• Samsung PN42B450

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please post model)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be moving into my new place here in the next 2 weeks, and am looking to buy a new TV as well. Let me give you a brief run down of what I will be doing with the TV.

I am going to be connecting a COMCAST Cable box for HD content. I thought about going with a HTPC instead, but things like HULU I just feel won't allow me to watch everything I want. I also want other people to be able to use the TV and not be confused on what to do.

I will also have my Xbox 360 hooked up to the TV, mostly use it to stream Netflix, watch the occasional DVD, and play a few games here and there.

Next, I want to be able to connect my MacBook Pro to the display, via MiniDisplay Port to HDMI or VGA or whatever connection is on the TV.

I am going to be ripping bluray movies via an external drive to an external HDD that will be connected to my network. I will then play the movies by connecting my MBP to the TV. I will be waiting until around September to see if Apple releases an update to the apple tv to do 1080p and if they don't, I will probably buy a mac mini so that I can have a dedicated device rather than always having to hook up my MBP. This will also allow me to stream my pics and music to the living room without any problems.

I will also be purchasing a Harmony remote. I have been looking at the Harmony 670 because I can get one from Best Buy for $79. If anyone has any input or advice on other better or cheaper remotes that will do what this one does, I would appreciate it.

So based on the above, the main 2 TV's I'm looking at are the Samsung LN40B530 vs PN42B450.

I'm not sure if 1080p is worth $100 more, while loosing 2" of screen and also going to LCD rather than Plasma. Will I see a better picture because it's 1080p, or not. I'm really looking to stay around the $700-$800 range if I can. I'm looking for the TV to be "future proofed" enough to last me around 4 years before I have to upgrade again.

Which TV would you guys pick. Or if there are other TV's, which one would you guys go with. Thanks!

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Welcome to avs forums, the first thing im going to point out resolutions is the last factor to consider when getting a tv. so i think you should get a plasma version even if its 720p over the lcd with 1080p in a heartbeat.

Also while samsung is good pansonic is better in TIR and as far as other factors they are things here and there one brand holds over the other.

for resolution to work out you need Source (blu rays are 100% 1080p) games are not very little and few content is in 1080p (with low bit rate) think directv, not so sure about cable. (cable in general is inferior to satelite.)

once you got your source you got to work on screen size which depends on how far or close you are going to be in from your seat to your tv this is going to be affected by the distance.

also what is the goal and or max amount of cash you want or can spend in a tv/s?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I can't go with Dish because the apartment complex won't let me have a sat unless I'm on the north side of the building, plus it's more expensive because I can get cable for cheaper, plus if I bundle it I can get Comcast Internet for $19.99 /mo which is a lot cheaper than any other option. I know that most content is not in 1080p, and in general a plasma is going to have better pq, so I think I'm better off with the plasma. I don't think I'm going to buy a dedicated bluray player until they come down in price a little, but I can get an external for $75 and just rip them all to an external HDD and stream them to my tv. I want to rip them all at 1080p, but unless the apple tv supports it in the next update, I'm either going to have to buy a dedicated HTPC to get the 1080p content, or I'm going to have to reencode at 720p to stream to the apple tv, which is much cheaper.

So basically, if I get the 720p plasma, is it going to make a difference in whether i encode the blurays at 720p vs 1080p? I also would rather not spend days re ripping the movies in 4 years if I decide to get a nicer 1080p set after college. So am I going to regret ripping in 720p if I switch to a 1080p display in a few years?

And my budget would preferably be to stay in the 7-800 range. I could spend more if it would really be worth it, but I have other things I could spend my money. I have about 3k to spend, but it needs to be split between an external HDD, external bluray player, tv, cables, and a couch/ coffee table, so I can cut some money here and there to spend more on the tv, but i'm not going to spend much more than 1k.

Thanks

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Ok you got alot of things you want to get and have a budget, work One thing at a time so you can get quality and do it right once.

for your blu ray get a ps3 hands down the best blu ray/dvd player second im not trying to sound rude but at a sub $1k range for a flat screen? go to costco get the 42" panasonic plasma call it a day and in the future when you have more funds to upgrade you will be able to get a better tv at or close to your current price.

Unless you have a pioneer plasma chances are most people are going to replace their tv set sooner then later just because the general brands of tv improve every time.

dont focus on 1080p.

