AVS Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebold88 /forum/post/0

It seems like stuffing the box with polyfill (lowering the Q), just makes the excursion problem worse, so it seems like I wouldn't want to do that? Looks like some people just line the walls, and it looks like polyfill doesn't do much for lining the walls if anything? Fiberglass insulation seems to work better, but what is the right kind and where could I get it?

Basically, what's the best way to stuff or line the box, hopefully not creating a bigger excursion limit.

What's your current Q? Do you need to stuff? You CAN build smaller and stuff to lower Q which is what most people do. This helps with excursion also.

What size you set on? How does your excursion model with the HF?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I don't really have a set size, they're going to be big. I was going to go with 4.8cf, which has a Q of 0.734. With 200W going to this, it hits x-max at just over 10Hz, so I planned on using a HPF to help deal with the excursion. Bigger box makes me have to raise my HPF or lower the power though.

At 375W and a 16Hz HPF, it just hits x-max at 22Hz then tapers off.

A 4.2cf box gives me a Q of 0.764. I think that's the size Unicron-WMD went with, but said he would have rather made his bigger.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:

I don't really have a set size, they're going to be big. I was going to go with 4.8cf, which has a Q of 0.734. With 200W going to this, it hits x-max at just over 10Hz, so I planned on using a HPF to help deal with the excursion. Bigger box makes me have to raise my HPF or lower the power though.

At 375W and a 16Hz HPF, it just hits x-max at 22Hz then tapers off.

A 4.2cf box gives me a Q of 0.764. I think that's the size Unicron-WMD went with, but said he would have rather made his bigger.

Post the models

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Here's the cone excursion, all peaking at x-max with whatever power that required. All have a first order 16Hz HPF.

Here's the output with box size and Q.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
So it looks like you have to get a plug-in with the minidsp. So, do I just need the unbalanced one, and what plug-in would I want? Do I need 1 or two input cables? 1 or 2 output cables to the amp?

And does this look like adequate bracing? Or what would be better?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:

So it looks like you have to get a plug-in with the minidsp. So, do I just need the unbalanced one, and what plug-in would I want? Do I need 1 or two input cables? 1 or 2 output cables to the amp?

And does this look like adequate bracing? Or what would be better?

That bracing should be fine. I don't know much about the minidsp but I believe most go for the balanced version

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Can anyone comment on what miniDSP and plug-in I would need? What cables I would need? I'm going to try to order tonight, but I don't want to be making multiple orders just to get the right cables.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:

Can anyone comment on what miniDSP and plug-in I would need? What cables I would need? I'm going to try to order tonight, but I don't want to be making multiple orders just to get the right cables.

Try posting your question in the minidsp forum or sending an email to the minidsp dev team

61 - 68 of 68 Posts