AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently running 2 Chane Arx A2rx-cs. The plan was always to just add another Chane LCR speaker as a center but that plan never panned out. Now 7 year later Id like to see what else it out there.

The obvious and easy answer would be to simply get another Chane LCR and add that but looking at better center designs Im wondering if that's the best route to go. They claim the a2.4 isnt a conventional MTM speaker but it sure looks like one to me, I am looking for something more like a 3 way center. I was originally gravitating towards SVS prime because their is a 3 way design and looks really nice but Ive see some reports that they are bright and I would like to avoid that, bright is definitely not my thing. I would much prefer something that's not a fatiguing presentation or a more relaxed and laid back presentation.

I am also considering replacing all 3 from speakers if for a bit more than what I paid for the chanes I get an appreciable bump in performance, though I don't think I notice anything lacking with my current speakers. The only thing that is lacking is speech intelligibility in movies and that can definitely be attributed to not using a center speaker. So what would an upgrade look like? Bigger richer sound? I know that's a very broad stroke so I don't know how helpful that is. My current speakers are fine so just better if that's even possible. I like a lively sound, with good bass, nothing too clinical. Clinical sounds flat, clinical sounds boring.

The center is the important part here though, I want a really nice, within my budget center, preferably 3 way and then I can fill in the rest as I go. I was originally thinking of going all SVS for the fronts and that was going to be around 850 dollars. So lets set a preliminary budget for a center at 400 and go from there.

I am currently running a onkyo sr605 which should have enough power for most things in my budget I would imagine. I am looking to upgrade that but it may be until some deals roll in around BF. If I were to upgrade I would probably looking at a Denon in the 6 to 700 dollar range. Either way I doubt Im actually getting a better amp stage than the Onkyo in the price range I would be at and for all intents and purposes it could be worse powerwise at least.

The setup is currently in a room that's about 15 deep and 10 ft wide but eventually it will all be moved to a dedicated watching area in the basement, though the size probably wont change al that much.

is that enough information?

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Emotiva Arimotiv C2+: Airmotiv C2+ Center Channel Loudspeaker
Likely the closest match for your mains in a 3-way design - especially at that budget. I haven't heard anyone outright complaining about the A2.4 as a centre.

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi,

Save up and get an actual upgrade, not just a lateral move by adding a similar tier speaker as a center at this point. If it's all about the center, go big and you only end up doing this once instead of over and over.

Very best,

·
Registered
24,201 Posts
Another vote for the C2+ from Emotiva...worth waiting a few weeks for it to come back in stock.

I have the A2.4 as a center with a pair of JBL Studio 570s, zero issues with "matching" --- I have no complaints about it, never had, but it was a gift after all and if I didn't have it I would also opt for a 3 way center especially one at/near the same cost. Previously I had a front stage of Emotiva B1+ with their smaller 3-way center the C1+ and loved them, only sold them at the time because I had too many speakers. In highly unscientific retrospect, fwiw I slightly preferred the more grounded sound of the C1+ even though the A2.4 does play larger and louder due to its ported design.

I am currently running 2 Chane Arx A2rx-cs. The plan was always to just add another Chane LCR speaker as a center but that plan never panned out. Now 7 year later Id like to see what else it out there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Save up and get an actual upgrade, not just a lateral move by adding a similar tier speaker as a center at this point. If it's all about the center, go big and you only end up doing this once instead of over and over.

Very best,
Its not really about saving up I could buy that now if I wanted to its just the 800 to a thousand total for everything is about all Im willing to spend on this venture. There is a law of diminishing returns that kicks in at some point, Im not really sure where that is with speakers but thats a lot of cheddar to put into a system. I get what you are saying, I just dont think Im prepared to go that big yet if ever honestly.

Another vote for the C2+ from Emotiva...worth waiting a few weeks for it to come back in stock.

I have the A2.4 as a center with a pair of JBL Studio 570s, zero issues with "matching" --- I have no complaints about it, never had, but it was a gift after all and if I didn't have it I would also opt for a 3 way center especially one at/near the same cost. Previously I had a front stage of Emotiva B1+ with their smaller 3-way center the C1+ and loved them, only sold them at the time because I had too many speakers. In highly unscientific retrospect, fwiw I slightly preferred the more grounded sound of the C1+ even though the A2.4 does play larger and louder due to its ported design.
Yeah Im definitely not married to the Chane line, I got them when I did because they represented a good value in the price range I was in at the moment.

My only concern with the emotivas is the 4 ohm impedance. Im sure the Onkyo will run them but it already runs on the warm side so im not sure how much its going to like pulling that kind of power all the time. Also amps nowadays are probably even worse in the amplifier section then they were back then with all the extra stuff they have to stuff into them now so I would be concerned with marginal heatsinks in current budget to midrange amps. Should I be?

