AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is my first post here but i have been reading the postings for a little while. I am looking to pick up a 37" LCD this year (going from a 32"CRT) and i have been doing a lot of homework to educate myself on the various features and characteristics of Plasma and LCD. I am by no means an expert but i am learning lots.

It seems like this model year has some fairly big innovations being incorporated so as a result of research i am trying to be patient. I am choosing 37 due to the space i have available to stick this thing into(38" wide).

I want a good quality set, i want great PQ and looks so price isnt going to be the first thing i look at.

So here are is my short list, anyone with info or opinions on these models plz let me know .

Toshiba Regza 37HL67

Samsung LN-S3738D

JVC LT37X987

Sharp LC-37D42U(or 43U)..rumors of a 62 series?

LG 37LB5D (or 4D)

Panasonic 37" plasma(no 2007?)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey. I'm in the exact same situation. I'm looking for a 37" LCD to fit in a tight space and I'm also looking for quality, although I'm still slightly concerned about price.

I had my heart set on the Sharp Aquos LC37D90U until they pulled it off the shelves.

So now my choices are further narrowed to:

Sharp Aquos LC37D43U (sadly this is only 786 resolution)

LG 37LB5D (or 4D but I would rather have the 1080p resolution).

I'm waiting for the LG's to show up anywhere but so far the new aquos looks reasonably priced. I have to wait and see how they look. I refuse to buy something without seeing it in person first and seeing the quality of the image compared to the others. I'm not desperate though. I am aiming for May-ish to buy it so let me know if you buy one and how it looks.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickA05 /forum/post/0

Hey. I'm in the exact same situation. I'm looking for a 37" LCD to fit in a tight space and I'm also looking for quality, although I'm still slightly concerned about price.

I had my heart set on the Sharp Aquos LC37D90U until they pulled it off the shelves.

So now my choices are further narrowed to:

Sharp Aquos LC37D43U (sadly this is only 786 resolution)

LG 37LB5D (or 4D but I would rather have the 1080p resolution).

I'm waiting for the LG's to show up anywhere but so far the new aquos looks reasonably priced. I have to wait and see how they look. I refuse to buy something without seeing it in person first and seeing the quality of the image compared to the others. I'm not desperate though. I am aiming for May-ish to buy it so let me know if you buy one and how it looks.

Sharp has a 37" in the GP1U series coming out. Its a gamer series tv: 1080p, 3 HDMI, 2 component, and a DVI - all accepting 1080p.

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Fun...642-34,00.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i read the specs on the GP1U sreies but im not sure about a gaming TV seeing as i dont use it for that. It might be a great TV but the extra's for gaming im not sure ill be willing to pay for.

I am very interested in the Samsung LN S3738D model, i have been impressed with the sammy's i have seen in stores so when this one hits here in Canada im going to give it a serious look.

Its hard to know whats coming to Canada this year, very few of the salespeople i talk to even know whats coming up in the Industry. One salesperson told me tonite about a Hitachi 1080P 37" coming out, im going to search this one out too .

I cant say im sold on 1080P anyway, i was comparing 2 Sony's 1 with 1080P, the other with 1080i, not a big difference, and probably no diff. on a 37". But im not saying no to it either! ..

·
Registered
304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead /forum/post/0

Hello all, this is my first post here but i have been reading the postings for a little while. I am looking to pick up a 37" LCD this year (going from a 32"CRT) and i have been doing a lot of homework to educate myself on the various features and characteristics of Plasma and LCD. I am by no means an expert but i am learning lots.

It seems like this model year has some fairly big innovations being incorporated so as a result of research i am trying to be patient. I am choosing 37 due to the space i have available to stick this thing into(38" wide).

I want a good quality set, i want great PQ and looks so price isnt going to be the first thing i look at.

So here are is my short list, anyone with info or opinions on these models plz let me know .

Toshiba Regza 37HL67

Samsung LN-S3738D

JVC LT37X987

Sharp LC-37D42U(or 43U)..rumors of a 62 series?

LG 37LB5D (or 4D)

Panasonic 37" plasma(no 2007?)

I'm in the same boat as you -- looking for a good quality set and preferably a 37" because of space limitations(cabinet is 38" wide). Price is somewhat of a concern to me, I don't really want to spend more than $1500. I currently have an LG 37LC2D that I got at Best Buy. I wish I would have waited before selling my Sony 32" CRT because now I've put myself in a situation where I need to decide what I want now instead of waiting for a few months and giving the '07 models a chance to hit the market before making my decision. I'm still well within my 30 days to return the LG to BB and it's definitely going back, I just want to make a decision on what my next set is going to be before doing it.

