AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completing my basement and would like to chose a FP for the media room. The room is 10.5x13.5 and the ability for total darkness with no windows. I have a supplier that I can get Optomas through at a price lower than I can find on the web so I am leaning towards this brand. My question is without money being an issue between the two go with the hd65 or the hd806. The unit would be used mostly for movies. What would I be gaining by going with hd806 and spending another $1000? I is there a different model I should look at in the same price range as the Optoma HD806. Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'll start by saying I'm new to this projector game... but am an extensive information sink and overly research nearly every purchase. I decided on the HD806 quite some time ago and waited it out for an Optoma price drop that I felt had to come with the economy. It did and I pulled the trigger... this afternoon.

However, for your room/lighting concerns what I have personally researched makes me think the HD806 is major overkill and the compromises made in the HD806 to make it a light canon aren't necessary for your space.

I'd keep looking for an alternative to the HD806. I made my decision based upon ambient light/light gaming, my desire to have low lighting so I'm not in a black space due to personal issues with TV in a black room giving me contact lens issues. I'm probably one of the few that while I have the ability to do a 120 screen, will probably go with a 106. I want a nice large screen, but sometimes find too large becomes almost distracting. My opinions nothing more.

You have a relatively short room, so you may be looking for other options as the HD806 appears to need a fair amount of space to throw the picture.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You will have a short throw for any DLP projector. I'd recommend the BenQ W5000 if you want great quality 1080P movies. Its cheaper than the Optima 806, but also a little dimmer. If you can control light in the basement, then it won't matter. If you calibrate the BenQ, the picture quality is second to none. If you are more an "out of the box" kind of guy, look into panasonic projectors. They look really nice out of the box with out having to tweak much. I have both. I use my BenQ for my everyday movies/sports. The DLP is perfect for high speed action. My panny is used mostly for outdoor movies now. The only drawback for a DLP set up is the short room length. You would be limited to a 100" screen or slightly smaller. In the end it won't really matter what you get. You will love it, and six months from now you will feel the upgrade bug bite ya

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
1900 is a great price. Optoma does have a new under 3k 1080p projector with dynamic black showing at CES tomorrow. I'll get one to test but logic tells me I'm going to want one. 10000.1 or more, we shall see.

Dynamic black is a huge new feature for DLP's, hard to detech and will make dark scenes black without the haze.

It also has a new platform larger case with vertical lens shift, not a hugh shift but enough to make setup easier.

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman /forum/post/15492207

1900 is a great price. Optoma does have a new under 3k 1080p projector with dynamic black showing at CES tomorrow. I'll get one to test but logic tells me I'm going to want one. 10000.1 or more, we shall see.

Dynamic black is a huge new feature for DLP's, hard to detech and will make dark scenes black without the haze.

It also has a new platform larger case with vertical lens shift, not a hugh shift but enough to make setup easier.

Whatever happened to Optoma's LED projector? Do you know if they are showing this at CES? Is it a picoprojector or a home theater projector?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts

Quote:

Optoma does have a new under 3k 1080p projector with dynamic black showing at CES tomorrow.

HD82?

Is it based on this Chillintech pj?
http://www.chilintech.com.tw/product...=251&pid_x=249

Quote:

It is a great technology. My Benq W5000 has it and black scenes are outstanding. They introduced it about year ago.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My question is will the hd806 be to bright for the room with no ambient light but be okay if there is some low light on. Very new to FPs

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:

1900 is a great price. .

I'll just say... check with forum advertisers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any owners of the hd806 that use it in total darkness, and those that have 1080p's are they that much better to warrant the extra $1000?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I have the 806, but I like to watch in ambient light. You can close down the iris manually if you think it's too bright and it will give you some extra depth in your picture as well.

Reactions: korsjs
1 - 12 of 12 Posts