·
Registered
24,201 Posts
My only concern with the emotivas is the 4 ohm impedance. Im sure the Onkyo will run them but it already runs on the warm side so im not sure how much its going to like pulling that kind of power all the time. Also amps nowadays are probably even worse in the amplifier section then they were back then with all the extra stuff they have to stuff into them now so I would be concerned with marginal heatsinks in current budget to midrange amps. Should I be?
naw, that's just Emotiva's way of nudging you to buy one of their (reputedly excellent) external amps. Most other speaker companies which DON'T also happen to sell not-cheap external amps would fudge their impedance numbers to at least 6 ohms.

I used the C1 with a 15 year old $230 Panasonic receiver rated only down to 6 ohms and had zero problems...it didn't even get warm.

Here are two other members' experience powering their T1+ with a basic AVR:

T1+ and C2+ powered by Denon S710 to 92db levels:

T2+ and C1+ powered by $400 Onkyo to 85db levels:

B1+ and C2+ powered by Denon x3600 and entry level 75 watt receiver:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess then there always has to be "that guy"

If you are going to try to recommend a center that's over 3 times my budget and nearly as much as Im going to spend on all of my speakers combined, at least give me a reason why.

·
Registered
11,525 Posts
Why not just purchase the A2.4? That is the logical choice with your current set-up. The need for a 3-way center is based on the argument that there will be combing in a standard MTM configuration, yet no one has mentioned this when discussing the A2.4. Try it first and see if you have any issues, then move on if you decide that it is not the right choice. You won't have any problem selling the three speaker set, if you decide to move on from Chane.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I guess then there always has to be "that guy"

If you are going to try to recommend a center that's over 3 times my budget and nearly as much as Im going to spend on all of my speakers combined, at least give me a reason why.
Sorry I missed your budget while going through your dissertation above.

·
Registered
34 Posts

The obvious and easy answer would be to simply get another Chane LCR and add that but looking at better center designs Im wondering if that's the best route to go. They claim the a2.4 isnt a conventional MTM speaker but it sure looks like one to me, I am looking for something more like a 3 way center. I was originally gravitating towards SVS prime because their is a 3 way design and looks really nice but Ive see some reports that they are bright and I would like to avoid that, bright is definitely not my thing. I would much prefer something that's not a fatiguing presentation or a more relaxed and laid back presentation.

I am also considering replacing all 3 from speakers if for a bit more than what I paid for the chanes I get an appreciable bump in performance, though I don't think I notice anything lacking with my current speakers. The only thing that is lacking is speech intelligibility in movies and that can definitely be attributed to not using a center speaker. So what would an upgrade look like? Bigger richer sound? I know that's a very broad stroke so I don't know how helpful that is. My current speakers are fine so just better if that's even possible. I like a lively sound, with good bass, nothing too clinical. Clinical sounds flat, clinical sounds boring.

The center is the important part here though, I want a really nice, within my budget center, preferably 3 way and then I can fill in the rest as I go. I was originally thinking of going all SVS for the fronts and that was going to be around 850 dollars. So lets set a preliminary budget for a center at 400 and go from there.

I am currently running a onkyo sr605 which should have enough power for most things in my budget I would imagine. I am looking to upgrade that but it may be until some deals roll in around BF. If I were to upgrade I would probably looking at a Denon in the 6 to 700 dollar range. Either way I doubt Im actually getting a better amp stage than the Onkyo in the price range I would be at and for all intents and purposes it could be worse powerwise at least.

The setup is currently in a room that's about 15 deep and 10 ft wide but eventually it will all be moved to a dedicated watching area in the basement, though the size probably wont change al that much.

is that enough information?
I got a used Def Tech CS9080 for $400 on eBay. Made a big difference in dialogue clarity. The powered integrated sub really gives movies an added element.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,843 Posts
You've gotten good recs, and you are on the right track with a 3 way:
Emotiva C1+
Emotiva C2+
Infinity RC263

If you are ruling out the SVS, i think these are your choices under $500.

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
3,584 Posts

·
Audio Pack Rat
374 Posts
Sorry I missed your budget while going through your dissertation above.
He also said something about not wanting anything on the bright side as well.

·
Registered
11,242 Posts
Another 3-way center <$400 that gets good reviews is the THX Certified Ultra Monoprice THX-365C currently in stock and on sale for $50 off msrp. Per THX:

THX Certified Ultra products bring the cinematic experience to larger home theaters, 3,000 cubic feet in size, with a viewing distance of 12 feet or greater from the screen.

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
3,584 Posts
There is no "ROI" for items like speakers. Value? Sure, but that is an individual assessment.
Ok, less value, performance, output, extension for the dollar spent. I was trying to spin it a bit different so it wasn't so negative sounding. There is a large component to the cost structure that involves the "free" returns, and the "free" upgrades, as well as the "massive" advertising budgets and the huge support department. All of those items are a positive, but they are far from "free".

Reactions: sigpig and Zorba922
1 - 20 of 54 Posts