AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like a VGA switcher (db-15) that has remote control capability. I need 4 inputs and 2 outputs for all my Hi-Def sources. Any Ideas where to find such a thing?

·
Registered
47 Posts
It depends on how much you want to pay. If you take a look at www.inlineinc.com they have a series of switches. If you can find one of these switches that you like, and you have not choked at the price, you can add IR capability to it. How to do it gets detailed. I wrote a paper on it that is located in the files area of the Sony HS10 egroup. To access go to www.egroups.com and register for the HS10 group. Once registered the MS Word doc is in the file area.

In a nut shell, the inlineinc switches allow you to take a DB9 connector on the back of the switch and you can make specific ports active by shorting specific combinations of the 9 pins. By combining it with a cheap IR based switch, you can remotely create the shorting of the pins and select a port. It is a little kludgey, but I am sure it will work. I was not able to find any other quality IR controlled switches out in the market about 5 months ago after an extensive search.

Check it out before proceeding, I only looked into the 1x4 not the 2x4 switch. I am not sure how that will complicate things. If you ask inlineinc they can supply a technical doc that shows you what pins to short on the external connector to get the desired results. inlineinc uses this same external interface for their $500 remote control switch.

Good luck,

Mike.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Any opinions or comments on the Barco RCVDS 800 for a HDTV switcher? I am looking at it to share a monitor with a E* 6000 and a DTC-100.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had the same problem. Here's my current solution and other ideas.

I had an old Belkin Omnicube KVM switch (4-way model). I also have an IR wireless keyboard on my HTPC. To change the video source on the Omnicube you press Scroll Lock twice and then the number (1-4). I programmed by Pronto to do this. IR receiver is my IR keyboard recvr which is plugged into the Omnicube. Problem is: the Pronto sequence doesn't always work. Sometimes I have to issue the command twice (press button on Pronto twice). Annoying but works.

Another idea I had was to use a VGA to component transcoder and use a 3-rca switch that is IR controlled. Someone on avsforum posted the EVS-4000 works: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/avpronet/evs-4000.html

My final option (most expensive) is to buy a RGBHV switch with add-on IR. Found one at:
http://www.altinex.com/Products/matr.../MAXSeries.htm

What I'd really like to have is a Belkin Omnicube (or other switch in its price range) with IR control!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.