AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new TV, but I want to find out more about them and which one is right for me.

I use to have a Samsung DLP "it's dead now".
"most likely to stay away from Samsung TV's". It worked for 4 years. Not to bad "3000 though".

Most of the time I will use this TV for Gaming#1,Watching TV#2 and Movies#3.

Looking for a TV that will have Long Life, and at a good price.

How long will the my Plasma last before I start seeing that the color faded?

from since when I purchased it.

I want to know more about the white Pixes problems to, and if this happens a lot to the Plasmas.

Some people have told me the Plasma's have fixed the burn in, is that true?

Are there any problems with the Plasma's?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can still burn in a plasma if you abuse it.

How do you know your DLP is completely dead? 3000 hours sounds about right for the bulb to go out, have you tried replacing the light bulb in it?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Plasma is no more susceptible to burn in than anything else. You'll Never notice any "fading" either.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoJirO /forum/post/18286225

.. Most of the time I will use this TV for Gaming#1,Watching TV#2 and Movies#3.

Looking for a TV that will have Long Life, and at a good price.

.. price budget please, plus seating distance to set; prefer 720p or 1080p.

Quote:

How long will the my Plasma last before I start seeing that the color faded?

.. standard quoted for plasma's today is 100k hours till 'half-life'.

Quote:

I want to know more about the white Pixes problems to, and if this happens a lot to the Plasmas.

.. not heard of this.

Quote:

Some people have told me the Plasma's have fixed the burn in, is that true?

.. yes, if you don't overdo the first ~100/200hrs of break-in with games and/or other excesses, such as rolling banners, 4:3 format/sidebars, etc.

Quote:

Are there any problems with the Plasma's?

.. more company and/or friends stopping by.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendude /forum/post/18286260

How do you know your DLP is completely dead? 3000 hours sounds about right for the bulb to go out, have you tried replacing the light bulb in it?

Before It broke I had green lines everywhere on my screen "Green Screen of Death", couldn't see anything. And now it wont turn on anymore. I was told my Motherboard is bad, and would cost me 500+ to replace.

daniel'son

Quote:
yes, if you don't overdo the first ~100/200hrs of break-in with games and/or other excesses, such as rolling banners, 4:3 format/sidebars, etc.

what should I do to avoid doing that? how should I be watching or playing? Hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoJirO View Post

What I meant to say was about the dead Pixes

·
Registered
11,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoJirO /forum/post/18290898

Before It broke I had green lines everywhere on my screen "Green Screen of Death", couldn't see anything. And now it wont turn on anymore. I was told my Motherboard is bad, and would cost me 500+ to replace.

daniel'son

what should I do to avoid doing that? how should I be watching or playing? Hours?

What I meant to say was about the dead Pixes

Sounds like what happened to my Samsung last summer. Never again will i buy from Samsung.

Normal watching should be all you need to do. In other words, just mix it up and you will be fine.

Dead pixel problem is not a big issue with plasmas. You may have a few, but in most cases you can't even see them.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
"what should I do to avoid doing that? how should I be watching or playing? Hours?"

^^ .. what he (wxman) said, at least partly; if you watch 4:3 formatted material extensively, use the set's "Zoom" feature to expand picture to fit screen. will not look nice, but in the first several hours of watching, its been mentioned the entire screen needs to be 'energized'. regarding game play; temper your use to minimual use (~1 or 2 hrs) until your use builds & then set 'should' be able to handle extended play without IR (image retention; i.e. HUD displays, etc.). same for the rolling banners on sports banners, wallstreet stock tickers, etc. Station logo's don't seem to be a huge influence since they have commercials every 5 min's or so.

Again, vary your station viewing for the first couple or so '00's hours.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I too am in a similar position so I'm really interested in the responses to the original poster.

In my case, I'm sitting about 12' from the screen and my budget is $2500.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen28 /forum/post/18291683

I too am in a similar position so I'm really interested in the responses to the original poster.

In my case, I'm sitting about 12' from the screen and my budget is $2500.

.. my seating distance is ~ 12-13ft & if given the opportunity to do over, I would have chosen 'at least' a 58" (had same budget).

probably would have chosen the Panasonic 58S1, Samsung 58B650 or 58B860; most likely would have been a Panasonic Pro version, 58PF12U, do not care for all the bells/gadgets/widgets/etc on today's consumer models.
add: Panasonic 58V10 (consumer model), Panasonic 58S2 (2010 consumer)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ah... one other point to make as life is a compromise. In the interest of high Wife Acceptance Factor, a slim profile is a must.

The LEDs look very cool but I'm still not sold on the image quality. Given that I currently have a SONY 46" LCD which I really love but I'm always impressed by what the plasmas offer.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
^^ .. the Samsung 58B860 (believe) has the slim profile; it seems to get good feedback here. have not heard any routine problems on the Forum. prob. the best out of the lot. also, (fwiw) consumer's reports had it near the top on their list of > 50" plasma's.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
^^ .. you can check-out wall mounts frm Forum sponsor Monoprice (very reasonable), or chose the Peerless mount ST-660 or ST-670 (tilt-mount) or their SF-660 or SF-670 (flat-mount); flat mounts should have connections (HDMI, etc.) in place prior to mount .. very little clearance once unit is mounted. i have the Peerless ST-670 & its a very fine/well made tilt mount/good price also.

add: Monoprice recently had their server (supposedly) hacked, so would wait awhile if chosing to order from them; something mentioned regarding CC #s and/or PayPal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts