AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone in the Huntsville/Madison, Alabama area have a light meter that I could use to measure my set? Purchased Jan 2010 so it's still fairly new. Maybe a few hundred hours to-date... would love to get a "baseline" (well, as "base" as possible)... Too pricey to get my own meter just for such occasional use.

thanks!!

..dane

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good luck in getting someone here to come over and measure your set. They won't even answer half my questions, yet alone give me curb-side service. LOL

You can get a good meter for around $125. I just ordered one for "occasional use", and to calibrate my 4 flat panel TVs. You might as well invest if you're serious about calibration. I see no chance in hell of someone here letting you borrow their meter.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems to be the case... that's pretty sad, actually. There are some other forums I'm a part of that has much more "community" to it-- folks going out of their way for each other, getting together for lunches, etc.

Pity... $125 seems a high investment "just to check" ... I only have the one TV, and don't have any issues with its current performance. I just want to document its current level of performance in case there are any future issues.

I'll try again ... anybody got a light meter I can borrow?

thanks,

..dane

·
Registered
483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC74 /forum/post/18272234

Good luck in getting someone here to come over and measure your set. They won't even answer half my questions, yet alone give me curb-side service. LOL

You can get a good meter for around $125. I just ordered one for "occasional use", and to calibrate my 4 flat panel TVs. You might as well invest if you're serious about calibration. I see no chance in hell of someone here letting you borrow their meter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane /forum/post/18295188

Seems to be the case... that's pretty sad, actually. There are some other forums I'm a part of that has much more "community" to it-- folks going out of their way for each other, getting together for lunches, etc.

Pity... $125 seems a high investment "just to check" ... I only have the one TV, and don't have any issues with its current performance. I just want to document its current level of performance in case there are any future issues.

I'll try again ... anybody got a light meter I can borrow?

thanks,

..dane

I think there are definitely people here who go beyond the call of duty which is saying a lot since most users here don't benefit monetarily from being here. Additionally Many of the users/sponsors who do benefit by obtaining clients are helpful and go out of their way as well.

Its kinda odd to me when I see people griping about how their question went unanswered. Maybe people don't know the answer, maybe the post was missed. Maybe you rubbed someone the wrong way. Maybe the answer is easily findable via search and/or simple research.

Your request to borrow equipment from a total stranger is somewhat unreasonable for various reasons. The fact that no one responded is no indicator of the level of contribution many give here. If there was a chance of someone being able and willing to do this, they probably decided not to now that they've read your follow-ups.

The level of entitlement people feel sometimes amazes me.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 /forum/post/18295769

I think there are definitely people here who go beyond the call of duty which is saying a lot since most users here don't benefit monetarily from being here. Additionally Many of the users/sponsors who do benefit by obtaining clients are helpful and go out of their way as well.

Its kinda odd to me when I see people griping about how their question went unanswered. Maybe people don't know the answer, maybe the post was missed. Maybe you rubbed someone the wrong way. Maybe the answer is easily findable via search and/or simple research.

Your request to borrow equipment from a total stranger is somewhat unreasonable for various reasons. The fact that no one responded is no indicator of the level of contribution many give here. If there was a chance of someone being able and willing to do this, they probably decided not to now that they've read your follow-ups.

The level of entitlement people feel sometimes amazes me.

Thanks for the reply...

I don't feel I'm "entitled" to anything. I'm just asking if somebody's local that can help me out to do a real quick measurement of my set's MLL. I do realize that I haven't got the thousands of posts here on AVS that some people do-- I've got that many posts on other places, but AVS seems to have the big video-centric crowd so I thought I'd try here.

I haven't been a part of too many threads yet here on AVS, but some of the ones that I have taken part in have seemed to be somewhat 'if you're new here we'll ignore you' .. I may be totally off-base here and that's fine, I'm just speaking of my own experience.

Other threads have been quite the opposite, however, and have been very helpful and friendly indeed. I suppose with the number of users here on AVS that's to be expected to find such a wide gamut of folks though..

If I could just delete this thread and move on, I would. But they don't seem to give you that right here (to delete your own threads)...

cheers,

..dane

1 - 5 of 5 Posts