AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some valuable insight for a 5.1 speaker system... room is 18x30ish with the tv setup in the middle of one of the 30 foot walls. the opposite wall from the tv opens up to another area of the casa at around 15 feet (so 15 feet of wall then 15 feet open)

I've got an onkyo receiver - used to be one of the best 6-7 yrs ago.

I listen to 60% music and 40% movies/tv ... obvious preference to music (all kinds of music)

I would like to hang the speakers in the respective corners of the room... is it possible to go wireless here?

open to all recommendations! Looking for quality, but most importantly value. Would like it in the 400-600 range, but if there is an unbelievable system for a bit more I would be willing. Sleek design is a plus.

Also, if there are ranking recommendations, please rank by best value.

have heard about energy take classic, definitive tech 600, pioneer sp-pk21bs (not sure if this one can hang in the corner), harman kardon...

Package systems are great, but have read about combining some different speakers for a better package - and I am fairly adament about hanging each speaker (other than the center and sub) up in the corner.

Looking forward to hearing some input!

Best regards,

J

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Small satellite speakers with 2 to 3" drivers are not a good choice for a very large room like yours, and the subwoofers that come with them would be totally inadequate. You need larger speakers to fill that kind of space.

You'll get a large improvement in sound quality for your front sound stage if you do not hang the L/R speakers in the corners. That's one of the worse places you can put them. That is, unless your intent is to go for the mall department store background music style sound, which is not good for HT.

An effective wireless setup will eat up a big chunk of your budget.

Since you would need a big (and expensive) sub to be effective in that size room, I would recommend wait on the sub. and getting the HSU HB-1 bookshelves and matching center . Then save your money toward a good sub purchase down the road.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
fwiw, like cel 4145 said putting your speakers in the corners of that size room is not very practical. there will be no soundstage at all which is very important to ht and music listening. putting quality speakers in the corners would be waste of your hard earned money and he also pointed out that small satellite speakers are not going to give you any kind of ht experience in that size roomthey also would be waste of money. imo and most every other member in this forum will agree, with your budget theres no way your going to get a 5.1 system to fill that size room and have "good" ht sound

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! Thanks very much for your input. I would have been hanging them in the corners and would have had no idea. I see that the bookshelves are almost 300 a pair, which including the center and no sub would put me at over 800. I will keep looking around to see if there is a bargain somewhere, but I'm not sure I can budget the extra cake to make it happen if I don't.

I really appreciate the ideas and look forward to hearing more!

-J

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Not sure it is still going on, but new egg had Polk m60s for 99 dollars each. Add another 150 for the matching center and you have a 3.0 set up, for less than 400 dollars. If you can get a decent sub for 400, you have the 3.1 of the 5.1 and could pick up surrounds later!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhookm  /t/1419668/looking-for-value-400-800-to-shell-out-for-a-quality-speaker-system#post_22207002

Looking for .....

5.1 speaker system...

room is 18x30ish ...... opens up to another area .....(so 15 feet of wall then 15 feet open).......

Looking for quality .... in the 400-600 range, but if there is an unbelievable system for a bit more ....

Sleek design is a plus.....

Also, if there are ranking recommendations, please rank by best value......

energy take classic, definitive tech 600, pioneer sp-pk21bs (not sure if this one can hang in the corner), harman kardon.....

I am fairly adament about hanging each speaker (other than the center and sub) up in the corner. ....

J
Wow this is a pretty tough order for this size of room and $600.

The speakers on your list are the usual suspects in this price range.

None are a home run over the others and none are a mistake compared to the others.

If you cannot listen to any of them yourself its kust a he said she said of opinions so don't anguish over it to much, just spin the wheel and buy what it lands on.

If you become open to floor standers or more budget that will open the window for much more discussion.

$1k for 5 speakers and a sub will get you a lot more, but its not going to be "sleek" and hang in the corners.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1419668/looking-for-value-400-800-to-shell-out-for-a-quality-speaker-system#post_22208560

Not sure it is still going on, but new egg had Polk m60s for 99 dollars each. Add another 150 for the matching center and you have a 3.0 set up, for less than 400 dollars. If you can get a decent sub for 400, you have the 3.1 of the 5.1 and could pick up surrounds later!

