Dual SVS PB-1000 Subs

LEADING CONTENDERS:

4. Revel Concerta2 F36

Out of that list, either the Revels or Monitor Audios. I'd take a peek at KEF, Emotiva, Chane, and Ascend Acoustics, too.

However, you might do better to focus on the centre channel vs. the L/Rs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out of that list, either the Revels or Monitor Audios. I'd take a peek at KEF, Emotiva, Chane, and Ascend Acoustics, too.

Thanks! Any reason why one should pick Revel or MA over the Focal Chora 826?

For some reason, I'm partial to metallic tweeters (since Chane, Emotiva carry ribbon tweeters, I am not considering them)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I'm pretty happy with the KLH Story Center Channel tbh, it's only a few months old and barely broken in. Dialogues are crystal clear..

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Thanks! Any reason why one should pick Revel or MA over the Focal Chora 826?

For some reason, I'm partial to metallic tweeters (since Chane, Emotiva carry ribbon tweeters, I am not considering them)
Revels are known to be excellent performers, and I've not seen anyone be disappointed in the Silver 300s. Both, I believe, are neutral. I don't think the Focals would be a bad choice, either, I've just seen more feedback on the Revels and MAs vs the Focals.

I would definitely look at the KEFs if you are keen on metal dome tweeters. The Q750s are very good.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Revels are known to be excellent performers, and I've not seen anyone be disappointed in the Silver 300s. Both, I believe, are neutral. I don't think the Focals would be a bad choice, either, I've just seen more feedback on the Revels and MAs vs the Focals.

I would definitely look at the KEFs if you are keen on metal dome tweeters. The Q750s are very good.
I looked into KEF and the Q950 is within my budget. I've never really listened to any KEF speakers. That's the only hesitation on my part.

How do you like the Q750s? The Q950 is just an older sibling of the Q750 from what I understand.

You have distinct setups for Music/HT? that's the dream!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I looked into KEF and the Q950 is within my budget. I've never really listened to any KEF speakers. That's the only hesitation on my part.

How do you like the Q750s? The Q950 is just an older sibling of the Q750 from what I understand.

I love the 750s - the 950s would certainly offer more "oomph" because of the 8" drivers, but with dual subs that's kinda sorta moot.. The imaging and soundstage KEF's Uni-Q design produces is incredible.

If you can manage, order from a place with a good return policy so you could possibly audition the KEFs along with one or two from your short list, and send back the losers.

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love the 750s - the 950s would certainly offer more "oomph" because of the 8" drivers, but with dual subs that's kinda sorta moot.. The imaging and soundstage KEF's Uni-Q design produces is incredible.

If you can manage, order from a place with a good return policy so you could possibly audition the KEFs along with one or two from your short list, and send back the losers.
True.. with dual subs, I wouldn't really need the 8" drivers on the Q950..

·
Registered
23,615 Posts
That's helpful. Cantons are known for excellent dynamics/detail esp. in the upper frequencies.

I would wait for the next JBL sale on the Studio 580 or 590 towers at 50-60% off retail. These have a horn tweeter but they are nothing like the harsh/shouty horns on entry level Klipsch speakers. I hate "bright" speakers and have been quite happy with my 570s. You missed the last JBL sale by about a week, but I'd expect another one by the end of this month or next, they're pretty frequent and the best thing is, JBL gives you free return shipping on everything so there's no risk.

If you don't want to wait or can't live with the aesthetics of the Studio series (seriously, they look much nicer in the wild than on the website---even my fussy wife was pleased which shocked TF out of me, lol) another option also with free return shipping would be the SVS Pinnacle towers.

If free return shipping isn't needed then I'd look at the Ascend Sierra tower with the standard NrT dome tweeter, about $2300/pr shipped. These would be easily "matched" by the excellent Sierra Horizon center IF you believe in the whole "matching" folklore (I'd just keep your current center if you're 100% happy with it).

The Canton 707s are divine.. they got damaged during a move, so I'm retiring them.

At some point, I plan on replacing the blown tweeter and woofer... then set them up in a different room for a 2.0 stereo application!!

Honestly, if I could buy a new pair of 707, I would gladly do that.

Unfortunately, new Cantons are hard to come by (especially in US).

