AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz 8M L3 Cache 4.8GT/sec QPI Hyper-Threading Turbo Boost LGA1366 Processor

Asus P6T DELUXE V2 Core i7 / Intel X58/ DDR3/ CrossFireX & SLI/ A&2GbE/ ATX Motherboard

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II

Crucial CT2KIT25664BC1067 4GB 204-PIN PC3-8500 SODIMM DDR3 Memory KIT (2GBx2)-2 Of These

EVGA 512-P3-N975-AR e-GeForce 9800 GT 512MB DDR3 PCI-E 2.0 Graphics Card

LG GGW-H20L Super Multi Blue - Blu-ray Disc Burner / HD DVD-ROM Drive w/ Lightscribe - 6x2x6x/3x - Serial ATA - internal - 5.25"

Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard with Backlighting

ASUS EN9400GT/DI/512M(LP) GeForce 9400 GT 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card(NEED THIS FOR MY VIDEO GAME REVIEWS FOR 360 AND PS3)

Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 for Intel LGA 1366 4 Dual Heat-Pipe 120 mm SSO Bearing Quiet CPU Cooler

Cooler Master HAF 932 High Air Flow ATX Full Tower Case Black

CORSAIR 750w TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

i'm not very familiar with a lot of this stuff. i actually don't really even know how to put all of this together once i have it all, but i will make an attempt. is there anything else i need? i won't be gaming on it much, and i will be running video editing applications...

· Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth /forum/post/16849764

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz 8M L3 Cache 4.8GT/sec QPI Hyper-Threading Turbo Boost LGA1366 Processor

Asus P6T DELUXE V2 Core i7 / Intel X58/ DDR3/ CrossFireX & SLI/ A&2GbE/ ATX Motherboard

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II

Crucial CT2KIT25664BC1067 4GB 204-PIN PC3-8500 SODIMM DDR3 Memory KIT (2GBx2)-2 Of These

EVGA 512-P3-N975-AR e-GeForce 9800 GT 512MB DDR3 PCI-E 2.0 Graphics Card

LG GGW-H20L Super Multi Blue - Blu-ray Disc Burner / HD DVD-ROM Drive w/ Lightscribe - 6x2x6x/3x - Serial ATA - internal - 5.25"

Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard with Backlighting

ASUS EN9400GT/DI/512M(LP) GeForce 9400 GT 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card(NEED THIS FOR MY VIDEO GAME REVIEWS FOR 360 AND PS3)

Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 for Intel LGA 1366 4 Dual Heat-Pipe 120 mm SSO Bearing Quiet CPU Cooler

Cooler Master HAF 932 High Air Flow ATX Full Tower Case Black

CORSAIR 750w TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

i'm not very familiar with a lot of this stuff. i actually don't really even know how to put all of this together once i have it all, but i will make an attempt. is there anything else i need? i won't be gaming on it much, and i will be running video editing applications...

Why do you have both a 9800GT & a 9400GT video card in there? Ditch the 9400....no need for a second card if you're not running 4 monitors or PhysX.

· Registered
3,525 Posts
also, I think a 9800GT with a Core i7 is a classic case of an unbalanced system that is overspending on the CPU.

A Core2Quad with a GTX260 or better would be a faster (and cheaper) system overall. Or, you could wait for the i5 platform, which will be out very soon. Should be just as fast as i7 unless you are wanting to run 3 graphics cards or someting...and much cheaper.

Of course, you're not gaming, so it may be sufficient. I will say for your intended application (video editing) you are going to want faster (and probably at least a second) hard drive. Still, I'd say wait for i5 to come out...the i7 is really just a gimped Xeon which offers no real benefit over the i5 unless you need the bandwidth to support 3 graphics cards.

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you believe the i5 will be about the same price? what is the current release date for the i5?

Quote:
Why do you have both a 9800GT & a 9400GT video card in there? Ditch the 9400....no need for a second card if you're not running 4 monitors or PhysX.

as i said, i don't really know too much about these things. i just needed one that had a hdmi input.(360 and PS3 reviews)

· Registered
880 Posts
September for i5. If you can score a $200 i7 from Microcenter it will be cheaper. Rumored i5 prices are starting at $200 for a gimped one and about the same price for one with HT (your gonna want HT if your compressing video). I wouldn't expect P55 mobos to much cheaper since you can get a x58 mobo for under $200 now.

You got the wrong memory. SO-DIMMs are laptop memory. Get one of the triple channel i7 kits. Anything faster than 1333MHZ makes little difference but you should find some 1600MHZ kit for only a couple $ more.

Ditch the sound card if you're not gaming much.

For HDMI input you'll need something else.

Get a bigger drive if your plan on capturing uncompressed HD. 1.5TB Seagate is cheap and all the firmware problems should be in the past.

· Registered
8,713 Posts
good start but ditch the ram, you need ram that will run at 1.65v for a i7 rig. There are lots of 6 gig sets for around $120. OCZ, Corsair, Patriot they all have sets in that price range. I'm partial to corsair, so I'm going to recommend that. I have that board as well as an EVGA sli x58 board and they are both good boards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145242 that is a great set of ram that will work with your board.

If you do plan on getting a sound card that specific one is not to great. I would recommend either a Auzentech forte sound card or an asus xonar card. The Forte is rated as one of the best all around soundcards on the market. I have it and it's Great!! The xonar cards are also very good for music playback. Another good choice would be HT OMEGA Striker 7.1 at $100 it's a great card with very good drivers.