Last not trying to be rude again but cheap and quality doesnt go well too often so im not going to add much to the cable vs satelite but if it was an option get a grip and pay for quality dont cheap out.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 /forum/post/16896076

Ok you got alot of things you want to get and have a budget, work One thing at a time so you can get quality and do it right once.

for your blu ray get a ps3 hands down the best blu ray/dvd player second im not trying to sound rude but at a sub $1k range for a flat screen? go to costco get the 42" panasonic plasma call it a day and in the future when you have more funds to upgrade you will be able to get a better tv at or close to your current price.

Unless you have a pioneer plasma chances are most people are going to replace their tv set sooner then later just because the general brands of tv improve every time.

dont focus on 1080p.

Last not trying to be rude again but cheap and quality doesnt go well too often so im not going to add much to the cable vs satelite but if it was an option get a grip and pay for quality dont cheap out.

I am not expecting to get the highest quality stuff, but I need to buy these things when I move out, so I'd like to get the best I can afford. I'd rather have a decent tv than no tv at all. I can't just buy one thing, and spend all of my money on a tv, because I will have no couch to sit on. There are many tv's for under 1k that I think will fit my needs just fine. I'm not looking to build the nicest home theater set up. I just need a decent tv that will allow me to watch hd content and play video games for the next 3-4 years while I'm in college. After that I can build the theater set up I want. As far as sat vs cable, I really don't think it's going to matter. What is going to make sat so much better that I should spend twice the ammount on it?

· Registered
2,720 Posts
just get a few things at a time thats all im saying, i already told you what to get as far as a screen goes a plasma brand panasonic over samsung, the best one you can afford. as far as the sat vs cable cable is POS compared to sat i can go on to explain but i take it you have not seen sat service before have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxburt0nxx /forum/post/16896485

I am not expecting to get the highest quality stuff, but I need to buy these things when I move out, so I'd like to get the best I can afford. I'd rather have a decent tv than no tv at all. I can't just buy one thing, and spend all of my money on a tv, because I will have no couch to sit on. There are many tv's for under 1k that I think will fit my needs just fine. I'm not looking to build the nicest home theater set up. I just need a decent tv that will allow me to watch hd content and play video games for the next 3-4 years while I'm in college. After that I can build the theater set up I want. As far as sat vs cable, I really don't think it's going to matter. What is going to make sat so much better that I should spend twice the ammount on it?

· Registered
362 Posts
Get either the 42X1 or 50X1 panny plasma, can't go wrong there for a budget system, the 50" can be had for under $800 if you shop around. In the 40" range there is no reason to go 1080, you won't see the difference. Even at 50 you will have to look hard. The X1's are outstanding performers, especially with d-Nice's offsets applied ( read the forum...).

The plasmas have the LCDs beat by a large margin in terms of motion and viewing angle, and with the offsets applied it looks like a set costing 3-4 times as much.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 /forum/post/16897601

just get a few things at a time thats all im saying, i already told you what to get as far as a screen goes a plasma brand panasonic over samsung, the best one you can afford. as far as the sat vs cable cable is POS compared to sat i can go on to explain but i take it you have not seen sat service before have you?

both are the same to me... both tend to have cut outs and lag or choppy pictures ocasionally, but I've never really seen a problem with HD cable. I guess if you could elaborate, because I was looking at Dish after you posted this and I can get HD + DVR for like $40 a mo. The thing that is keeping me from doing it is I REFUSE to use DSL. DSL sucks compared to broadband, and neither dish nor directv offer broadband from what I can find on their sites. I guess I could do comcast internet and then Dish tv. I was looking at directv, but it just seems to be $20-30 more expensive than dish and it had pretty much the same channels.

I think I'm gonna look around for the panny plasma and probably get that.

· Registered
2,720 Posts
I have Directv since i was living with my parents so im satisfied to say the least. directv has the most hd channels available for only $9.99(i think 130 hd channels so far) add to any pakg you choose, pakgs starting at $29.99

the hd channels will be based on the pakg you choose and it has 5.1 surround sound and Directv on demand gives you 1080p movies.

Free pro install. free equipment hd receivers or hd/dvr depending on promo and such

best customer service for the past 9 years or so (use google look up directv)

good luck read. as far as dsl vs other internet i wont touch that area.