So, looking at new towers..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's helpful. Cantons are known for excellent dynamics/detail esp. in the upper frequencies.

I would wait for the next JBL sale on the Studio 580 or 590 towers at 50-60% off retail. These have a horn tweeter but they are nothing like the harsh/shouty horns on entry level Klipsch speakers. I hate "bright" speakers and have been quite happy with my 570s. You missed the last JBL sale by about a week, but I'd expect another one by the end of this month or next, they're pretty frequent and the best thing is, JBL gives you free return shipping on everything so there's no risk.

If you don't want to wait or can't live with the aesthetics of the Studio series (seriously, they look much nicer in the wild than on the website---even my fussy wife was pleased which shocked TF out of me, lol) another option also with free return shipping would be the SVS Pinnacle towers.

If free return shipping isn't needed then I'd look at the Ascend Sierra tower with the standard NrT dome tweeter, about $2300/pr shipped. These would be easily "matched" by the excellent Sierra Horizon center IF you believe in the whole "matching" folklore (I'd just keep your current center if you're 100% happy with it).
Personally, I like metal dome tweeters (aluminum, aluminium-magnesium, etc.)

or I would have considered something like the Klipsch Heresy haha

I mean I could just buy the KLH Kendalls (timbre match with my KLH Story center channel)

but I really really like the Revel Concerta2 F36 and the Focal Chora 826 ( can't decide between them)

P.S. SVS makes good stuff (my PB-1000 dual subs are AMAZING) so Pinnacles are food for thought for sure

·
Registered
23,615 Posts
P.S. SVS makes good stuff (my PB-1000 dual subs are AMAZING) so Pinnacles are food for thought for sure
I'd always opt to try the easiest return options first, but if you like metal domes the KEF Q series would also be worth a listen ... Crutchfield offers a sweet $75/pr flat rate return shipping policy on towers.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Personally, I like metal dome tweeters (aluminum, aluminium-magnesium, etc.)

or I would have considered something like the Klipsch Heresy haha

I mean I could just buy the KLH Kendalls (timbre match with my KLH Story center channel)

but I really really like the Revel Concerta2 F36 and the Focal Chora 826 ( can't decide between them)

Based on these measurements, I'd avoid the KLH Kendalls, personally:

There's no rule saying you have to match the centre channel and mains. If you get close enough, you likely won't hear any audible difference. Match if you want, though! :)

Try both the Revel and Focals if you can if you're having trouble. Listening to them in your space would be the only sure-fire way to decide.

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
I'd always opt to try the easiest return options first, but if you like metal domes the KEF Q series would also be worth a listen ... Crutchfield offers a sweet $75/pr flat rate return shipping policy on towers.
When I bought mine they said they were considered small towers and were $10 per speaker to return.

·
Registered
9,934 Posts

I'm continually amazed at the sound stage with my 750s. It's especially great with HT. It's like I have front wide and height speakers. An they can play loud without harshness. I think they're really good deal when they're on sale.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm continually amazed at the sound stage with my 750s. It's especially great with HT. It's like I have front wide and height speakers. An they can play loud without harshness. I think they're really good deal when they're on sale.
thanks for chiming in! I'm definitely considering KEF Q750s because I like metal tweeters in general

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Based on these measurements, I'd avoid the KLH Kendalls, personally:

There's no rule saying you have to match the centre channel and mains. If you get close enough, you likely won't hear any audible difference. Match if you want, though! :)

Try both the Revel and Focals if you can if you're having trouble. Listening to them in your space would be the only sure-fire way to decide.
Yea I'm trying to see if I could audition them both!!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
If you are enamored with metal tweeters, perhaps you should look into Paradigm.

Paradigm Premier 800F (Gloss Black) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield

EDIT: I know you said towers, but if metal is your thing, the Beryllium tweeter options should be at the top of your list. Unfortunately, they usually reside in VERY expensive speakers (see the Paradigm version). These are above your budget, and not towers, but might be your entry point into high end sound. They have sufficient bass extension to blend well with subs crossed over at 80, or even lower if the crossover is steep...

Usher Be-718 Bookshelf Speakers with Beryllium Tweeters - HomeTheaterHifi.com

1 - 20 of 36 Posts