AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im wanting to replace my current sub(Paradigm PS-1000) with something thats has more punch. My room is around 17'x15.5'.I was looking at the SVS- Ultra 13 and then saw that alot of people are building there own. Where are a few good places to get a good sub and amp from. I was thinking around the 15 in size. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Budget?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace27 /forum/post/14183941

around $1200

Hmm, what fits into that catagory?

Amps:

EP2500. 300 shipped.

LT1300. 350 shipped.

Xti-2000. 600 shipped. (EQ included)

...plus more

EQs:

DEQ2496. 300 shipped.

FBQ2496. 150 shipped.

DSP1124. 120 shipped.

eD's eQ.2 B-stock 65.00 (maybe with shipping)

...and more

Drivers:

SDX-15 (15"). 260 shipped

Maelstrom-x (18") 350 plus shipping.

Tempest-X (15") 185 plus shipping

...And quite a few more.

So you could get the EP2500+FBQ+two SDX-15's for 970.00 (Plus enclosure)

Or, EP2500+FBQ+Maelstom-X for ~850 (plus enclosure)

Or, XTi2000 + Mael-X for ~1000.00 (plus enclosure)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/14184363

Hmm, what fits into that catagory?

Amps:

EP2500. 300 shipped.

LT1300. 350 shipped.

Xti-2000. 600 shipped. (EQ included)

...plus more

EQs:

DEQ2496. 300 shipped.

FBQ2496. 150 shipped.

DSP1124. 120 shipped.

eD's eQ.2 B-stock 65.00 (maybe with shipping)

...and more

Drivers:

SDX-15 (15"). 260 shipped

Maelstrom-x (18") 350 plus shipping.

Tempest-X (15") 185 plus shipping

...And quite a few more.

So you could get the EP2500+FBQ+two SDX-15's for 970.00 (Plus enclosure)

Or, EP2500+FBQ+Maelstom-X for ~850 (plus enclosure)

Or, XTi2000 + Mael-X for ~1000.00 (plus enclosure)

Where would one go to find the B-stock eQ.2? I searched eD's website, eBay, and the web a bit but didn't find anything.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
around $1200

Just a sujective, get you excited kind of post.....

With that budget, you can have a SICK DIY Sub

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/14184428

Where would one go to find the B-stock eQ.2? I searched eD's website, eBay, and the web a bit but didn't find anything.

I am not sure if I can post the link...but go to the icix forums and click on the sounddot link.....then you must register. But they sell it on there for $65 shipped.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I guess you can post a link

·
Registered
438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14184477

Just a sujective, get you excited kind of post.....

With that budget, you can have a SICK DIY Sub

Quoted for truth. $1200 will get you what $3000 won't buy at the store

How is your woodworking?

Have you considered different alignments, ie sealed or ported? There are other "shot in the dark" designs like transmission lines that are unpopular due to their unpredictability and complicated cabinets...

In essence ported harnesses the energy of the backwave produced by the rear of the driver and uses the tuning of the port to enhance the output at certain frequencies, usually where the sub starts to drop in output in the lower most regions of the sound spectrum.

Sealed cabs require a parametric eq unit to do the same as the port but you can change the 'tune' as much or as often as you want. Sealed subs are often reported to sound cleaner without port or air noise, though people who simply stuff a tennis ball into their ported sub will argue this. That's wrong though, as the driver itself has to have a stiffer cone and surround, more motor force and generally be designed with a sealed box in mind. Some drivers work well in either configuration, and some are ideal for ported only.

You can pick a driver and make a cabinet based around that, or vice versa. How big of a box can you hide/show off in your room? Often wives end the best laid plans of mice and men.

If I had twelve hundred bucks to throw at this, I would go with dual 15s in a sealed box with an ep2500 and a Behringer feedback destroyer (you turn off the BFD part, and use it's 24 band PEQ). Elemental Designs has an EQ box for subs and it sells for $65-100. It's only a 2 band, but that's enough in many cases - you're only tuning the 20-50hz range, really... Instead of both you can get the xti amp which already features a 6 band PEQ unit inside, but it will take half your budget righ then and there.

I like having a PEQ like the behringer because you can store multiple filter settings. One for super deep bass, one for night-time, one for punchier region in the 30hz region for music, etc. With a ported box you build it, cross your fingers and fire it up. Then you live with it. Although PVC pipe is a bit cheaper than even the cheapest eD PEQ and there is totally nothing wrong with a well made and designed port... For someone with a bit less of a budget that's about all I could actually advise.

my .02

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replys, I was looking to go with the amp mounted to the sub box and not with a rack mount. The LT-1300 looks like a good one to go with any others out there that would work well? I saw that BASH has a 500w amp looks ok, I dont know anyone who has one. Dual 15s Would be a good way to go. I think a sealed box is what I will build. Now for a sub, not to sure what is out there, and what I can get sent to Canada without costing more to ship than the price of the sub.Sorry I found A sub that looks good it an Audiopulse Revo 15" at Parts express.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I believe PE has a 1000watt plate amp that would work too. Last time I checked eD was out of stock on the 1300's. But that was last month.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace27 /forum/post/14185393

Thanks for the replys, I was looking to go with the amp mounted to the sub box and not with a rack mount. The LT-1300 looks like a good one to go with any others out there that would work well? I saw that BASH has a 500w amp looks ok, I dont know anyone who has one. Dual 15s Would be a good way to go. I think a sealed box is what I will build. Now for a sub, not to sure what is out there, and what I can get sent to Canada without costing more to ship than the price of the sub.

Oh, if you're Canada, check out the SDX-15. It's 250.00 shipped to Canada because it's from a Canadian company, Creative Sound Solutions. They also offer a small package deal (I think) If you buy the LT1300 and SDX-15. I wouldn't use two SDX15's and a single LT1300.
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=SDX15
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=LT1300

Maybe they don't have a package deal.

Another Canadian company worth looking into is Mach5Audio.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
I believe PE has a 1000watt plate amp that would work too.

Chuck did measured thy 1000W dayton amp way below 1000W. Just word of warning, I do own the 1000W dayton amp and I own the LT/1300 from eD...The LT/1300 does have a heck of a lot more output.

I just built a small sealed sub today with my extra TC2000 15" and the LT/1300....it was a fun build in 90 degree, 100 percent humidity

Going to test it tonight.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the links lonneybomber,one more question is it better to go with one 15" or two 12" subs? Penngray be sure to let me know how your sub hammers. too bad about the weather, sure it was worth it however.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Penngray be sure to let me know how your sub hammers. too bad about the weather, sure it was worth it however.

Finished it, thread updated.

No EQing yet so I havent started to get that specific 50Hz to 100Hz dialed in.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace27 /forum/post/14185987

Thanks for the links lonneybomber,one more question is it better to go with one 15" or two 12" subs?

It depends on the drivers. The name of the game is to move as much air as possible and given each driver has similar excursion capabilities (xmax), because the dual 12's have more Sd (surface area), with the like excursion they will also have more Vd (volume displaced). In sealed applications, that's paramount, but in ported applications you can cheat just a tiny bit, though again, there's no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again looney, one more question, have you seen the ported box army has, I think its a SDX15EBS he cslled it. Have you ever heard one. I like the design of it. Still not too sure if I should go ported or sealed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts