AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
You'll need access at one of the ends, to use a 'fox and houd', a tone and probe kit.

I bought this one, but I think I paid ~ $60. Works well, no complaints.

It's used for finding cables behind drywall.

Not sure what kind of testing you need to do.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
They are usually called toners as "Fox and Hound" is not a true trade name most big box stores clerks would be familiar with. Easy and safe to use too.

Lowe's and HD carry them in the home entertainment/telephone sections.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I bought mine at HD or Lowes, but can be found cheaper at Amazon or elsewhere online.

If you only need to determine which cable is which, you can use a $10 multimeter - but depends on the cable.

What type of cable?

Edit - you can use a battery and a flashlight bulb, if you're really tight, and have the time.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Don't buy anything yet. What type of cable?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb2 /forum/post/20894706

I just need to make sure i have the correct wires on both ends. Where can i purchase the fox & hound kit..thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist /forum/post/20897267

direct contact or proximity behind walls or in bundles/harnesses.

Pretty sure he doesn't need a toner, needs a continuity tester. A toner would work well, but can be done cheaper.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Th toner can hear the wires behind the wall. Then once you have the generator connector connected to the end of one, the loudest signal will be the direct connection for an individual wire/pair.

Battery operated continuity testers are also readily available but they are sort of useless when trying to ID concealed wires or where both ends are not close together.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Are you trying to find the wires behind the drywall? If yes, you need the inductive toner and tone generator.

If you need to figure out which wire is which, then play music through them..

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I used to use resistors and my digital ohm meter to identify which wire was which. I had a set of clip leads in 1k steps from 1k to 20k ohms.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I have used the resistor method on cable bundles when they were not correctly tagged during the pull by the electrician. I built a semi automatic one that gives 10 separate resistance reading using decade counter and a 555 timer chip.

It runs on a 9 volt battery, IDs 10 lines, has variable scan and dwell speeds.

I also built one that uses a DTMF generator (touchtones) that steps through the tones. On the other end is a DTMF decoder with LEDS. It makes no difference what the connection order is on the receiving end of the cable, the detector will positively ID the selected cable by the tone and give a visual indication.

BTW, readily available and cheap DTMF encoders and decoders are a great way to control up to 12 functions of anything over a UTP . These are available as small kits and have relay drive outputs.

The wildest one I built sold quickly. It had an RF xcvr so after you connected the transmitter and then went to the other end of the cable, you could start the sequence to auto advance on number at a time or manually advance through the sequence.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
A REALLY quick and dirty method is to connect the wires to the speakers then use a AA battery between the feed ends to produce a small pop in the speaker. Won't hurt your speakers (or your wallet.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.