AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a surge protector to place on the coax lines coming into my house? I am looking for a dedicated surge protector that would protect the coax lines coming from a dish and antennae. My plan was to place it at the distribution point where my satellite lines come into the house and are split for different receivers. It would have to allow the satellite signals through. Since satellite lines carry voltage as well, is this even possible? I am just a little worried about relying only on the grounding cable of the dish and antennae.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
You aren't really needing a whole house protector, as at most you have a couple of coax lines from your Sat Dish and one from your antenna. Try the Leviton 5350 series. These plug into an AC outlet and use the grounding already established in your home. They are modular and stackable, so you plug one into the outlet and connect your in/out coax. If you need more, you add another and connect it to the first, still only using the one AC outlet. They run about $20 to $25 each depending on whether it's Coax, Sat, RJ45 or whatever.

·
Registered
469 Posts
There is also a product that we use called the Surgender, and they only cost about $3.00 (We buy them wholesale). If you want any, contact me. They work pretty well. I agree with Robert regarding whole house protection. many electricians can install one on your main panel. Home Depot sells them for less then $100.00, but you better get an electrician to do it. This is AC surge protection, not coax protection. There are also numerous surge strips on the market that incorporate coax surge protection in them. Be careful though, many of them degrade your picture (especially after they absorb a surge). Use only good ones like Panamax, TripLite, etc. One more alternative in AC surge protection. The Gas & Electric company in our area will sell you a monthly surge protection unit that mounts outside your house and you pay about $8.00 per month for it here. As long as you see a green light on it, the protection is active. They give some kind of warranty against damage to your electronics, but who knows what they actually pay for or cover. Has anyone tried to collect from this? Many of the surge protectors also give a warranty that could be $100,000.00 protection or more, but I don't know anyone who has ever collected money as a result of damage using one of these.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.