AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally narrowed down whether I need 1 sub or 2, because it turns out my two connected rooms count as one space from the perspective of bass, and that space is over 4,000 cubic feet with floors similar to concrete. I originally had a $300 sub budget approximately, and did not know how expensive they were or that I had this issue and needed two. I am not tire kicking, it's just gotten more difficult because of this. Even if I close to double my budget, I will still need to be more picky about finding the right deal.

For example, the JBL 550P is same MSRP as the current standard price of the Rythmik L2F subwoofer, but was recently on sale for $189.99. I dont know about that sub in particular, but it's a good example the type of discount I'm looking for. If what Im looking for is not available now, please advise what I should look for in the after Christmas sale.

If I could choose one in that price range to be able to get two of for that price, it would probably be the Rythmik L2F, or if not that, probably the HSU VTF cheapest or 2nd cheapest if it was available for 60% off. It sounds like maybe these particular models dont go on sale, so let me know if there are any as good that have in the past or will in the future.

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
1,720 Posts
What are you after? SVS is ok. Better options for "bang for the buck".

500 bucks doesn't buy much of a sub.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
If budget is the driving factor I would agree.

·
Registered
86 Posts
never rush into buying anything unless you know what you actually need.

as for svs over here not much competition but where you are 2nd hand plenty of options. you need to understand your room sizing (cubic feet).. open or closed.. dedicated movie room or multi use.. other equipment/speakers being used.... any other person that may have a say in it and budget.

specials do not only occur once a year and get the wrong thing and its not a special anymore.

so work out the above then should get more helpful replies

·
Registered
378 Posts
RSL Speedwoofer or Monoprice Monolith for 10” subs in that price range. How big is your room and what is your setup?

Reactions: jaybo666

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RSL Speedwoofer or Monoprice Monolith for 10” subs in that price range. How big is your room and what is your setup?
My room is 9 by 10 except it has an open side to the side that is another 15 feet out to the side. In the main 9 by10 area,the ceiling is only 8 feet. 9 feet in the open side.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
never rush into buying anything unless you know what you actually need.

as for svs over here not much competition but where you are 2nd hand plenty of options. you need to understand your room sizing (cubic feet).. open or closed.. dedicated movie room or multi use.. other equipment/speakers being used.... any other person that may have a say in it and budget.

specials do not only occur once a year and get the wrong thing and its not a special anymore.

so work out the above then should get more helpful replies
My room is 9 by 10 except it has an open side to the side that is another 15 feet out to the side. In the main 9 by10 area,the ceiling is only 8 feet. 9 feet in the open side. Should I get the svs and infinity reference speakers, or something else?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
SVS makes some great sealed subs in smaller cabinets compared to most of the competition. If that's important you then most of their SB series are worth looking at.

If a larger (more standard) cabinet size or footprint works for you then there are several (slightly) better subs for your money.

Generally speaking, compared to 15 years ago this is a great era for buying a sub. Many of the ID (internet direct) sub manufacturers are all good bang-for-the-buck purchases - it's hard to go wrong with Rythmik, SVS, HSU, Powersound or RSL (just to name a few).

Reactions: PlanetAVS

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SVS makes some great sealed subs in smaller cabinets compared to most of the competition. If that's important you then most of their SB series are worth looking at.

If a larger (more standard) cabinet size or footprint works for you then there are several (slightly) better subs for your money.

Generally speaking, compared to 15 years ago this is a great era for buying a sub. Many of the ID (internet direct) sub manufacturers are all good bang-for-the-buck purchases - it's hard to go wrong with Rythmik, SVS, HSU, Powersound or RSL (just to name a few).
Thanks for the heads up. Not sure if this was smart use of my money or not, but I decided early on if I got the Infinity speakers on sale, I wanted to get the better versions of each, and I thought that would cost about $600 total but it was actually $800. But I bought it anyway because I was running out of time and couldnt find a sub I liked yet anyway. Someone else had suggested I buy the $220 jamo set and get the $500 SVS PB-1000 because the sub is more important than the speakers. Not sure I made the right choice. Anyway at this point I need to find a deal on a used sub, and find a better receiver than the the yamahah 770 for less money...the reviews at costco were really bad see here https://www.costco.com/yamaha-tsr-7....product.100686465.html#nav-pdp-tab-header-12... just to stay $300 over budget and not $600.

This Black Friday was a bit of a disaster lol. But on the bright side, I have $800 worth of speakers coming in the mail recommended by people Im not sure are at all reliable. And no receiver to plug them into. And no bass. Learn from my failures, people! Hah. And everyone said that Yamahah 700 was the steal of black friday, that there was not a better receiver available for cheaper on black friday, let alone after black friday.

