AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a DVD player (I use my Xbox now 4 DVDs). I would like to have a DVD unit that also has a HD recorder and found this Toshiba Tivo model with a 80 hr HD. Unit comes with free Basic service for life. Here is a link to the pros and cons.
http://customersupport.tivo.com/tivo...ic/tv1199.htm?

I am replay all the way but this seens to fit my bill for what I am looking for in a DVD player with a HD. I have three Replays (5160, 5080 & 5040) now. I also have Directv service so there is no VCRPlus support for use with the other DVD/HD combos out there now.

Any input, any Ideas?????????

Price- $499.99 less 10% off for a total of $449.99 @ Best Buys this week.

·
Registered
833 Posts
TiVo Basic is all but useless. Also, if I remember correctly the Toshiba DVDTiVo has some really inane stupid interface design (the DVD player and TiVo are _COMPLETELY_ seperate). I think if thats the solution you really want you should get the new pioneer dvd+-rw TiVo. A lot more expensive, but a lot more polished.

That being said, your DVR isn't a DVD player and shouldn't be. Get a good progressive scan dvd player and keep it seperate from your DVR. They are different devices. :)

Also, read TiVocommunity.com about the combo units, people are having some quality / software issues with them (aggressive flickering on several channels etc).

If you have DirecTV and want to swithc, get DTiVo and a good standalone dvd player.

-kjac

·
Registered
744 Posts
Maybe look into the RCA DVR offering with DVD player--older model DRS-7000N, newer model DRC-7005.

I got a 7000N for my parents and they are pleased with it. The interface is really kludgey, but functional. The DVR picture quality is AMAZING (better than even my old Showstopper), but there are some quirks with the software. The most annoying thing is that if you are watching a show that is currently recording (but delayed), when the recording ends, the machine kicks you out of watching your program and forgets where you left off! You have to go find it again under the "Video" menu and jump to the place that you left off.

On the plus side, you can find these units for

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've heard that the picture quality on those Toshiba Tivo/DVD units is just plain awful. So bad that many of them are being returned.

It's a shame, too... you pay through the nose just to get a Tivo you can save shows to DVD on, and then it creates unwatchable DVDs. To think someone can spend a small fraction on a Replay and with the use of a networked PC with DVD-recorder and DVArchive, you can not only save to DVD, but even edit out commercials.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The RCA DSRs are able to download any guide data for use with DirecTV. VCRplus data is not sent by DirecTV. I did pick the unit from Best Buy this afternoon. I have 30 days to try it and see how I like it. I will post my review. I paid $360.00 on sale.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I will be interested to know if you can get Guide+ to download DirecTV listings. From what I have read it does not, but then again I have not actually tried it.

Another interesting feature of the RCA units: The "quickskip" and "instant replay" (called "advance" and "again" in RCA terms) buttons also work on DVD playback. How many times have you tried hitting "instant replay" on your DVD remote only to find it is not there?

·
Registered
105 Posts
My $0.02 unadjusted...

I would wait if possible. The combo HD+DVD burner PVR is going to become big real soon. When "soon" is, is where I have no idea.

Cheers.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I have this SDH400 up and running. Got to tell folks for the money ($360.00) this is really a nice unit.

First the Tivo side............

Works just like any other Tivo. Setup is a bit long and takes a long time to setup. Once it downloads all the data the unit is usable while in this setup mode. Tvio basic service is included for life. The guide data has a limit of three days right out of the box for life without any paided service. Guide data is downloaded ever night by phone or a UBS wireless or wired network adapter. I used a spare Linksys WUSB11 ver2.6 and setup and connection was done in less then a mineut. For a wired network you need to use the Linksys USB100TX. This is connected to my Hitachi 61" HDTV using the YBG outputs set @ 540P scan. This Hitachi has a 1080i video display but the SDH400 only supports 540p.

Features TiVo Basic.................

Hard Disk Recording

Record from Guide

Record by time and channel

Control Live TV

With TiVo you can pause, rewind and slo-mo live TV, Program Information Up to 3 days, Broadband connectivity, Parental Controls.

The DVD side....................

Switching between the Tivo and the DVD is done with the remote. The Tivo is turned off when the DVD is turned on. Recording on the Tivo end is still in place when using the DVD. I found the picture quality very good on my set. The audio is sent by Fiber to my Harman Kardon 2000 for 5:1 sound. Great quality with this setup. Other then that the DVD works just like any other DVD.

I am pleased with this Tivo and DVD combo. For PVR needs I still have my ReplayTV and don't plan on buying the service from Tivo. Three days of the guide is plenty for me as I will be using the Tivo for my day to day viewing. This setup will also allow me to have two PVRs (1 RTV & 1 Tivo) in my family room and have no remote control conflicts.

I know this is not the Tivo forum but I started it here so I post it here.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Rod
I know this is not the Tivo forum but I started it here so I post it here.
That's all right, no one's going to read this post anyway :D

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Rod
You did :D :D
You assume facts not in evidence. How do you know that I don't have a text-to-speech synthesizer on my pc? Using that would be listening, not reading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.