AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My wife and I were at CC last night and saw an optoma hd72 and got it looked aweful, grainy, just hideos, and my wife promptly jumped all over me, saying if thats what your gonna do, the 3rd floor can get a 45" lcd instead, I assured her that know, this is just a CC f-ck up and a real projector will be like looking thru the window like our Sharp 37d4ou LCD in hi-def.

Please tell me im not a liar =). I have never seen a projector in person, only what I read on these forums, so if there is a "looking thru the window projector" that beats my LCD @ 106" please lay it on me, ( i prefer dlp for the blacks ). I have 8' ceilings and can place the projector anywhere front to back.

Thanks in advance, I hope this will be my last question before purchasing, so i can watch the DA BEARS !! in the super bowl on the big screen !!

Thanks in advance !!

Will the hd 1000u from mistu do it?

·
Registered
453 Posts
What was being presented on the HD72 when you viewed?

The reason I ask is because I watched the end of the Chargers-Patriots game at CC today & noticed they only had SD piping through for television. The game looked pretty bad on every TV, especially after having come from home, watching it in HD on my HD1000U.

The plasmas, LCDs, and the PJ (an IN72) all looked very mediocre. I noticed one of the 1080p Sonys had the blu-ray demo disk running... talk about a stark contrast in picture quality vs. the football game!

Rest assured, the PJ picture quality you see in the attachments & links on the forum are reality! But also know that your SD TV channels are going to look pretty average on 106".

·
Registered
108 Posts
You can't beat an lcd or plasma for sharpness but that doesn't mean a projector can't make your jaw hit the floor. Sheer size and a great picture beats out an incredible picture at around 40" in my book. They are certainly two different experiences. Find another place to demo for her.

I have a 42" plasma and a DVD resolution projector. I will not watch movies on my plasma with the projector in the house. No way.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff34 /forum/post/0

Hey guys,

My wife and I were at CC last night and saw an optoma hd72 and got it looked aweful, grainy, just hideos, and my wife promptly jumped all over me, saying if thats what your gonna do, the 3rd floor can get a 45" lcd instead, I assured her that know, this is just a CC f-ck up and a real projector will be like looking thru the window like our Sharp 37d4ou LCD in hi-def.

Please tell me im not a liar =). I have never seen a projector in person, only what I read on these forums, so if there is a "looking thru the window projector" that beats my LCD @ 106" please lay it on me, ( i prefer dlp for the blacks ). I have 8' ceilings and can place the projector anywhere front to back.

Thanks in advance, I hope this will be my last question before purchasing, so i can watch the DA BEARS !! in the super bowl on the big screen !!

Thanks in advance !!

Go to Mitsu's site and download the projector calculator. Placement of the projector without keystoning may be limited by your 8' ceilings.

That said, just shooting my HD1000u on a piece of BO cloth clipped to a curtain rod is fantastic. In a 16' x 16' room I am able to get a 108" diagonal picture. Even with the waves in the fabric the picture is very good. Later today I get my real screen. This projector is bright enough to even handle some low ambient light in the room.

Source material is key. High def football on Fox looks fantastic. You can easily tell if it's on grass or astroturf. You can even see the divots in the grass from the cleats. This is the setup to have for the Superbowl.

The only other thing that comes close for less than a kilobuck is the HD70.

-Mike

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff34 /forum/post/0

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance !!

Here's what you do. Buy the 45" LCD from CC and enjoy it. In the next 30 days find some AVS projectorheads in your area and see a proper HT setup. Take the Mrs over when you find one. Exchange the LCD for a PJ (within 30 days) and bank the balance of the loot for future goodies (a 45" LCD 1080p when prices drop for instance-half again as much two years from now). Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You saw a bad set up. My wife didn't think my old X1 would look good till I turned it on. Then she was blown away.

She then didn't think it would be "all that much better" when I went to the HD70. Again, she was amazed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.