AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I hate macros and want a hard buttoned remote--no soft menus or buttons needed. I love the remote that came with my 45TX receiver, but I think that it only has 2k of memory to learn non-preprogrammed codes. I see no need to flip through "pages" of "activities" when all I need to do is press one or two buttons. Nonetheless, I do like an LCD screen.


The 45TX remote is a beast and is often confused with a graphing calculator--the intimidation factor alone is great for preventing people from picking it up, though. However, the simplicity of the functioning is something that I can't seem to find in other remotes: choose the source component, and the buttons are mapped to that component's IR codes. I have no problem teaching the remote by hand, but a USB connection would make life a little easier.


I've gone through Remote Central's reviews, but I haven't seen any that really grab my attention. Is there anything out there that will do what I want?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,718 Posts
I'm not sure why you say you hate macros, as that's one of the most appealing properties of a good universal remote. Of course, it's your decision whether or not to program any. I would recommend the MX-900, as it fills the requirements you mention, but if the Remote Central review didn't grab you, then I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Quote:
However, the simplicity of the functioning is something that I can't seem to find in other remotes: choose the source component, and the buttons are mapped to that component's IR codes.

That either occurs or can be made to occur with virtually any universal remote.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The URC RF10 is actually closer to what I want than the MX-900, but thanks for the suggestion. The RF10--and other Universal remotes it seems--doesn't have separate buttons for fast forward/rewind and chapter skip ahead/back. Other than that, the RF10 looks closest to what I want.


I basically don't want any buttons that are only accessible through a menu--no soft buttons.


Maybe it was just a bad 550 that I had, but it was fairly slow. I could press Receiver ON, TV ON, Select Source, and Source ON using my old remote in about half the time the 550 took without worrying about whether or not the component actually turned on. Since something failed to relay from the remote to the component at least 10% of the time while running a macro, causing me to flip through pages of soft buttons, I have a bad taste in my mouth from using any macro-based remote. Plus, setting up the activities for non-standard viewing/listening settings using Logitech's software was a bigger hassle than the few button presses it actually required.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Sounds to me like you just needed to optimize the delays for your devices in the Harmony software. Most of the delays that are the defaults in the Harmony software are much longer than what is really needed. Check out the first thread in this section about sluggish Harmony response, or the device delay library to possibly help save you some time on figuring them out yourself.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016794


By optimizing the delays you can cut down the amount of time it takes a Harmony remote to start activities significantly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos /forum/post/14237111


The URC RF10 is actually closer to what I want than the MX-900, but thanks for the suggestion. The RF10--and other Universal remotes it seems--doesn't have separate buttons for fast forward/rewind and chapter skip ahead/back. Other than that, the RF10 looks closest to what I want.

The MX-900 does have those buttons, but it's also PC-programmable where the RF10 isn't.

Quote:
I basically don't want any buttons that are only accessible through a menu--no soft buttons.

Gotcha. That does limit the remote's ability to cover everything and truly replace you other remotes, but if you're just looking for limited control, that would work. You might consider an R7, which doesn't have an LCD display to show you what device you're currently controlling, but does have the buttons you want. Another possibility is a One for All 8910, which is more like the RF10 but with the chapter skip buttons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
I went through the Harmony "additional buttons" and deleted most of those soft buttons so I only had a page or 2. I also renamed others so they made more sense. Every Harmony device I've programmed seemed to have had a bunch of useless soft buttons that I've deleted. Similar devices seem to get lumped together into one common device set, for example, it seems every Dish sat receiver button for every possible receiver is there even if you only pick an entry level receiver.


As for the turn-on, you likely did just need to adjust the timing settings as already mentioned. Now I got mine set-up correctly I almost never use the Help or manual selection to fix a turn-on problem.


Peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,256 Posts
The radio shack 15-100 meets all your requirements besides USB, out of the box. USB programming is possible, but requires some hardware mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker /forum/post/14237191


Sounds to me like you just needed to optimize the delays for your devices in the Harmony software. Most of the delays that are the defaults in the Harmony software are much longer than what is really needed. Check out the first thread in this section about sluggish Harmony response, or the device delay library to possibly help save you some time on figuring them out yourself.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016794


By optimizing the delays you can cut down the amount of time it takes a Harmony remote to start activities significantly.

Sounds like a case for a professional install
This sems like a common problem with remote noobs, its all cool and no function.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top