AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a speaker system for a wall-mount TV setup. I want all speakers to be flush mount (in-wall or in-ceiling). Due to construction, my left and right need to be in-ceiling. Because of this I want the center channel to be in-wall (above the TV).

It seems a common configuration for a center channel is 2 woofers and one tweeter. The problem is there is a stud offset about 4 inches from center, so I cannot mount this as a single assembly. I can do it if I break it up (tweeter in the center, woofers offset slightly left and right).

Has anyone seen discrete woofers and tweeters that would allow me to do that? I know I will have to deal with crossovers, which I am not concerned about. The main problem is finding the individual pieces that can be flush mounted separately.

I would also consider a surface mount center channel assembly, if it is very shallow (less than 2 inch depth).

·
Registered
862 Posts
LoL. This post is bananas. So you are completely comfortable with designing crossovers? Most would say thats the most difficult part.

My suggestion is to find inwall speakers (complete) that fit or on wall speakers that would work.

if you want more specific advice then I suggest offering more specific details. If you are interested in designing your own speaker then you might try the DIY portion of this board and Parts express forums

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,058 Posts
Look at the 7000 series from Golden Ear for your front L&R. For the center, just get a 2-way speaker that fits in the available space, or, mount the MTM speaker vertically. Worst case scenario, just mount three 7000s in the ceiling and call it a day. Don't even try this splitting the speaker concept, nothing but tears to be had at the end of that exercise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks RayGuy. I had been looking at the Paradigm H65-A for the LR, any opinion on it?

I'm curious where you see the challenge in the splitting concept. I'm comfortable working with the crossovers part. I'm much less confident in mounting raw drivers to drywall and finding grilles that will look good. Also, I don't know how to select a woofer that will work well in free air (no enclosure).

·
Registered
9,058 Posts
Thanks RayGuy. I had been looking at the Paradigm H65-A for the LR, any opinion on it?

I'm curious where you see the challenge in the splitting concept. I'm comfortable working with the crossovers part. I'm much less confident in mounting raw drivers to drywall and finding grilles that will look good. Also, I don't know how to select a woofer that will work well in free air (no enclosure).
Paradigm makes good speakers, but I have not heard that particular model, so no experience to pass on. That said, paradigm generally has a sound quality that can be described as a touch bright. For HT use, that can be a good feature, for music, less so. With the Golden Ear, with the folded ribbon tweeter, I would expect a more airy presentation, less bright but still reasonably detailed.

The reason I mentioned GE, is because you are ceiling mounting your front speakers, something most folks here recommend against, as it is difficult to get the feeling that the sound is coming from the screen. Often is sounds like it's coming ... wait for it ... from the ceiling. The GEs are said to be very good at minimizing that effect. I think it may have something to do with the narrow vertical dispersion of that tweeter type, limiting reflected energy off the ceiling ... but that's just a guess.

As to the splitting challenge, you are ignoring the interaction of the physical placement of the tweeter and woofer in a horizontal configuration. Do it wrong, and you have combing issues in the crossover region. Even well designed centers sometimes have these issues. But, it sounds like you are interested in doing the "project" just for fun, and if that's the case, WTH, you got nothing to lose (except time and more wallboard when you swap it out :D). Still, mounting vertically would be the better solution.

BTW, it is not mandatory that the center speaker be in the exact center. It can be a few inches one way or the other without much impact on the sound. The farther back you sit, the less it will be an issue, if it even is one to begin with. Test twice, cut once!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Due to construction, my left and right need to be in-ceiling. Because of this I want the center channel to be in-wall (above the TV).
Wouldn't you get overall higher sound quality by matching your center to your left and right speakers by installing your center in the ceiling? I realized that ceiling placement is not ideal (Floyd Toole wout argue it's the worst possible location), but if you going to do it then I can't see a benefit to placing just the center in the wall. The sound would be so different between the center and the L/R as to be jarring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
genesplitter - interesing point. I figured since in-wall is preferred, I should use in-wall for the center if possible. I hadn't considered it being weird to have the center being different fro LR. I am curious what others think about that.

RayGuy - This wouldn't really be "fun" for me, I just want to do it "right". To me, having the center mounted vertically, or off center, looks "wrong". Of course, doing it "right" really means re-framing this load bearing wall, but I am really trying to avoid that. And yes, I hadn't considered that I would have to understand the combing between woofer and tweeter in the crossover region.

At this point I am leaning toward mounting a 2-way in-wall on either side of the stud. I am thinking of disconnecting one of the tweeters to prevent the combing that would be created with the two tweeters. I imagine I would need to add some kind of dummy load in place of the disconnected tweeter so the cutoff frequency of the woofer is not affected.

·
Registered
957 Posts
genesplitter - interesing point. I figured since in-wall is preferred, I should use in-wall for the center if possible. I hadn't considered it being weird to have the center being different fro LR. I am curious what others think about that.
I sure don't know where in walls are preferred. IMHO I sure wouldn't use them. Seems they are just a worst case solution. YMMV

·
Registered
9,058 Posts

RayGuy - This wouldn't really be "fun" for me, I just want to do it "right". To me, having the center mounted vertically, or off center, looks "wrong". Of course, doing it "right" really means re-framing this load bearing wall, but I am really trying to avoid that. And yes, I hadn't considered that I would have to understand the combing between woofer and tweeter in the crossover region.

At this point I am leaning toward mounting a 2-way in-wall on either side of the stud. I am thinking of disconnecting one of the tweeters to prevent the combing that would be created with the two tweeters. I imagine I would need to add some kind of dummy load in place of the disconnected tweeter so the cutoff frequency of the woofer is not affected.
I am in agreement with genesplitter, who said that three in-ceiling speakers would be the better solution. Given all the various issues with the center channel, mounting three GE 7000s (or the Paradigms) would be the easier and higher quality solution. I think you should give it serious consideration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts