AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am new to the plasma scene and I want to get a tv for Christmas. I have decided to go with a plasma. I want something that is 1080p and around $800 max I am looking for the best possible picture I can get for that price. I have been looking at the 42" panasonic S2 and G25 series. I really like the picture I saw on a G25 series. My question is, what else is out there and what do you guys recommend?

Also I keep reading about burn in DVD that people are running? What is this and is it necessary? Also if I want to have the tv calibrated why does a professional calibration usually cost?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After some more reading it is between the S2 and G25 I saw both in the store the G25 was hooked up to a dedicated source and looked great. The S2 was displaying the same source as quite a few other tvs and looked washed out in comparison. Will there be a huge difference in picture quality fir hd satellite and blu ray when these tvs are both properly calibrated?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm ok yeah I mean I can afford the G25 with a bit of stretching but I guess I am just trying to make sure it is worth the extra$$ or if I should just go S2 and then save for a better blu ray player

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would say is get the blu-ray player later and get the best tv possible which is the G25 for your price range. Ratings on Consumer Reports show the G25 at 79 and S2 at 73. So from every evidence I've found, the G25 is definitely worth it. Not just for the internet. Also nice to get the free speakers with the G25.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be sitting about 8-10 feet away and I am not concerned about the size of the tv. I am concerned with picture quality and I haven't found a 1080p set that is 50" and $800

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm I suppose but still is ther a 720p 50" pannel that has the picture quality of the G25 series. I am really looking for the best picture I can get for around $800. I also figured there is no point in going 720

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also I know they say that you can't see a difference between 720p and 1080p unless it is on a bigger screen and at a closer distance. But every time I have seen a 1080p set compared to a 720p set of the same manufacturer the 1080p set looked like a better picture to me. I am not contributing that to the difference in resolution per say, but maybe the fact that the panel itself is a better panel wether it's displaying 720p or 1080p it just has a better picture. That is ultimately what I am looking for. I want the best picture I can get. I saw Pirates of The Caribbean playing on a Samsung LED on blu ray in a store and it looked absolutely stunning, it looked like you could reach out and touch the people like they were in the room. I haven't seen an HD picture that good from any other HDTV I have seen including my buddies 5-6 year old Panny Plasma he got from sams club. However the G25 I saw in a showroom the other day blew away by its picture. So I am thinking that is going to be the way to go. I mean I know you guys probably know alot more than me which is why I am asking here, but my ultimate goal is to get the BEST picture possible for $800, I want it to look absolutely stunning and like I could reach out and touch the people or as close to that as humanly possible. I know the G25 is the best panny I can get in my price range and is supposed to be a good step up from the S2, now I don't mind going with another brand but no one has seemed to think there is a picture that is as good or better than the panasonic in my price range.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarsen77 /forum/post/19578305

Also I know they say that you can't see a difference between 720p and 1080p unless it is on a bigger screen and at a closer distance. But every time I have seen a 1080p set compared to a 720p set of the same manufacturer the 1080p set looked like a better picture to me. I am not contributing that to the difference in resolution per say, but maybe the fact that the panel itself is a better panel wether it's displaying 720p or 1080p it just has a better picture. That is ultimately what I am looking for. I want the best picture I can get. I saw Pirates of The Caribbean playing on a Samsung LED on blu ray in a store and it looked absolutely stunning, it looked like you could reach out and touch the people like they were in the room. I haven't seen an HD picture that good from any other HDTV I have seen including my buddies 5-6 year old Panny Plasma he got from sams club. However the G25 I saw in a showroom the other day blew away by its picture. So I am thinking that is going to be the way to go. I mean I know you guys probably know alot more than me which is why I am asking here, but my ultimate goal is to get the BEST picture possible for $800, I want it to look absolutely stunning and like I could reach out and touch the people or as close to that as humanly possible. I know the G25 is the best panny I can get in my price range and is supposed to be a good step up from the S2, now I don't mind going with another brand but no one has seemed to think there is a picture that is as good or better than the panasonic in my price range.

The 720p panels today are basically the same panels with minor tweaks compared with the panels of three years ago. The 1080p stuff has gotten the substantive updates. That accounts for part of the difference.

·
Registered
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarsen77 /forum/post/19578470

That is what I am saying. So go with the G25 still at the 42" size since it is all I can afford.

I did the same. That was all I can afford. I had to scrap for everything including returning a weaker tc-42px24 which was actually pretty good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I am actually getting pretty lucky. This is going to be my Christmas present and I will be paying the difference otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford anything near as nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm I will have to look into it some more. I have read some reviews quickly and one person said that the only contender to it was the G25 and that the G25 may be arguably better than the LG, but not $100-$200 better. So I will see if I can find an LG out at a store to take a look at. I like that it is 1080p, cause like I said I know that there have been advances in the other technologies on the panels other than just resolution that haven't been applied to the 720p sets.

I also like that there are professional calibration settings available on the forums here for the G25 with the service menu offsets as well. I haven't looked enough for it but just through browsing don't seem to see as much on the LG on here. I am also thinking 50" might be a bit big for my bedroom. But I will have to see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks I was planning on the G25 if I go panasonic, but now the LG 50PK550 has been thrown into the mix and I have read that it is very close to the G25. It does some things better than the G25 and some things the G25 does better.

So now I guess I have to weigh those options. The one nice thing about the G25 is the settings available on the forums here for it, that basically give you close to an ISF calibrated display if I understand them correctly. Which is nice not having to spend the few hundred dollars to have the set calibrated.

So now I have to decide on those two sets. I like that 50" on the LG but I think its going to be too big for my room the 42" is almost perfect. I will be mostly watching in a completely dark room at night so glare is not an issue for me it is for my bedroom and there is one window that will be behind the right side of the screen but like I said it will be night most of the time anyway and there are blinds over the window that keep most the light out. I will also have the lights in the room off rather than on when watching a movie so there should be little to no light in the room to worry about.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.