+1

If you subscribe to Newegg's mailing list and watch their specials, this is a good route to go. You could certainly pick up a 5.0 set within your budget.

The problem is the sub to fit your needs. Sub performance is related to room volume, and you have a giant room. What kind of flooring do you have? Cement base? Or wood flooring? There tends to be better bass response out of a sub with wood flooring because some of the low bass frequencies will travel through it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
elihawk- thanks for the rec! I saw the m60's for 99 each and the center is now 119 with coupon. in addition, the pair of m30's are 119 which would put the 5.1 at roughly 440... what do yall think about the m30s?

cel4145, thanks for all your help. and in regards to the sub, i have cement flooring - and if it makes a difference, I also have high ceilings.

also- my receiver is 375 watts. just figured that out as well

Signing up for newegg news letter is a great idea... will do that soon. I'm getting excited about this!

Looking forward to hearing some more of your valuable insight everyone... making progress!

-J

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
That's a good deal for you. The M60s will make for an awesome front sound stage

And a good choice otherwise. Going with the towers will give you some midbass, which might be about all a budget sub would do for you in that size room with cement floors. And the towers could certainly do about as well as on bass as one of the sub in those small satellite packages you were looking at.

If you could locate the sub right next to the listening position--within a few feet--something like the BIC F12 could work. That way the low frequency bass doesn't have far to travel. But otherwise, probably best to wait until you can afford a sub with a lot more output.

·
Registered
156 Posts
m30s are great little speakers for the price and will pair with the 60s perfectly. I used them for surround speakers for years. Go with the CS2 over the CS1 for your room size. Will make a great 5.0 system!

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
The Polk m60s will put out decent bass and for music, that might be adequate. Eventually and especially for HT usage, you will want to add a sub which can cover your sized room.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it seems as though the options are as follows-keep in mind that I welcome more!-: hsu research 5.0 system (739 on the website) - am hoping to find a better deal. Let me know if you know of any!, Polk audio m60's (2 for 99 each) cs2(109) and a pair of m30's(119) for a 5.0 setup, and then I've read that the Pioneer SP series is pretty great value-not sure how it will fill up a big room. Needless to say, I'm still open to other options.

I've done some recent research on polk audio and the hsu and they both have quite a following. I'm leaning towards the polk audio package because of its price and inherent value... but have heard great things about the hsu and would probably pick this one up if it were at a similar price or even a 100-200 cheaper than 739. Thoughts? is it worth the extra 300? I'm in the process of building a new home and will upgrade to B&W or something similar when that happens, but I want something that is representative of great value, i.e. sounds awesome and won't cost me a couple cases of good wine (I have my priorities).

The sub continues to be an area of discussion. what do you think about the energy s10.3? cel4145- i appreciate the rec on the bic f12... Any other ideas or feedback?

Thanks again for the number of helpful and quick responses I'm getting. I look forward to finishing this up so I can start enjoying some musac!

-J

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just wanted to share my thoughts on the Polk's. I have the Polk M50's and CS1 center that I picked up from Newegg for a great deal and they sound awesome given their price. I know there are better speakers out there, but with a budget like yours you should give the Monitor series a real consideration. Just as others have recommended, I ran them in a 3.0 setup until I could save up for a decent sub and rear speakers. For the price I paid I am happy.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
fwiw, if you don't mind buying used (with your budget you'll get more for your dollar) there are some ascend acoustic cmt 340's for lcr and a pair of htm 200 surrounds for$500 on audiogon. these are the older version but still great speakers for music and ht. make them an offer you might get them cheaper . these would set you back $1100 if new. again just an option

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
hiya Jhook,

where are you located? Would be good to hear these speakers you're considering, and there may be a member nearby that has one (or both
) of the systems you're looking at, and wouldn't mind giving an audition.

Joseph

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice idea! I'm in the houston area, but make trips to austin every once and a while. I've been trying to find such a shop actually, but have had no success.

And thanks for the post smasher50, I will definitely look into that. And I absolutely do not mind used speakers, especially if it chops a couple hundred bucks off and they still sound great.

Again, I appreciate the input!

-J

1 - 17 of 17 Posts