AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I am looking to upgrade my home theatre. Currently I have a Denon 1800 receiver with infinity sattelite speakers and a infinity sub. My room is 15x13.. I live in a townhouse and have vaulted celings so everythign in there sounds a little bright. I was looking at B & W Speakers and I really liek the,. I went to a local dealer and he told me tto try out paradagms. Also I am lookign to buy a new sub and its between the velodyne, The Paradigm PDR Series or PW Series. and HSU stf series or vtf. What do you guys recommend. Yes I know you have axiom speakers and Ascend that are available online but my thing is I want to be able to audition speakers and listen to them to my self. I was lookign at the Paradigm mini monitors. What do you guys think I shoudl do about the sub and speakers. By the way I am sick of my sattelites.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Well, the HSU VTF-3R can be had for $850 for AVS forum members, and that is a hell of a sub.

The only Paradigm sub that is comparable to a HSU VTF-3 is the Servo-15.

I own 2 HSU TN1220HO subs, and heartily recommend them as they are inexpensive and among the very top in performance (extension, SPL, accuracy).

Sorny

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i am looking to spend less than 500 dollars that is my budget for a sub so right now its between hsu stf 2 or vtf 2 which are the 10 inch models. Also i am lookign at the paradigm pdr 12 and maybe the ps model thats a 10 inch drivr. Another sub is the velodyne 10 inch. As my mains I have about 400 dollars to spend for them and my center roughly about 350 dollars max.. Can anyone else help out here. I value everyones opinion

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
damn its really hard to find help in here now days. I want to buy new speakers but i want to be very well informed on what im buying. I do not want to make a mistalke

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Eddy,

I would recommend HSU for the subs. You cannot beat them for the price - the best you could possibly hope to do is equal them, so why risk it with another brand? As for the speakers, personal preference matters a lot. For lower price points, I have preferred Phase Technology. Their new Velocity line would fit in great with what you are looking for, or you could even pick up some of their older Teatro's, which are very similar to the Velocity line.

As for not wanting to make a mistake, well, we all make mistakes in life. Even experts here probably have closets full of equipment that would classify as a mistake. Still, Phase Tech and HSU are pretty safe bets.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
The Paradigms offer good value for the money. The B&W's are very nice speakers but tend to like a lot of power/current/control to really sound their best. Not that the Denon is bad mind you.

See if you can take a pair home and check them out. If not, take your receiver in and ask him to hook it up directly. A good dealer should be willing to do that for you.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Don't forget with the consumer direct companies you have thirty days to try them in your home with your equipment. If you try just a pair instead of the whole 5.1 system shipping is pretty inexpensive.

In my case it costs more to go listen at the local Paradigm dealer(25mi each way) "free" once I figure in cost per mile to operate my car than it does to have a pair of brand "X" speakers shipped to my door and ship them back.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Eddy13, you need to realize that what they sound like in your local store is not what they will sound like in your home. You might find a store that is set up nicely, like the few Tweeter stores I have seen, or poorly, like The Good Guys, Best Buy and Circuit City.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bpape thats great advise. Can I really take my Receiver to my local audio store. This store is actually by appoitnemnt only that way they can set up which ever speakers and set up you want to listen to. Do you think I can take my receiver over there to find out how it will sound with my denom

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Eddy, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to bring your receiver there. Unless it is obviously underpowered, they would probably let you hook it up. If it was not up to the task, they might say no to prevent you from blowing out their drivers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Eddy, looks like you've got a severe case of the upgrade bug :)

My advice, no matter what product you settle on -- upgrade one thing at a time, instead of replacing the entire system at once.

For example, if you have $ 1250 or so right now, put that into one or two components that are "the best that you can buy", that you won't want to (or "need to") upgrade later.

Have a plan. Perhaps you'd be better off putting all that money into buying three speakers for your fronts - say two bookshelves and a center from a line that you have listened to and liked . Then, later on, if you want to upgrade again, move the bookshelves to surround duty and buy your fronts from the same line.

As another example, if you plunk $ 800 on an excellent sub now, perhaps you wouldn't need to upgrade it again. It may be the only thing you upgrade right now, but at least you won't be tossing out an entire system.

It may take patience, but if you see yourself upgrading again in the future this will save some money in the long run.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Poindexter

As for not wanting to make a mistake, well, we all make mistakes in life. Even experts here probably have closets full of equipment that would classify as a mistake. Still, Phase Tech and HSU are pretty safe bets.
This will soon be my setup. I have the Hsu VTF-12 sub, which i run in max-extension mode, and I'm really happy with it. My Phase Technology V-12s are on-order, and should be here next week sometime.

I'll post my impressions of the combination after I get the V-12s set-up and broken-in a bit.

cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.