AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a 25' Toslink Optical/Digital cable for connecting my DVD player to my Reciever and also a 25' Digital Coaxial cable from my Computer's Sound to my reciever.

I would like Quality cables that will deliver very good sound, but I cant justify spending $100-200+/per cable or something like that. I used to spend a fortune on cabling but now that I realize I can even get great sound from the absolutely crappy cable I am running currently (but want to replace) from radioshack that I dont feel I need to blow several hundred dollars on these cables.

For what its worth I am running Paradigm speakers all around (Studio 60 V.3s, Studio CC-470 V.3, and 4 monitor series speakers for my rear stage) I am using a Denon AVR-3801 receiver and a Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD player. The Audio on my computer is onboard built into my Asus motherboard with a Digital Coaxial / SPDIF connection.

For the Digital Coaxial cable I was considering the Silver Serpent cables from "Bettercables.com" but if I can save a few more bucks and get a hig quality cable instead of that one Id like to know where to look.

As for the Toslink/Optical I have no idea where I should look, I found some very inexpensive 25' Toslink cables @ "mycableshop.com" but I was not sure how good of quality they are... I know generally you need to be an absolute fanatic (I am, but recently a fanatic on a budget lol) to tell the difference between a good cable and an extremely high end cable, most people I dont think can really hear the difference.

I would like a good blend of Quality & Value, if anyone can recommend a website for me to find this for my 2 cable purchases I would greatly appreciate it.

Just to prove to myself that I can get decent sound, I am running the white side of a 25' EXTREMELY cheap analog audio cable from my SPDIF output to the Digital Coaxial input on my Denon (im talking like a $10 old school skinny RCA cable, I am getting a digital signal through this cable, at least my Denon says I am) and it sounds very very good (probably because the speakers are extremely good speakers, and my source material is good)

The speakers actually sound "incredible" even with this absolute crap cable :eek:

So anyway, some good Value + HQ cables if you can help me out!

I may be able to get away with 20' lengths but that is cutting it very close... I am running Monster THX twisted pair speaker cable to all my speakers so I figured since I have some halfway decent speaker cable I might as well get rid of this terrible audio cable that I switch back and forth from PC to DVD player when I switch sources (only long cable I have available)

Thanks a lot...

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
A fanatic is one who is willing to delude himself in pursuit of his passion.

Buy the cheap cable, then hide it behind the gear. No one will be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really gotta admit everything sounds GREAT with this pathetic cable im running... im sure I can get a little bit of a noticeable gain in quality over THIS cable, but I dont think I would hear any difference over say a $70 cable and a $300 cable...

I can't believe I saw a $450 3meter Toslink cable and a $650 3meter Component video cable today while searching the web for cables, that right they I just cant imagine... they were some high end Audioquest cables, INSANE I gotta say.

I have some really nice cables throughout my system (that I purchased some time ago) but Im on more of a budget now a days. I feel you are correct though, as long as I get a nice, decent quality cable I dont think there is gonna be any NIGHT/DAY difference between that and a cable that I spend $40/ft on... maybe if my ears were the ears of god or something without any kind of flaw in them :D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can only find a maximum of 15' length in digital coaxial from markertek... I already ordered the Toslink cable elsewhere for a good price, im just focued on the digital coax cable now... maybe I just overlooked anything long than 15' on there, ill keep searching.

I thought I had found my cable but the place isnt currently operating because of some hurricane, I had the cable in my cart and everything ready to check out :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
For all my long-run digital coax I use plain-jane RG-6 (pre-terminated from home depot or wherever) with the F->RCA adapters on each end. Great performance, low price.

For that long in toslink/optical, go to froogle.com and enter 'toslink 25ft'.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooshda
I can only find a maximum of 15' length in digital coaxial from markertek... I already ordered the Toslink cable elsewhere for a good price, im just focued on the digital coax cable now... maybe I just overlooked anything long than 15' on there, ill keep searching.

I thought I had found my cable but the place isnt currently operating because of some hurricane, I had the cable in my cart and everything ready to check out :rolleyes:
ANY video cable will work just fine. The one with the yellow ends. It is the same stuff as "digital" cable, which is merely a marketing term anyway. It's digital. If the bits get there, you have music. If they dont, you dont have music. A $1000 cable will sound no better than a $10 cable.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooshda

Oh in that case just build your own or go to wal mart or the shack and get one premade. It does not have to be specified digital.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.