AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through alot of the TT threads but cannot seem to narrow down a choice based on my current gear. I am using a Denon AVR3300 receiver and i'm not sure if I should use the receiver or get a dedicated phono preamp then back in to the 3300, would a seperate preamp just work better or is one advisable..not sure how well the 3300 handles phono input.

Not to get into a heated Technics 1200 debate but we can surely bash it if needed.
I personally like the looks of it since I grew up with it all over the AV stores next to all the rack systems.....bit of "nostalgia" I suppose.

Seems the 1200 gets placed low on the list but can this TT be improved with a stylus change or is it the nature of it's design that scores it low..like being direct drive etc. I don't know what it's limitations are so please educate me.

That being said, can you give me a short list of TT's to look for, new or used, that I should consider. I"m setting a budget of

·
Registered
896 Posts
Does your Denon have a dedicated phono input? IIRC most Denons do. If you're not overly picky about the sound quality it should do just fine. A separate phono preamp could improve upon that. IMO a Technics 1200 is fine for non-critical listening. It gets a bad rep from 'audiophiles' because it's mostly used as a DJ table, and from the factory it isn't full of super high quality parts as they expect. Aside from a nicer quality cartridge there are some tweaks you can have done or do yourself to improve the sound; dampen the arm, hardwire in some better interconnects, etc. YMMV. But, as the 1200 has been discontinued good luck in finding one in your price range.

Around $300 you could get a starter model Pro-ject or Music Hall, or possibly a Rega, with a decent Grado cartridge around $100 which comes under your target price.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Seems the 1200 gets placed low on the list

Mostly in ignorant circles. Back when it was available, it was as good as or better than anything in the sub-$1000 range. But Technics stopped making them.

Quote:
That being said, can you give me a short list of TT's to look for, new or used, that I should consider. I"m setting a budget of

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read that some replace the arm as well, either case I like the accuracy of the 1200 and if I can get one at a good deal then I will surely grab it.

The 1200 is at the top of my "want" list, other options i'm open to hear.

Yes the 3300 has a dedicated PHONO input as well as a ground.

I'm after the Mk2 but if the newer versions are basically the same or don't take a step backwards then that's fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well....I found a one-owner, lightly used and near-perfect condition...practically new 1200 Mk5 for $450.

I took the plunge and now I need a cartridge. Just outside of my budget but I trust it was a dcent deal.

Been looking at the Denon dl-110 and dl-160, not sure which one is best with the stock tonearm but i'm open for suggestions.

·
Registered
306 Posts
In the early days of direct-drive TT's I viewed them as good for DJs and scratching, but not the best for sound quality. And to some extent I think the motor-isolation and other arguments for belt drives still make a lot of sense, even if there are a lot of nice direct-drive TTs out there, including many of the higher-end Technics models. On the other hand, I think it is largely true that virtually all high-end audiophile TTs are belt-drive.

And then there are some folks who cherish their old rim-drive Garrard 301's.....

Regardless of drive method, in the end its all about the execution of the design.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.