AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I figure it's time to start purchasing a real home theater system. I've been a HtIb person for years now. So I figure it's time to upgrade.

This is what I have now.sony ht6900dp

I'll be buying over the next few months. It makes since to me to start with the receiver.

I have a 600$ budget for the receiver.

I use a PS3 to watch my movies and blue rays.

My TV is a 47" Panasonic 720P

The room is 18Lx13W

I would say I play more video games than I watch movies.

The receivers that have looked best to me are either 1 of these 3

Onkyo TX-SR608

Onkyo HT-RC180

Denon AVR-2310CI

But as you can see from what I have now. I'm not sure I should just pick 1 on my own with out asking some people that know more than me.

If there's anything else that might help to pick the best receiver for me. Please ask.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
That's a good sized budget these days for a moderately priced AVR...

I'm partial to Yamaha as I have a rx-v765 and absolutely love it. That said, I found some ideas for you...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882115139 not 3D capable if you need that but a powerful AVR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120155 not much of an onkyo guy but it does have audessey (sp?) and 7 hdmi inputs plus it's $350 off once you add it to your cart

http://www.jr.com/pioneer/pe/PIO_VSX1120K/ very popular these days on AVS. Lots of features and it's under 500 when you add it to the cart.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
93,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercripple /forum/post/19543882

The receivers that have looked best to me are either 1 of these 3

Onkyo TX-SR608

Onkyo HT-RC180

Denon AVR-2310CI

Of those three, I'd rule out the 608 right off the bat as it has the lower version Audyssey 2EQ (ie. no sub filtering). The RC1808 and the 2310 both have Audyssey MultEQ (w/sub filtering), although the RC180 offers networking which the 2310 does not. The 2310, however, can be found at clearance prices (where still available) at Best Buy stores for $200-$400 depending on the store and can still be firmware updated by the user via the RS-232 connection.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Since you don't need 3D support, check out the Denon 3310.

Alternatively, the best receiver in your price range WITH 3D support, at just $500, is the Pioneer 1120.

I would pick either of those over any of the ones in your list...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19545909

Since you don't need 3D support, check out the Denon 3310.

Alternatively, the best receiver in your price range WITH 3D support, at just $500, is the Pioneer 1120.

I would pick either of those over any of the ones in your list...

Do they both have sub filtering?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
mcacc does not apply eq to the sub... only trim and distance are applied to the sub channel...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye8084 /forum/post/19548140

dont mean to highjack this thread but I'm looking for a new AVR too.

Is sub filtering and eq for the sub important?

They are very important, as most problems with room acoustic are in sub frequency range.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If your budget is say around $1500, I wouldn't spend $600 on a receiver. I think that you should ask around as to what a good system should consist of from your budget standpoint before buying.

With a $1500 budget I'd look at receivers starting at $400 or less, and put your money where it matters with the speakers and subwoofer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj
mcacc does not apply eq to the sub... only trim and distance are applied to the sub channel...
So I should rule the Pioneer 1120 out then?

Now It's between the

ONKYO HT-RC270

Denon 3310CI

Onkyo TX-NR807.

Im 90% sure the Denon AVR3310CI is the best for me. It has all the features I need/want and I can get for 657$ shipped.

Can someone take a look at it and see if there's any red flags before i order it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.