Ps : PQ wise fios and uverse should be better but very expensive.

sat will be enough!
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conten...hat_is_directv

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conten...tv/competition

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/hd/overview

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when i configure a directv package I have to go with the 200 channel one to get a lot of HD channels (and it still isn't all 130 or whatever) and the total comes to like $75 /mo. not including any taxes or equipment fees (if applicable).

The $29 plan only includes the following HD channels, and you have to pay $10 extra a month for them:

AMILY

Food Network HD

HGTV HD

National Geographic Channel HD

The Science Channel HD

The Weather Channel HD

So you get a handful of HD channels for $40 /mo.

With Dish I would be able to get the same channels as the $75 package with DirecTV, but it would only cost me $40 /mo., with a $99 set up fee. And I can sign a 2 year contract that lowers the payment to $19.99 /mo for the first 6 mos. or something like that (but I probably won't do that)

I'm going to look into verizon FiOS and ATT Uverse right now. Might be able to get some kind of bundle discount because I'm with ATT and my parents use Verizon.

-EDIT- Just checked, and FiOS and Uverse are not available in my area. Right now I think I'm leaning towards the Panasonic tc-p42-x1, unless I can find the 50-x1 on sale. People have been saying they had it at best buy and sears for $699 last week, but the cheapest I can find right now is $850ish, so If I see it go on sale again, I'll snag the 50, otherwise I'll settle for the 42. As far as cable I'm probably going to go with Dish Network. Would you say that's better than cable? I would go DirecTV, but I'm still in college and can't really afford to spend $75-$100 just for cable every month when I can get it for cheaper, perhaps just not as great of quality or customer service.

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Yes dish is better Picture Quality then cable by far, as far as Customer service i'd say its about the same as cable or slightly better.

as far as the directv goes, its all a matter of negociating at the time of asking for service.

i get atleast $25 discount off every month. Note i just got directv on My account on my own, i've had directv with my parents thus i know how good it is but i just started my own service.

do you watch english pakg only or spanish as well? reason i say is because the spanish pkg that is $48 gives you alot of english channels along with HD channels.

i dont know why but the spanish pkgs customers get more english then the english pkgs customers.

good choice on tv good luck finding the right price. and post what location you are. that way we can recommend to where to contact sponsers.

Roman O is in south ca great guy Robert @ ve is also great among other forum member sponsers, ask for prices

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, sounds like I'm gonna go with DISH then, I found a coupon code online to get cinemax for 1 year for $.01, free instalation, and $30 off the first month and then you get HBO and Starz for 3 mos for free, which I don't really care about, but I'll take it for free.

And I only watch English TV, don't speak any other languages.

And hopefully I'll be able to find the 50x1 for the price I want, but if I can't within the next 2 weeks I'll just spring for the 42x1 which I can get for

· Registered
2,720 Posts
sponsers give great discount rather then going to the big stores like BB. if i were you i would try to see if directv is willing to play ball from the start and if the take you on a offer discount or you can let them know you are going to dish, they want customers so if you are asking for a reasonable discount they will budge (i got a combo of $70) or so and pay $44.99

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 /forum/post/16908398

sponsers give great discount rather then going to the big stores like BB. if i were you i would try to see if directv is willing to play ball from the start and if the take you on a offer discount or you can let them know you are going to dish, they want customers so if you are asking for a reasonable discount they will budge (i got a combo of $70) or so and pay $44.99

ok, i'll try giving them a call and seeing what rates i can get. Do you know any sponsors in Denver or any that would be willing to ship to denver?

· Registered
4,540 Posts
I just got a pn42b450 that I'm very happy with. Resolution is not a problem. There shouldn't be any problem playing 1080p sources, since the TV will downconvert to the internal resolution it needs. (I confess I haven't actually tried that with the b450, but I did with the previous generation a450, and it worked fine.)

· Registered
2,720 Posts
No I don't know anyone in colorado ask roman O if he ships ask him what prices he would work with you, say gus738 recomendation. look on this website at the links and make phone calls.

Dont pin each them on the board or say what prices they are giving you, just be simple and see what you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxburt0nxx /forum/post/16908479

ok, i'll try giving them a call and seeing what rates i can get. Do you know any sponsors in Denver or any that would be willing to ship to denver?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.