AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a suggestion on where to buy sconces? Ive looked at a ton of places online, but the wife and I cant seem to come to an agreement, which is pretty typical :). Im not interested in the the ones that say like cinema or have popcorn or what not....just something nice to put on columns for a little ambient lighting.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Have you checked your local sources like Lowe's, Home Depot and local speciality Lighting Stores?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah weve looked at HD and Lowes...we found some that were ok if you catch my drift...nothing great....I guess Im not even sure what Im looking for....I'll know it when I see it I guess..of course trying to stay in a reasonable price range has its effects as well.

·
Registered
623 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Got mine at IKEA, check out my gallery for a picture next to the exit sign..I hae 5 around my basement controled by a dimmer from HD.. hope this helps you.. Matt

·
Registered
139 Posts
Another vote here for lampsplus and homedecorators..

Although with Homedecorators, I go to homedecoratorsoutlet.com as I think their normal site is too overpriced. Most of their stock eventually seems to end up in the outlet. I watched my $279 bar stools forever before I bought them for $79 each on the outlet site.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Taxman....saw something similiar to these at Lowes yesterday. They appear to be a little wider than yours but the same design. They came in 2 or 3 finishes, around $60...what did the ones at Ikea cost if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
lamps plus

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah my wife doesnt like the paintable ones, but thanks for suggesting it....I think I have found the ones that I am going to get, but havent finalized my decision yet. Found them on ebay

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I use the paintable ones in my office, but I do find they don't put out a lot of light since the sconce itself is opaque. Just an observation I found.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
DFord42: they cost $20.. company is called "Strimma" and you could find them on the IKEA website.. I have the one by the exit sign, wired with a pull chain, the rest are on dimmers

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dford42
.just something nice to put on columns for a little ambient lighting.
I would look at putting them between the columns rather than on the columns. And pay special attention to the pattern that they throw. When installed, that will be as important to the look as the fixture itself.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Defintely going on the columns, not in between, dont like that look as much as on the columns. I found ones that I believe I am going to purchase. Found them on ebay. A little expensive, but sometimes you just have to pay for things you like. THanks for all your input.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Also, having them on the columns, you can benefit from not having big holes in your room's shell. Feed the romex through a small caulked hole and have the box on the column.

Dan

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm currently putting the finishing touches on my new house and home theater room. Today I placed an order at Lampsplus for the following sconces: Sconce 1 (Flanking my Projector screen) & Sconce 2 (General room lighting) . For anyone who's planning to purchase from LampsPlus, google "LampsPlus Promotional Codes." I was able to find several coupons like the following:

$20 off $100 purchase

$10 off $50 purchase

$25 off $250 purchase

See CouponCabin for details. I don't know what made me think to search for coupons but I'm glad I did. Just thought I'd pass along the savings...

-Jeremy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.