If possible ditch both those Graphics cards and get something more on the lines of a Nvidia 260 max core http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130434

Or if you go with ATI get something along the lines of : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150359 Both great cards and with a little research can probably be found cheaper than that.

I would say other than those, you have picked well and it will be a great system for at least a few years lol

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help guys

but if i want to put my xbox 360 or playstation 3 into my computer via hdmi or vga, what would i need? the graphics card you gave seems nice, but it doesn't have hdmi input.

· Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth /forum/post/16851162

do you believe the i5 will be about the same price? what is the current release date for the i5?

as i said, i don't really know too much about these things. i just needed one that had a hdmi input.(360 and PS3 reviews)

My god, I looked at that 9800GT on Amazon and they want $300 for it? A 9800GT can be had for under $100 (I just got mine from Newegg on sale for $69)...you mention HDMI input but I could find nothing anywhere on EVGA's site mentioning that the card has ANY sort of capture/HDMI input. IT's sketchy if it even has an integrated HDMI output (I'd guess it is a DVI>HDMI dongle). Please for the love of God do NOT buy that card!

· Registered
186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth /forum/post/16851722

thanks for the help guys

but if i want to put my xbox 360 or playstation 3 into my computer via hdmi or vga, what would i need? the graphics card you gave seems nice, but it doesn't have hdmi input.

I would forget about recording hdmi from a ps3 just get an hd-pvr from haupauge (sp)

It uses component video and will record in 1080i or 720p

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/16853405

yes, but it does not support HDCP...and I think a PS3 always has HDCP enabled.

This is true. That card will work for Camcorders & such but will not do HD capture from a Bluray/HD-DVD/PS3/X360.

Here's a quote right from it's technical specifications...

Quote:
For legal reasons, capture devices from Blackmagic Design are designed not to capture, convert or transmit video or audio from copy-protected sources, e.g. video devices using HDCP.

Sorry....

Do like was mentioned above using a HD-PVR & component inputs for HD video. That's pretty much your only option without going to a high cost professional unit & likely paying MPAA/HDCD royalties.

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

· Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth /forum/post/16854471

i'm not but trying to be d!ck but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFMTst8-FzA

for those who won't watch, he has captured gears of war 2 on his xbox 360 perfectly with the card

Not to be a dick, but if you're capable of doing your own research then why ask for others input and help? You may as well add 2 more video cards while you're at it. Okay, maybe I was trying to be a dick.

Read the many forums out there that say the PS3 will NOT always connect to a non-HDCP comliant device (LCD monitor, or in this case, an input capture card). Some say they get it to work, others dont have the same luck. The X360 may connect without HDCP because it doesnt have to deal with an integrated Bluray drive & forced industry HDCP. Buy it and use it at your own risk. You obviously want to ignore the advice that is guaranteed to work in favor of a technology/interface that was designed EXCLUSIVELY for protection from capture/copying of content that passes through it.

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/16855250

Not to be a dick, but if you're capable of doing your own research then why ask for others input and help? You may as well add 2 more video cards while you're at it. Okay, maybe I was trying to be a dick.

Read the many forums out there that say the PS3 will NOT always connect to a non-HDCP comliant device (LCD monitor, or in this case, an input capture card). Some say they get it to work, others dont have the same luck. The X360 may connect without HDCP because it doesnt have to deal with an integrated Bluray drive & forced industry HDCP. Buy it and use it at your own risk. You obviously want to ignore the advice that is guaranteed to work in favor of a technology/interface that was designed EXCLUSIVELY for protection from capture/copying of content that passes through it.

doing your own research doesn't always gurantee the right or wrong answers. don't give me that bs...

i sent the user who made that video a message. received this-"There's no HDCP lock on the Xbox 360 so your good to go with that, PS3 has though so your best to buy the Component cables for the PS3 and use those." so in regards to that, i do appreciate the help for those who mentioned using component. i will have to do so with the ps3.

· Registered
2,189 Posts
Sorry I'll just say it, your idea of recording and running any thing into the pc hdmi is well stupid. End of story. Don't have to believe me, or agree it just is...sorry.

I liked your parts choice I swear you were looking at my earlier thread. Same cpu,cpu cooler, same case with the HAF and same power supply. You just got the video card wrong and the ram like they pointed out.

This ram will save you $50 to put towards a 275 video card or something better.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227365

Other than your crazy fantasy about recording hdmi routed into the pc you did really good. And I don't mean it can't be done, I just mean it's stupid idea from the get go.

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i'm sorry if you feel it's stupid, but i just want to create review videos of 360 and ps3 games. i may go component, and just use the hauppage thing someone mentioned. also, a friend of mine who knows a lot more about comps than myself suggested the AMD HDZ940XCGIBOX Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3.0GHz Cache 8MB AM2+ 125W

he told me for what i wanted to do, and the price, i couldn't go wrong. though he also said if i'm the type to future proof for a few years and get crazy just to do so, i should probably go ahead with the i7. that amd is also quad core, for about one-hundred dollars less. i'm now at a stand still, because i will have to change my motherboard as well.

· Registered
2,189 Posts
Yea so you want the slower cpu and setup for the most demanding thing a pc can do basically in editing video. Doesn't that also drop you down to dual channel ram instead of triple channel, it's not one step backwards it's many. Save 100 or less(I've seen the 920 for $200) and miss out on performance today and tomorrow. Don't think it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.