AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months and months of research and paralysis by analysis I'm ready to take the plunge into my first plasma. I can't thank you all enough for sharing your passion and knowledge with us rookies.

I'm going to buy it online and I'd prefer to purchase from one of the companies that supports this forum and community. I believe in supporting those that support you. Specifically I'd like to purchase it from one of the reps I've seen around here.

I'd greatly appreciate some recommendations of reps that you've all dealt with that are committed to quality service, support and who frequent the forum.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience with us.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i can highly recommend TVA... i worked with arron over there on the purchase of a pio 5050 and he was great.

·
Banned
314 Posts
well its tough, EVERY SINGLE one of them have complaints against them

AND every single one of them have good comments as well

Its hard to say which is best.... Personally I would never buy from any of them because I can find the same tv's cheaper at other places

However you feel that you want to support them because it supports AVS.....

On the other hand if you want to support AVS, you could become a paid member here and buy your tv elsewhere

I would do some really good research, perhaps check out...

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller6574.html thats TVA'S ratings.... and just enter in anyone else you want to research

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I haven't bought anything from TVA yet, but I emailed them and spoke on the phone with Kin about a fairly unusual request. He was really, really helpful and he's going to email me back when he gets the new XBR models in and give me more information.

The question I asked was regarding PAL compatibility. Most other stores would have looked in the manual, saw no mention, and told me no. TVA seems to go the extra mile. If all goes well, I'll be buying from them.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just did, and I'm quite pleased with the transaction. Of course, I bought a 7UY about 10 days before the 8UK became available, but ... what the heck. TVA will probably get my business in the future, too. I'm not really one of those "I'll buy from Costco, and then take it back when something better comes along" kind of guys. - Pat

·
Registered
79 Posts
On August 2, I took the plunge and bought a Panny 42PX500U.

I was very nervous about where to purchase the unit. Online retailers can be jerks about returns and big box stores are expensive. TV Authority has good prices, but I was especially intrigued when I discovered they have a small store in Santa Monica, which is where I live.

I walked in and talked to Ryan. The price he quoted on the 500U was internet-low, very competitive. But the kicker was, when I told him I was on the forum, he rolled out the red carpet. It was like being a member of the Stonecutters. I walked out very pleased. I didn't expect the buying experience to be so pleasurable, since I've been losing sleep over where to purchase this very expensive item.

Of course, I haven't received the plasma yet. It's trucking it's way over here. So I can't speak to any other aspect of their service, other than the actual purchase. But in that respect, I was very happy and would recommend them wholeheartedly.

So now, for the next few days, until the TV is delivered, I get to sweat over whether my unit will feature green faces and a dozen dead pixels!

·
Registered
781 Posts
lyris -

I find your comments about your conversation with TVAuthority interesting because I phoned them last week & was told they will not be selling the new KLV or KDL models.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
On August 2, I took the plunge and bought a Panny 42PX500U.

n. The price he quoted on the 500U was internet-low, very competitive. But the kicker was, when I told him I was on the forum, he rolled out the red carpet. It was like being a member of the Stonecutters.!
nice reference, i LOL'd

i live on the westside too and if TVA is really that competitive -- as in, "internet competitive" -- in their prices, i'll consider them when i pull the trigger next month.

..but now i got that damn stonecutters song in my head....

·
Registered
408 Posts
Lyris and Forrest,

I'm dead-set on the new 40" XBR LCD (I've had a 37" PX50U but returned it). I emailed TVA last week about whether they'd have them, and I think Kin thought I was talking about a new RP set. I emailed him back, but never received a response.

I would love to buy one from TVA. With an MSRP of $3,499, what price will you be trying to target when it's released?

For my myself, I'm hoping I can get it for around $3K shipped or at CC/BB for maybe $100 more after tax.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Bleed -

Actually, I don't need the KDL because I don't need the built-in tuner; I'm looking at it only because, like you, I like the 40" size. If I can get it for $3K I would be happy.

I have phoned TVA on a couple of occasions and the people I spoke with were very nice. However, I think they are not interested in selling Sony because they offer only a handful of models, as viewed on their website. They haven't even stocked last year's nontuner model - KLV32M1 - which as been a fairly popular tv. Conversely, if I were interested in buying a Panasonic, that's where I'd go.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i was gonna do the same..since there cheaper online to begin with..but i'm pretty anal about defects and flaws..and shipping back a plasma if it had a defect is a pita..i bought my xbr online and it was delivered in a vodka truck..the guy left it in my yard..because he couldnt lift it lol...i had to call a buddy to help me bring it in the house..thank god it was fine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.