I need a hail mary people! Or maybe I need to return my order and start from scratch next year.

Got any suggestions on used sub and a 4k receiver to work with a Sony 4K OLED without messing up the signal or the motion handling specifically?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Assuming your room is bigger then then atypical bathroom, (you didnt give us any room info or listening level info, or expectations....) You probably need dual 12" subs, or a really good single 15". Maybe even dual 18". But we are just guessing so I will guess dual 18" subs.Your budget is most likely short, significantly. Unless your room is 10' x 10'. There I go guessing again. How about some heart surgery? We can guess there to! :p

Reactions: d-rail34

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Assuming your room is bigger then then atypical bathroom, (you didnt give us any room info or listening level info, or expectations....) You probably need dual 12" subs, or a really good single 15". Maybe even dual 18". But we are just guessing so I will guess dual 18" subs.Your budget is most likely short, significantly. Unless your room is 10' x 10'. There I go guessing again. How about some heart surgery? We can guess there to! :p

My room is 9x10x8. Low ceilings. That is, that is the specs of the room for 3 sides of it.The 4th side opens up to room twice as big. Its an unbalanced room. But where the TV is, outside of the open side, its pretty small and cramped. And I dont plan to blow the roof off the place. Just want good immersive sound.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It might not make people very excited around here but if you bought the infinity speakers, I don't think it's unreasonable to add the R12 for now and be done -- two if you want. Or the 550p JBL. Both seem like decent subs, and you get a lot of bang for the buck. Gonna be hard to find better value on the used market than that.

No matter what you get now you're going to discover more about your needs and preferences, and down the road you're probably going to buy something different. I think it makes sense to start entry level and go from there. Neither of those subs will sound bad, they'll actually sound good -- just be missing some super low stuff.

There is also a hsu vtf-mk4 on clearance if you're dead set on a step up from the above rec -- that sub should land somewhere between pb1000 and pb2000 in performance, for cheaper than a pb1000.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No matter what you get now you're going to discover more about your needs and preferences, and down the road you're probably going to buy something different. I think it makes sense to start entry level and go from there. Neither of those subs will sound bad, they'll actually sound good -- just be missing some super low stuff.
Really? The reason this is confusing to me is because I bought an Infocus IN83 Projector over a decade ago, MSRP like $5999 I think (I got a good deal for lower, but still), and outside of black levels which apparently still arent very good on modern DLP projectors, I would wager that it still outperforms most modern 1080p projectors if not with the same MSRP (probably not, but... maybe? They hit that one out of the park, as happens like once every 10 years with a given company), at least for $1000 or $2000, and yet Ive been told its only worth like $300 now.

So in other words, because it's old and used, you can get something the quality of a new let's say $1000 projector for 33% the cost. So why wouldnt this apply to subwoofers and speakers? There have to be gems that are 10 or 15 years old, but still better made than most stuff today, yet because they're old and some peoplewant to get whatever they can for their old stuff so they can upgrade something much more expensive now, they sell for 33% the cost.

And that's a conservative estimate. I bet the IN83 outperforms some projectors at like 20% the cost if not 15%. The specs and age dont really matter when the natural picture quality, the colors, the sharpness, the motion handling, etc, were all balanced "just right" for that one old model. Shouldnt the same idea hold true for subs?

Edit: I've come to a decision. I am going to use my Infocus IN83 projector as my subwoofer.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Lol. It's always possible to find a gem on the used market if you're patient and lucky enough, but I think the current price for both the r12 and 550p are close enough to 0 that it makes sense to give it a shot especially since you just invested a decent amount and won't fully enjoy your purchases until the system is rounded out.

Subs seem to hold their value well, especially id subs, so it gets harder to find good used deals. That b stock hsu I mentioned would be tough to beat by much in the used market and you'd be giving up a warranty. Also subs are so tricky to get a feel for regarding setup, you will learn as you go.. Your room will impact a subwoofer performance far more than it impacts a projector. Learning your room w a cheaper but still quality sub is imo a safe and productive way to start a process which for most people evolves over time.. the jbl will probably give you satisfying high quality output at 28hz and up ish, relative to a pb1000 that costs 3x as much. The r12 might give a bit more output at 30ish and up. With a pb1000 or equivalent you would be paying 3x more for roughly 10hz of response, maybe 10% of total content. I chose to take that dive and ended up with a hsu vtf2mk5 which I'm happy with. But those clearance subs are ridiculous deals and for the layperson or someone just starting out, they probably provide the most value per dollar currently.. imo. This might not be the most popular opinion but I'm sticking w it - I think those subs look like they'd provide performance most ppl would really enjoy.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

Reactions: Spectah

·
Registered
114 Posts
1 - 20 of 119 Posts