The Samsung you listed is one of the TV's on my list but it's only available through Sam's Club and the closest SC to me is about 140 miles away and the set isn't available to purchase online. It would be nice to know what the native contrast ratio is on this set, they list the Dynamic as 3000:1 but give no mention to what native is, even in the manual on their web site.

I'm seriously thinking about the Sharp LC-37D42U but can't find this set at any of my local retailers so I'm hesitant about ordering it online without seeing it first. The same goes for the Olevia 537h, this set has a pretty good contrast ratio(1600:1) and only 1 HDMI input but I've heard good things about it and the same also goes for the Westinghouse LVM-37w3, this set offers 1080p and plenty of inputs but it's no where to be found in stores. I'd hate to buy a TV from an online retailer and end up getting something I'm not satisfied with. If I see it in action first then I wouldn't mind it so much. Best Buy and Circuit City have really good return policies and would prefer to buy through them than online. I'm on my 3rd TV at BB and they haven't given me any hassles about returning the sets.

Several things that I've been looking for in the set I want are:

Contrast ratio - how well can the set reproduce blacks. I know I'm not going to get CRT black but I want an LCD with good black levels.

Pixel response time - I do alot of gaming so I want a min. of 8ms but 6ms would be preferable.

Inputs - I would prefer to have 2 HDMI, 2 Component, VGA & or DVI, S-Video and either optical or coaxial audio out.

Resolution is not really a big deal for me, 1080p or 720p will work. Beings the set is only 37" and I sit 8-9ft away from the TV I don't think I will really see the difference for 1080p to matter.

In regards to the other sets you listed, I haven't heard anything about the JVC, I thought about the Toshiba but I decided against it because the max resolution you could get through the VGA input was 1024x768, and the LG I'm not even considering after my poor experience with the LC2D models. Hopefully they get that mura thing fixed.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Your current 32" 4:3 TV has a screen height of about 19 inches. A 16:9 ratio 37" TV has a screen height of about 18 inches.

Despite your apparent space limitations, I would try and get a 16:9 TV that is higher than my current TV. Then the extra width is a total addition to screen area, not a partial substitute. That means at least a 40" flat panel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am in total agreement Setzer, your specs are pretty much my wants too. I did a little looking into the Hitachi 37HLX99 directors series, 120 hz, and a whole lot of options for PQ adjustment. If i believe Hitachi it sound like a great TV, a couple ppl have posted about it and have said it was one of the best out there. Hard to say for me because no one in my town has one for me to eyeball and i wont buy one if i cant see it in person. They have a new version coming out in the Spring but who knows if ill see it up here in Canada anytime soon.

If anyone has experience with this TV plz let me know what you think, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Hitachi sounds nice but I'm checking over the detailed spec sheet and can't find any mention of contrast ratio or pixel response time. Obviously the 120hz is a very nice feature to have but for a $2000 LCD why only 720p? If I'm going to spend that much on a set then I would probably go with the Sharp LC-37D90U or the Mitsubishi LT-37131.

I think I've narrowed my choices down to the Sharp LC-37D42U or the Westinghouse LVM-37w3. Both of these sets can be had for right around $1000 and offer plenty of inputs. I figure eventually I'll move this set into my bedroom, ditch my entertainment center and buy a bigger LCD in a year or so - hopefully black levels and contrast ratios on these flat panels will be significantly improved by then.

I'm having a tough time deciding between these 2 sets because for one I haven't seen either of them in action and I don't know if I should go with 1080p or not. Here are the pros and cons I've found on each:

Westinghouse LVM-37w3

Pros:
1080p, lots of inputs(1 HDMI, 2-DVI, 2-Component, 1-VGA, 1-S-Video & Composite).

Cons: 1000:1 Contrast ratio - blacks levels aren't that great, Only 1 HDMI, no optical or coaxial audio outputs, issues with the PS3.

Sharp LC-37D42U

Pros:
1200:1 Contrast ratio(6000:1 Dynamic) - this set is probably one of the best out there at reproducing blacks, at least so I've read. 6ms Pixel response time. Plenty of inputs(2 HDMI, 2 Component, 1 VGA, 1 S-Video and 2 Composite). Optical audio output.

Cons: Not 1080p, Sharp sets tend to have a red push.

This is all going by stuff I've read. Obviously the specs and inputs are accurate because they're listed on the Mfg. web site but as far as black levels and red push stuff is concerned, I've only read this from other people who own the sets and reviews.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.